RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Impressionist plugin: Custom styles (member posted)

Old 10-31-2005, 02:58 PM

Thanks, Danny & Janet. Creating these presets is sort of addictive, buy I always figure there are worse addictions
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Patron

Van Gogh examples

Well, I couldn't decide which one I liked better so I saved both presets. Just remember that each requires the target file original.bmp for the orientation (so you will need to click the More Settings option in Impressionist and have some fun).

lk

============

These presets can be downloaded from post #28 below...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (98.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg VG.jpg (99.7 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg VG2.jpg (98.5 KB, 454 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 02-03-2006 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Reference added (blue text) to find the custom styles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 05:13 PM

Cool

Thanks.. lkroll. Agree with you, hard to know which one to use, they both came out so well..

Later..
Gad..I need help with this...never have understood adding an extra file dealie.

Could you explain in more detail... What pix do I use to save as bmp? Also what size should it be and where do I store it? Know I go thru "file" to get it..then what??
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCOIN
Thanks.. lkroll. Agree with you, hard to know which one to use, they both came out so well..

Later..

Could you explain in more detail... What pix do I use to save as bmp? Also what size should it be and where do I store it? Know I go thru "file" to get it..then what??
Just save your target image as a bitmap and call it original.bmp. It has to be a .BMP, .TIF, or .Targa for this Orientation file since that's all the choices Impressionist gives you. You could just browse for the file, but I don't want to complicate matters. Just save this .BMP file in the same place where your target photo resides and everything will go well. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Whenever you use a File with Impressionist, it MUST be:
a) The exact same size and resolution as the image you're working on. One way to ensure this requirement is met is to duplicate the image you're working on and save the duplicate as "the file" for the intended purpose. You can assign whatever file name you like. ##
b) In either .bmp or .tif format, even if the original is, say, .jpg or .psd.

In other words, from Impressionist HELP,
Quote:
The file can be in TIFF (.tif), bitmap (.bmp), or Targa (.tga) format. Note that the file selected must have identical dimensions to the original input image.

After the file is read in, it is converted to grayscale (if it is not already) and the strokes are oriented according to the brightness of the file image at each stroke location. For example, in bright areas of the file image, the strokes will be oriented one way and in darker areas of the file image the strokes will be oriented another way (depending on the Number of Angles, Start Angle, and Range of Angles settings).
## When Lyle created his custom style, he had created and specified a file named original.bmp. So, when his style is imported into your Impressionist enviromement and you try it, it's going to be looking for file original.bmp, which it won't find.

To get around the error:
* click OK (to close the error message)
* click More Controls
* Choose Orientation from the dropdown menu
* Open the "Orient the Strokes" menu and choose By File...
* Navigate to YOUR orientation file
* Click Apply to render the effect

Does this help?

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Patron

Lyle's custom presets, Van Gogh, Mosaic, Thread

To simplify things I took the liberty of consolidating Lyle's presets into two .set files...

The settings in the 1st file, #LK all.set, use Orientation option "Optionally". Just apply these like you would any other Impressionist style.

- - - - - - -

The settings in the 2nd file, #LK all with file.set, use Orientation option "By file..." and require what's known as a stroke direction file named original.bmp. Optionally you may specify another file. See Impressionist HELP topic Orientation Controls for more information on stroke direction file requirements.

IMPORTANT: When you attempt to apply any of the presets in the second collection for the first time, you will get an error message indicating a missing file, in this case "original.bmp".

For corrective action click here and scroll down to the section that addresses

Symptom: Message "[file name]." The system cannot find the path specified."

==================

Thanks again, Lyle, for crafting these custom styles.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imp missing file.jpg (6.7 KB, 112 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip LKroll impressionist styles.zip (1.4 KB, 322 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 02-03-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2006, 02:05 AM

any Papers?

Hi, I see that people have posted sets and Brushes but dose anyone have papers too?
Thanks,
Robert
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2006, 12:36 PM

Okay, just played for hour with this new skill.. Works great, changed both brush & color palette..Wow
Thank you both lkroll & Danny. Couldn't yet find a pix that showed off this effect to its best.

Robert... you can make your paper, saving it as a "Tif." I did using Painter's & Trimoon's paper ...Think the size was about 400, then stored them with the paper as a separate folder. After you make your paper, create a folder, put all of your new paper in it & move that folder into the Impressionist paper folder. It shows up, when you under "more control,' ...opens the paper screen under "custom."
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Patron

Quote:
Okay, just played for hour with this new skill.. Works great, changed both brush & color palette..Wow
Thank you both lkroll & Danny. Couldn't yet find a pix that showed off this effect to its best.

Robert... you can make your paper, saving it as a "Tif." I did using Painter's & Trimoon's paper ...Think the size was about 400, then stored them with the paper as a separate folder. After you make your paper, create a folder, put all of your new paper in it & move that folder into the Impressionist paper folder. It shows up, when you under "more control,' ...opens the paper screen under "custom."
Glad you figured out how; took me a little longer than an hour on my attempt reading both Danny's notes and others so you got one up on me. It's just cool that when you do figure out all those little settings that you get that Ah Hah feeling. That's cool. I again want to thank Danny for all the earlier posts that lead me to not only figure out some of the power of Impressionist, but also even create my own presets. Now, after seeing some of the fantastic results, I need to get a copy of Gertrudis (link thanks to Craig, a.k.a., Kraellin). I guess I need to start saving up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Patron

Threading the needle with Impressionist.

Well I'm finally ready for prime time with this simulation. Trust me I had to do a lot of playing for it to look right. You can find the reference image here since I started the whole idea on this thread (no pun intended ). After applying the preset, just sharpen it up a bit.

Edit: figured out my single stitch method out too, so I just uploaded new presets. Click on the attachment again if you haven't seen this message before and already downloaded the preset. Here's a sample of this.

- - - - - - -

Thanks, Lyle. These are very cool.

NOTE: These custom styles can be downloaded from post #27 above.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poppy2_crop.jpg (98.3 KB, 347 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 07-05-2006 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Add tech note.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources