Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial (link): Magazine covers templates

Old 12-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Tutorial (link): Magazine covers templates

Linda Vich turned me onto this tutorial and the magazine logo templates.

If you're wondering about a Christmas gift, how about a People magazine cover shot of your kids or spouse?

* I got the barcode image via a Google (images) search using barcode as a search argument
* For a more realistic result than I got, it would help to have a copy of the magizine you're trying to mimic handy. This will help as you choose fonts and to where things like "headline text", barcode, date, etc. should be placed.

How I got the color filled letters...
* After opening the logo file, I sized the logo so it was compatible with the cover photo. Then I copied/pasted the logo layer into the image file and positioned the logo accordingly.
* Click the foreground color swatch and from the color picker, pick any color -- as long as it's not black, white or a shade of gray. You can fine tune (or completely change) the color later.
* Ctrl + click on the layer name. This will "load the selection." (Marching ants). You've selected the lines that define the logo.
* Select > Inverse (select everything except the lines)
* Edit > Fill > Foreground color (everything but the lines are filled with color)
* From the tools palette choose the Magic Wand tool. Options Anti-alias and Contiguous are checked on. Tolerance = 5.
* Click anywhere inside the logo. This will select the color inside the lines.
* Ctrl + J (to create a new layer from the selection)

Turn off the layer below to see your filled logo.

The red edges around the letters...
* Apply a Stroke Layer Style. Choose the "center" option for placement and experiment with the thickness.

Now for the color adjustments...
* Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Hue/Saturation. Click on the "group with previous" checkbox so the effect will only be applied to the text.
* In the Hue/Saturation dialog, adjust the H, S and L sliders until you get the color you want.

- - - - - - - -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg People for RP-yellow.jpg (94.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg People - surf-n-blue.jpg (96.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 12-11-2004 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Just found this one today, courtesy of Laurie (aka: DigitalinDC):

This is more of a "create your own cover" vs. using a prefabricated mockup.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources