RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Art Resources Photo manipulation/digital art tutorials, books, plugins, software, cool websites, etc., and info on the Impressionist plugin: troubleshooting, custom settings, tips & tricks, etc.

Tutorial (link): Watercolor, Wetcanvas

Old 03-23-2005, 05:54 PM

Danny

Wow! Thanks for all of the information and opinion in your impressive post. I am sure glad that I chose to see what was going on in here.

Your post has motivated me in more ways than one. For starters, it sounds like Painter is pretty much a must if I choose to take digital art beyond just a hooby someday. You have pretty much convinced me of that.

Are there extensive tutorials on Painter out there like with Photoshop? I could search and look, of course, I know, but are there ones that you recommend to start out with or just to peruse?

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerRB
Danny
Are there extensive tutorials on Painter out there like with Photoshop? I could search and look, of course, I know, but are there ones that you recommend to start out with or just to peruse?
T
Hi T, welcome to the party. I'm sure Danny will chime in here with his recs. but let me take the liberty to provide a link here in the forum for Painter tutorials. Don't know how extensive these are compared to what you're looking for but they were helpful to me.
Corel Painter Resources
The top of this post is a description of how to install Painter 8 patch. The tutorial links are further down.

HTH,
Ron
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2005, 06:53 PM

Obiron

Thanks for the link to thread. Any resources are appreciate no matter at which level they are aimed. Painter is completly new to me.

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerRB
Are there extensive tutorials on Painter out there like with Photoshop?
Not even close. The number of Painter tutorials is a drop in the bucket compared to what's available for Photoshop. That's not to say there aren't some very, very good tutorials, however. I'll do a little fishing and see what I can find.

I found Painter 8 Creativity by Jeremy Sutton to be just a terrific book for learning Painter basics. I've got the Painter IX version on order for when it eventually ships. Besides many, many detailed and richly illustrated hands-on exercises, the content addresses a considerable amount of "common sense" and "watch out for this pothole" topics.

The course offerings at www.EclecticAcademy.com on Painter are very reasonably priced and teach the basics from the ground up. The instructor is top notch technically and very, very helpful to rookies; the class materials are useful and the hands on exercises really help one grasp the mechanics of the program. I highly recommend this series of courses.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 04:59 AM

Danny

Thanks for the follow-up. I will look into perhaps getting some reading material and start very slowly. I wish I had time to take another online course. I am already taking two as it is.

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 05:52 PM

Being new to Painter 8 I've been, in recent times, frustrated with terms I did not understand that are used by Painter users such as 'wet on wet' etc. You've enlightened me once again Danny and I can't thank you enough.

For those new to Painter I'd like to mention "The Painter 8 Wow Book" (written by Cher Threinen-Pendarvis)which I recently purchased and received a week ago. This book is an inspiration, VERY enlightening indeed and at last I feel I can now settle back and really enjoy all that Painter has to offer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 02:24 PM

Thanks Danny!

I bought Painter 8 a while ago, but could never quite get going with it. So I bought Jeremy Sutton's book, but it has been sitting on my shelf, waiting for, I don't know, time, inspiration, what ever.

After reading your post, Danny, I dusted both off last night, and started in. I've only worked through to page 30 of the book, I stopped there to play with cloning. (with Hubby out of town, and no one to remind me to go to bed, you don't want to know how late it was when I quit . . . )

The waterfall was done with the Artist - Sargent brush, and the gull with the Artist - Impressionist brush.

Wow! I'm in heaven, I think I really am beginning to understand how it works. Now I have to tell myself to quit playing, and go back to working through the book. This is so much fun! And I have literally hundreds of images from my travels to work with . . . just never enough time.

Anybody got a few spare hours they could pass on to me?

Patricia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clone-of-waterfall.jpg (98.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Clone-of-gull.jpg (98.2 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 10:14 PM

WOW Particia, I'm impressed and not only with the techniques but with the photography of the bird. Great shot.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 11:12 PM

Sorry, Janet, I forgot to mention that neither of these are my photos - they're from a challenge in another group.

Thanks for the kind words, anyway.

Patricia
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-27-2005, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
I bought Painter 8...[and]...Jeremy Sutton's book... and started in [but there is] just never enough time.

Anybody got a few spare hours they could pass on to me?

Patricia
Congratulations on rolling up your sleeves, taking the leap and going to work, Patricia. You're doing terrific. These are simply wonderful. I especially like the artiness of the gull!

Keep on keepin' on, but do catch a few zzzzz's once in awhile!

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art > Photo-Art Resources