Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

What's your reaction?

View Poll Results: My reaction after viewing the attached image was "I like this style."
Strongly agree 5 10.87%
Agree 9 19.57%
Somewhat agree 16 34.78%
Somewhat disagree 7 15.22%
Disagree 9 19.57%
Strongly disagree 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2005, 08:27 PM
I agree w/ Vikki & Janet on the eyes. Soft blur can be used to good effect sometimes, but there just doesn't seem to be a reason for it on this photo. When I look at the eyes, I want to sharpen them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I like the overall effect; it has an ethereal 'feel' to it which I find pleasing. The line along the chin as has been mentioned seems out of place for such a soft treatment. Also, the hair along the brow line seems too stark for the soft effect.

Someone, (swengineer, I think) mentioned the hightlight banding and the overdone texture. These are the negatives that jump out at me. The texture is way too overpowering for the image IMHO. By highlight banding, if you mean the highlights on either side of the nose, that's what I noticed. It makes the face look like there are streaks of color missing in bands. If you can ignore the chin line and hair line, this banding tends to draw the eye to it. Then it appears that the bottom of the chin is missing (due to this hightlight banding? Tends to overly emphsize the chin line even more). There seems to be no focal point.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 09:38 AM
I think the more I look at it, the more appealing it seems to get. Quite surprisingly. Initially I thought NAH!! like camera blur? I think there's "something" to it which is making me stare harder! There seems to be something ethereal about it, overall. Are you sure the reduction in file size hasnt caused loss of clarity, to an extent?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 AM
honest reaction

[QUOTE=DannyRaphael]I need your help.

What I'm looking for in this poll is...

Your honest reaction to this effect. (see the choices in the poll)

After voting feel free to make suggestions to make it more pleasing to you.

Thanks in advance...

- - - - - - - -

I very much like the effect, I think it has a sort of modern renascence appeal to it, my critiques of the image is, though not sure if this is a result of the effect or just the choice of the image; the jaw line on the girls face is to sharp and defined, it seems to be abstract to the overall softness of the image. but that said I still think the effect is fantastic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
I have to say I do like the style even though Danny's version is somewhat softer than the one in the magazine, of course having the magazine makes a difference as I have tried the tutorial myself so can understand the technique involved.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 10:33 AM
Agree somewhat

It's a little too soft for my taste - and the chin line is distracting - as others have pointed out.

That being said, it does grow on me the longer I look at it. I'd like to see a version with less softness.

What were the other 2 tutorials in the magazine?

Since it was the February issue, our local B&N will probably get it by July

Bob Mc
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for the candid commentary and/or taking the time to cast a vote. This is just the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

As most of you know when you stare at something long enough, it's easy to be blinded to aspects of a piece that can be distracting or are lacking in emphasis.

Vikki: As one who greatly admires your skills and highly respects your "eye" for this type of thing, I was (a) delighted that you commented and (b) grateful for your "cut to the chase" observations, which I took as solid advice -- not harsh criticism. Your frankness made it easier for others who followed to not hold anything back. It's all good.

The poll results and comments so far pretty much sum up my own feelings ("In some ways I like it, but there's room for improvement") and confirm that for any given effect some people will like it and others won't.

Back to the drawing board. I'm a better person for having asked for this feedback.

Have a good Friday (as in Good Friday) wherever you may live on this wonderful planet.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Smile Thank you Danny

You know Danny, I want to express my own graditude for this post. These are the extra things that make this site so different from the others I've encountered. There are so many sites that can teach you how to use programs, but I am also an amateur in photography and art in general. I am still trying to develope my eye for things, and that can't always be taught in the traditional way. I do know that alot is personal perception, and so this will vary. But, my thanks go to the one's here who spoke of her jawline, and the texture. Although I posted how the overall picture appealed to me, I did not mention these things because I really couldn't put my finger on what it was that didn't seem right. Now I'm not going back on my feelings, because I really do like it. And it was also interesting to see that there were others who felt that it grew on them somehow. There is obviously something here that draws you to it. So, good luck at the drawing board Danny, as I'm sure you'll improve on this. And thank you to all of you for helping me to develope my eye, as this will help me in all my work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks Danny.
This is what a critique is all about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2005, 04:46 PM
It's worth having a look at Tim Shelbourne's site; in case its url has not been mentioned in this thread -
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art