RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting

Old 03-01-2006, 01:22 PM

Continued frustration with Impressionist

Thanks Danny for all your suggestons. I allocated the maximum memory to Virtual painter and PSE as possible and made a little progress but then the freezes keep occuring. I also tried all the hints for given to keep strokes small, and the time required to process was forever, and the results are still too destructive for my tastes.

I guess I stick to the painting software I have and try to get success with that.

Thanks for your help.

MDIJB
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 12:39 AM

Try this:
Ctrl Alt Del, Processes, select Photoshop, right-click on it and select "set priority: high, OK.
That will give much more power to Photoshop.
Good luck,
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia1065
Try this:
Ctrl Alt Del, Processes, select Photoshop, right-click on it and select "set priority: high, OK.
That will give much more power to Photoshop.
Good luck,
This is facinating, so I had to give this a try.

I applied a custom preset that I know runs real slow multiple times against the same. Here are the results. Times at each setting are averages of 3 runs on a PC with 1.4 Mhz CPU and 1 GB RAM, running Windows 2000 SP4, Photoshop 7 and a few inactive sessions of Internet Explorer:
...Time...-.Priority Setting via Task Manager
* 78 sec - Normal
* 75 sec - High
* 73 sec - Realtime (note: PS get priority over moving mouse!)

I was hoping for a bigger improvement than 4%-6%, but it is what it is. Everyones' system is going to be different, so results will vary.

It was fun experimenting. You learn something new everyday. Thanks for sharing this tidbit.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 12:27 PM

Hi Danny,
Well, I suppose it depends on how many programs are running in the background. I always have at least 4 or 5 programs open at the same time, and giving Photoshop priority over all of them does make a difference.
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Hi Danny,
Well, I suppose it depends on how many programs are running in the background. I always have at least 4 or 5 programs open at the same time, and giving Photoshop priority over all of them does make a difference.
Sylvia
I'm not disputing your report at all. My tests confirmed your suggestion: Raising Photoshop's priority does make a difference.

In my case the difference wasn't particularly significant. In your case it is, and that's terrific. Under the right circumstances your suggestion will surely benefit many folks who surf here.

re: Well, I suppose it depends on how many programs are running in the background.

I was talking this over with a tech-jock friend. Here's a paraphrase of how he explained it to me. Keep in mind this a 30 minute techno-babble discussion summed up in a few paragraphs.

Quote:
To some degree the number of programs running in the background can be a factor, but what usually eats your lunch is all those other processes [tasks] such as spyware and virus watchers which continually utilize processor resources and incur Windows overhead.

If you open Task Manager when you're not doing anything, the CPU utilization should be fairly low. [In my case it bounces between 1%-4%]. You will see the value change as Windows services the running tasks and chews up some resources for itself. When you launch a CPU intensive process such as Impressionist, CPU utilization pegs at 100% until the filter completes doing its thing. Photoshop is getting most of the CPU, but not all of it. Windows gives a little to all the other tasks as well.

Increasing Photoshop's processing priority starves the other processes and at the same time lowers Windows overhead, including things like task switching, memory management and what's known as paging.

Your [my] unscientific results indicate when given more CPU resources, Photoshop got the job done in ~4% less time, which correlates to system idle resource utilization on your [my] PC.

The most benefit from raising Photoshop's priority will most likely be seen on systems with some combination of low RAM in terms of Windows' and/or program needs (more paging = longer wait time), relatively slow disk drives (slower throughput), fragmented disk drives (slows down Windows paging and PS swap file activity) and/or a lot of concurrent background processes.
That and three bucks might get you a latte at Starbucks.

In any event your suggestion was a good one, Sylvia. It sure can't hurt to try it.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 08:16 PM

Smile

Hi Danny,
It looks like you had a "good time" with that technician friend of yours!
Quote:
Here's a paraphrase of how he explained it to me. Keep in mind this a 30 minute techno-babble discussion summed up in a few paragraphs.
lol
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Hi Danny,
It looks like you had a "good time" with that technician friend of yours!

lol
Sylvia
Actually my head hurt when we were done. I get pretty numb after a few minutes of such one-sided conversations. I was surprised that I wrote semi-made sense (to me) when I finished! (LOL)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2008, 07:46 AM

Re: Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting

This might be the wrong place to post this; but I thought I'd jump in with a tidbit I've discovered.

I've not been around much for a few months for several reasons, not the least of which is that my old computer (and good friend) was slowly dying.

Now with its death and subsequent replacement, I find that the Impressionist plug-in no longer works in Photoshop CS4 on a 64-bit machine running Windows Vista.

Also be aware that the lightening fast 64-bit computers that run this new Photoshop will also make obsolete a lot of the other plug-ins we all know and love to use.

Sign me still getting used to a machine that actually performs well, doesn't hang up for hours, and a monitor without huge white holes all over it, a sound system that actually produces sound (quite a shock I might add), and lots of little differences I'm still getting used to. I'm also poorer that I used to be (oh yeah).

Merry Christmas all.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2008, 04:40 PM

Janet, I've been thinking of upgrading my computer, but your post now has given me second thoughts. Do you think the culprit (re Impressionist Plugin) is with Vista, CS4, or simply both?
Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
I find that the Impressionist plug-in no longer works in Photoshop CS4 on a 64-bit machine running Windows Vista.
I had a report that Impressionist under CS4 under Vista (32-bit) works fine; now we know for sure 64-bit is a problem for my favorite plugin.

FYI: It's been reported elsewhere that Paint Engine has issues with Vista, too.

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 12-21-2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: update text
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources