Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

What's your reaction?

View Poll Results: My reaction after viewing the attached image was "I like this style."
Strongly agree 5 10.87%
Agree 9 19.57%
Somewhat agree 16 34.78%
Somewhat disagree 7 15.22%
Disagree 9 19.57%
Strongly disagree 0 0%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2005, 02:18 PM
What's your reaction?

I need your help.

What I'm looking for in this poll is...

Your honest reaction to this effect. (see the choices in the poll)

After voting feel free to make suggestions to make it more pleasing to you.

Thanks in advance...

- - - - - - - -

Who can vote?

Anyone: lurker, one who posts occasionally, regular participant. In other words, if you're reading this, you qualify.

- - - - - - - -

Additional information in case you're interested...

A good friend, Harry Ellerton, sent me the February, 2005 edition of "Digital Photo Effects," published in the UK. In this edition are three photo-art tutorials written by Tim Shelbourne which, in my opinion are quite unique, well explained and richly illustrated. As a bonus they are supplimented by video versions of each method (and the original base image) on the accompanying CD.

This interpretation is based on one of the tutorials.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Poll example 1.jpg (62.5 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 03-24-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Somewhat Agree

It's a neat effect, but the end result is too blurry for my taste.

Perhaps if you put the original image back on top, blend it 50% or something, add a solid layer mask, and then paint back in some of the details, like the eyes and a bit of detail here and there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 02:45 PM
My very first reaction was that it was too blurry for me also. But on a second look, it grew on me stongly. I find it touching.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Since I voted that I didn't like this effect, I felt I should say why.
Actually, there are a number of reasons (I'm just going to put down my honest, gut reaction):
The line along her chin and various other places. It's too distinct in an otherwise blurred image. Draws the eye right to it. Which brings me to the next one - It's blurry, and smeared looking, yet there is a lot of noise in the shadows. There also seems to be white steaks running down the image (looks like from the highlights in her face.)
Also, I don't care for what the effect has done to her features, especially her eyes.
Overall, I don't get the feeling any artistic thought went into this.

Was that too harsh?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 03:28 PM
Didn't quite see all that Vicky noticed, but certainly the line along her jawline hit a jarring note. Was not generally impressed by the effect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 03:30 PM
My vote was somewhere in the middle. I like the overall soft, romantic feel of the piece. The line along her chin is too well defined to fit the rest of the piece. I can understand the need for it, however, because it marks the transition between chin and neck. Could that have been achieved with shading rather than a line? What bothered me more than anything is that the eyes are not nearly as well defined as they need to be, especially when compared to the lips, which are nicely done. I'm intrigued with the technique. Are you going to share?

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Over all I have to say I like the effect. I agree with everyone that the line on the jaw is distracting and I believe there is too much detail loss to the eyes..they are more or less just shadows.

I am not sure this is a great effect for a portrait particularly one with such light hues and soft tones but I think it could be very nice on something such as landscapes, seascapes, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
I like the affect, but I think it would look prettier when applied to a nature scene.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 05:12 PM
I see potential in this technique, but I don't really like the way this image came out. The focus is a little soft for my taste, except for the line along her chin that's been mentioned before - it doesn't fit in with the rest. Also, her eyes don't draw my attention. And the texture is too heavy for such a soft image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 PM
I have to echo the negative points others raised: blurry but noisy, distracting outline, overdone texture, hightlight banding, & poor balance to the facial features. As a whole, I don't care much for it.

That said, these criticisms apply to this effect used on this image. It's quite possible it would be great on a different subject. It may even work ok with this image if more 'prep' work had been done (reduce contrast? byRo fix for blown highlights? other?). My experience (very limited compared to Danny's) suggests 'successful' photo art results from the 'right' manipulations applied to the 'right' image. Several times, I've come up with an effect I like but find it fails when applied to other images. Those that work well on many images are rare gems.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art