RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting

Old 04-01-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerRB
Are you by any chance using a Mac? I have experience problems with .8bf files before.

T
You are on top of your game, Tyler. Turned out he was using a Mac.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Unable to open other brushes

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the link to the Impressionist plug-in. As suggested in your e-mail, I created a folder in PSP7/Plugins, named it "Impressionist" and unzipped the files in it. The only brush that worked was Charcoal - Default.

I moved the files out of the Impressionist folder and into the Plug-in folder, and then deleted the empty Impressionist folder. That solved the problem.

Hope this is of some help to others.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
Hi Danny,

Thanks for the link to the Impressionist plug-in. As suggested in your e-mail, I created a folder in PSP7/Plugins, named it "Impressionist" and unzipped the files in it. The only brush that worked was Charcoal - Default.

I moved the files out of the Impressionist folder and into the Plug-in folder, and then deleted the empty Impressionist folder. That solved the problem.

Hope this is of some help to others.
Sure appreciate the update, Henry. Glad you got over the hump.

To clarify you ended up with the equivalent of unzipping the .zip directly into PSP's \plugins folder?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 01:44 PM

Preview Problem?

I just loaded Impressionist and have it working in PSPx. My only question at the moment concerns the Preview windows.

The top preview window contains a very small box which can be moved around with the cursor (turns into a 4-sided set of arrows).
The bottom left preview window moves around as you drag the small box around in the upper window.

The bottom right preview window (where I assume the effect is supposed to show up) does not move at all and thus it is impossible to see the effect without clicking Apply and changing the entire image.

How can I get the right side preview window to be active? What else do I need to know?

Thanks for any help.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 03:39 PM

ken,

as i recall, under that third window, the one that is blank and doesnt move, there shld be a button named 'preview' or something like that. just click on it and it will show what the little box in the big preview window shows.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 05:18 PM

Craig: thanks. Yes, the Preview button does show a preview. It was completely grey and did not seem to show anything but in fact displayed a tiny portion of the full image. Almost useless unless there is a way to increase the size of the little box that you steer around in the image.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken45140
[the preview is]...Almost useless unless there is a way to increase the size of the little box that you steer around in the image.
I can sure understand how not having much preview flexibility would be frustrating at this stage while you're trying to absorb all the installed presets and options.

For what it's worth this plugin was developed by Microsoft over 10 years ago for FrontPage 95 and it never received any functional updates. So the preview function is what it is, unfortunately.

There is hope, however. If it turns out you start using Impressionist on a regular basis, quirks and limitations are easier to overlook and results are easier to predict, hence less of a need for the preview.

Something to try: Experiment on relatively small, low-res images, say in the ballpark of 8"x10" and 72-120 ppi or so. Rendering times should be fairly short, which should make the discovery process a more pleasant experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2006, 01:18 PM

Impressionist crashes

I am using impressionist in Elements 2, on a mac and virtual PC. My file is 18mb, 7x10 inches at 300dpi. When selecting aportion of the image, running a filter is OK, but when trying on the whole image, the sytem repeated freezes. I tried reducing to 200 dpi, and decreasing to 4x5 inches, but still get freezes. Any solution? Is there a size or dpi limit I am exceeding?

MDIJB
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2006, 01:22 PM

ken,

yes, you only get a small portion of the main window showing in the preview box. you also have to update the preview manually each time you make a change. you can move what portion of the preview shows by moving the little blue box outline in the other window and then hit preview again. but, if there is any 'fault' with impressionist, this is it, the preview window stuff. it needs to be bigger and in real time.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdijb
I am using impressionist in Elements 2, on a mac and virtual PC. My file is 18mb, 7x10 inches at 300dpi. When selecting aportion of the image, running a filter is OK, but when trying on the whole image, the sytem repeated freezes. I tried reducing to 200 dpi, and decreasing to 4x5 inches, but still get freezes. Any solution? Is there a size or dpi limit I am exceeding?

MDIJB
On a 7"x10" 300 ppi image Impresisionist chugs along pretty slow on a PC, but it does eventually finish.

I would surmise the freezes you are experiencing are caused by an "out of RAM" condition that is causing Mac OS and/or Windows under Virtual PC to choke.

Things to try if you haven't already...
* If you're running other applications, shut them down before launching Elements.
* If you can adjust how much RAM a program can use under Mac OS, you might bump that value up.
* Keep experimenting with image resolution and dimensions. (I'd start with 125-150 ppi and keep notching it down from there.) When you find a combination that survives, up-res the image in steps after applying Impressionist to your final print resolution. What will make this a little hit-and-miss is the resources (CPU, RAM) Impressionist uses is a function of which options are specified during a given run.

Keep us posted if any of this helps.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources