RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Tablet and Stylus - I took the leap

Old 04-01-2005, 05:37 AM

I too am still having trouble with the clutter now on my desk after adding a Wacom tablet to my system. Along with the keyboard and two monitors, I can't quite figure out where I want the tablet to go. I have tried different arrangements and still get frustrated after a while. In time, I realize that there is yet another disadvantage of having it in it's current place and try a new alignment. I think the only way to resolve my situation is to by a larger desk. But, to do that, I need a larger office!

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 02:20 PM

Danny,
Congrats on taking "the plunge". I'm getting a case of tablet envy now. I just got the Cher Pendarvis "Photoshop and Painter Tablet Book" you recommended recently. She also uses the 6X8 Intuos3 tablet and has a large care and feeding section for it in the book. I got the Graphire 4x5 tablet last year, hence, my tablet envy.

I'm saving my pennies so I can get Painter. Painter combined with CS seems a mighty fine combo.

For anyone with a Wacom tablet interested in Painter, if you go to their website, Wacom Privileges, you can get Painter IX for, I think, $100 off, or upgrade to IX for $179. I don't know if this is US only or not.

Enjoy your new toy.
Ron
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 03:29 PM

WOW $329 for painter ix i really didn't have a clue on the cost of that program, wow i am in shock!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 04:03 PM

Thanks to everyone for the comments and encouragement.

Just got e-mail today from www.ShopHarmony.com. "It's been shipped." The pressure's on, now. I won't be able to let it sit in the box when it arrives, will I?

That's a valuable tip on the Wacom discounts/packages. Thanks for sharing that, Ron, as well as reminding me about the applicable content in the Cher Pendarvis "Photoshop and Painter Tablet Book."

Rainiday passed along another interesting suggestion that she got from someone. In summary it was: "Hide (or disconnect) your mouse for a month and FORCE yourself to get used to the tablet and stylus." I might have to take this approach since I'm SO dependent on my "bar of soap"! They call this going "cold turkey" in the U.S., sort of like giving up alcohol, cigarettes or other addictions.

- - - - - - - - - -

WHERE DID YOU ORDER YOUR TABLET AND HOW DID YOU DECIDE?

Ordered from www.ShopHarmony.com (Harmony Computers)

Found them using a www.PriceGrabber.com search.

WHY?
I had heard of them before, so there was some level of familiarity/comfort in that. Low price, free shipping, 4**** (out of 5) customer satisfaction rating (not perfect, but OK with me). I checked the comments other customers had given.

Note: I did some surfing at eBay for this tablet. Lower initial prices, but when you added in shipping, it was within a few dollars of buying from retailers. On this one I wanted to deal with a "known company."

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 04-01-2005 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy~Art
WOW $329 for painter ix i really didn't have a clue on the cost of that program, wow i am in shock!
Elle:

If you can find a Painter 8 upgrade, it will a) cost a whole lot less than a standard edition and b) will install without a previous version of Painter as long as you have Photoshop installed. (It was a special packaging to encourage people to purchase P8.)

eBay is a good source for Painter 8. P8 (regular editions) have been selling of late $80-$150 U.S. P8 is very, very feature rich. If you can find a P8 upgrade, you'd get it for much less.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 06:55 AM

Desk Clutter

Danny

Congats on the purchase. In case you are bothered about giving up the mouse do as I do use the pen for graphics work and the mouse for the internet.

Fizzgiz & TylerRB

I got over the clutter problem by building a shelf on 4 legs so I could push the keyboard back and put the tablet in front. Just lean in to type! If interested I could post a pic.

Picture added as you requested Danny.

I did not actually do this arrangement for the tablet, but to raise the monitor to a better working height and to enable me to push the keyboard out of the way to make desk space as needed. Now it looks as if I will need to make a hanging slot underneath the shelf to take the tablet, to get back to where I was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My-PC.jpg (60.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Reg; 04-03-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 09:33 AM

Thank you Danny your a credit to this forum!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg
Danny

Congats on the purchase. In case you are bothered about giving up the mouse do as I do use the pen for graphics work and the mouse for the internet.

Fizzgiz & TylerRB

I got over the clutter problem by building a shelf on 4 legs so I could push the keyboard back and put the tablet in front. Just lean in to type! If interested I could post a pic.

Reg
Good compromise, suggestion on the mouse.

re: Desk clutter
Sure, if you've got a pic of the shelf you built, do post it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be challenged to find room for a new pad!

Note: You can click EDIT on your post above and (via the Manage Attachments dialog), upload it there.

Thanks for the offer.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 07:21 AM

Well i just found out i won a bid on ebay so for £9 including postage i got one of these, its not what i want but right now Wacom is too expensive...

Here is a review about it.

Its brand new in the box and has a cordless pen and mouse with tablet

Quote:
Aiptek HyperPen 6000 Review
March 13, 2002
Sooner or later, most computer users start feeling constrained by the mouse, longing for the freedom of a pen or pencil on paper. Although even the high-end versions can never quite match the abandon of a drawing pencil or paintbrush, graphics tablets offer the ability to draw, paint, or scribble to your heart's content.

Price is usually a barrier for casual users, but the Aiptek HyperPen 6000 is a very inexpensive entry into the graphics tablet arena. The tablet is compact and fits easily into even the most cramped desk space. It uses a USB port, so you can connect or disconnect the tablet without shutting down your computer. It also includes a graphics program, so you can use the tablet immediately without any additional investment.

The cordless pen is light and comfortable, with two buttons, 512 levels of pressure, and 12 programmable macros. You can use the pen to perform almost any task you can perform with a mouse, including pointing, clicking, and double-clicking, but the package also includes a three-button cordless mouse. A pen takes a lot of getting used to, and you might feel more comfortable using the mouse for traditional mousing tasks.

The pen's wide range of sensitivity levels lets you draw anything from a fine line to a broad swash, simply by varying how hard you press the pen on the tablet.

Bundled software includes Art Dabbler, CADIX, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and NetMeeting. Art Dabbler is a drawing, painting, and animation program, featuring an intuitive sketchpad interface. You can draw and paint freehand, or use the Digital Tracing Paper tool to trace a scanned photograph as a basis for your artwork. Drawing and painting tools offer a satisfactory experience similar to their real-life counterparts, with crayons, pencils, markers, and brushes affected by the paper texture you choose.

The included FreeNotes software lets you add signatures to business documents, scribble notes on desktop layouts, or annotate documents, helpful for joint projects or just writing reminders to yourself.

CADIX creates and verifies signatures electronically, a handy option for business users.

Pro: Good quality drawing tools at an affordable price. The CADIX signature verification software is a bonus for business users. Con: Like most budget-priced graphics tablets, the usable area (4.5x6 inches) is cramped, although it does offer a little more room than the Wacom Graphire (4x5 inches).
Anyone else got one of these or had one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2005, 03:19 PM

My first tablet was a Hyperpen 3000 series (4X5). I wanted to try out a tablet without putting a lot of money into it. It was a big improvement over just a mouse. I upgraded to the Intuos 3 at Christmas (and passed the old tablet to my daughter, who loves it). The biggest difference is the sensitivity of the tablet, the Wacom has more levels. And the Wacom has pen tilt. But, I really think, given the price, the Hyperpen is a great choice. I used it for a couple of years, didn't upgrade until I really wanted the bigger size.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art