RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Impressionist plugin: Custom styles (member posted)

Old 01-29-2005, 04:43 PM

I was experimenting with the Impressionist > Texture > Crosshatch Web - Monochrome and came up with three variations that I thought rendered sketch-like effects that had possibilities.

#1 - Detailed
#2 - Detailed, but softer (not as sharp) than #1
#3 - Loose with little detail

(Like all Impressionist custom brush sets, upzip the .zip file and drag the .set file into Impressionist's
\User Settings
folder.)

I applied each brush style (in #3, #2, #1 order from the bottom up) to copies of the base image (click HERE).

Hide all layer masks (Layer > Add Layer Mask > Hide all) were added to the top two layers. The foreground color was set to white (press D and X keys). Using Photoshop brush Chalk 36, I airbrushed white on each layer mask to selectively reveal detail.

A new layer was added and the three layers below were combined into it by entering Alt + Ctrl + Shift + E (or Alt + Layer > Merge visible). A reveal all (regular) layer mask was added to the new layer (Layer > Add Layer Mask > Reveal all).

A new layer was added under the combined layer and filled with white (Edit > Fill > White).

Back to the combined layer, I clicked on the layer mask thumbnail to activate the layer mask. The foreground color was set to black by pressing D and black was airbrushed around the outside to isolate our cute, little girl.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4x side-by-side.jpg (98.5 KB, 779 views)
File Type: jpg 4x side-by-side LP.jpg (30.0 KB, 288 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip #djr-pencil2.zip (438 Bytes, 496 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2005, 10:24 AM

#djr Smudge Paint

Well, the Mad Scientist was at it again. I was experimenting with the Stamp > Dry rag style, substitued a "smudge" brush, tweaked the Size settings (min, max, width, height) and came up with this set of three.

Smudge Paint 1S = Smallest strokes
Smudge Paint 2M = Medium strokes
Smudge Paint 3L = Large strokes

The basic method I use is to duplicate the original background three times and apply a style to each copy, with smallest to largest applied top to bottom.

Add Hide All layer masks to the medium and small layers and with foreground color set to white, paint on the layer masks to restore as much detail as you like.

See this thread for before and after examples.
Attached Files
File Type: zip #djr Smudge Paint.zip (371 Bytes, 652 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2005, 11:55 PM

For those who have read Jeremy Sutton books or viewed his DVDs, he uses a method in Painter that he calls "mucking up" (that's muck, with an M) for creating an underpainting. This is essentially an application of digital "paint" that very, very loosely resembles the final result. It becomes a background onto which varying degrees of detail are eventually applied.

While experimenting with Impressionist the other day I came upon a custom style that "mucks up" an image Jeremy style. There are three variants: Medium (M), Large (L) and Extra Large (X).

Perhaps you will find them useful in your creations.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muck setting examples.jpg (62.5 KB, 846 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip #djr Muckup.zip (364 Bytes, 405 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2005, 10:52 PM

Impressionist mosaic .set file

I was *sure* I'd posted this .set file a long time ago, but I sure cannot find it...

I must be getting old -- in fact, I know I am. Here it is anyway.

Click here for one example and the attachment below for another. Both have a layer created by duplicating the Background and applying Impressionist custom style "#Mosaic > Square variable on white".

On top of the mosaic layer is a layer of "lines" created by duplicating the Background again, dragging this layer above the mosaic layer, applying Stylize > Find Edges followed by Image > Adjustment > Levels (to eliminate some noise). Changing the blend mode of this lines layer to Darken neutralizes the white allowing the mosaic layer below to show through.

Have fun.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zach mosaic.jpg (97.6 KB, 568 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip #Mosaic.zip (650 Bytes, 247 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2005, 03:52 AM

Thank you. I missed the muckup one altogether and really appreciative as I'll certainly try this one out very soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2005, 12:55 PM

KentC custom settings

These settings are courtesy of Kent Christiansen ("Thanks, Kent"!).

One I find especially interesting is his "Van Gogh" style.
Attached Files
File Type: zip #kentc.zip (630 Bytes, 524 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 04:32 AM

Vincent

The photo Danny referred is from digitalnuts weekly challenge. My Vincent style now has four versions. In the photo I used versions 2 and 3 with with modifications to the size and orientation parameters. Each modified version was painted into the picture using a black mask (hide all) and white brush. The layers were then merged and duplicated before painting the next area. Below is the new Vincent set and photo.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zepher.jpg (86.8 KB, 700 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Vincent.zip (334 Bytes, 527 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2005, 06:48 AM

Here are some presets I came up with for Impressionist, and here's a painting I did with one of them. Hope you like 'em, and many thanks to everyone who has posted presets before me!

Larger view:
http://www.pbase.com/catbounds/image/51449047
Attached Images
File Type: jpg island-girl-copy-rtp.jpg (78.9 KB, 575 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip cat.zip (435 Bytes, 435 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2005, 07:19 AM

Way cool Cat. I like the way you have been able to control the direction of the strokes and how they interact. I think I'll give this one a try. Thanks.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniday
Here are some presets I came up with for Impressionist, and here's a painting I did with one of them. Hope you like 'em, and many thanks to everyone who has posted presets before me!
Thank you for sharing your creativity, Cat. The style that creates the larger watercolor strokes is especially impressive. I'm looking forward to digging into that one.

Keep on building those custom presets!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources