RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Dog art: Wonder how to do this style?

Old 04-01-2005, 07:09 PM

Ok, you did it!

I love, love, love it! Can you share your steps? You hit it right on and I'm so excited I can hardly breath!
Ok, back to reality, still on my 30 day trial of Painter IX but this might be the push. Can you tell me where to view the full size? Yeah!
Deb
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Blue Dog Man

Forgot to mention your pic reminds me of George Rodrigue's Blue Dog Man, do you know of him? Just about my favorite dog in the world, except my own two.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Hey guys maybe this will help or inspire you. I have done a bunch of these paintings and it all started in photoshop. I took these pictures of our friends and then opened them in photoshop and converted them to about 4 colors. I wanted the colors to express their personalities. I then printed out the image on transparency paper and use an over head projector to project it onto a canvas. I then used a pencil to draw the image on the canvas. I then proceeded to paint the image the way I had already converted it in photoshop. I could have done it by hand but it is so easy to change colors in photoshop and get just the right combinations you like. When you start painting and don't like a color you have to wait for it to dry then paint over it. Photoshop makes it much easier. Hope that helps or inspires.... sorry for the flash reflection... The canvas was about 24X30 something
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alan.jpg (43.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg michael.jpg (52.4 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by righthanddesign
Hey guys maybe this will help or inspire you. I have done a bunch of these paintings and it all started in photoshop. I took these pictures of our friends and then opened them in photoshop and converted them to about 4 colors. I wanted the colors to express their personalities. I then printed out the image on transparency paper and use an over head projector to project it onto a canvas. I then used a pencil to draw the image on the canvas. I then proceeded to paint the image the way I had already converted it in photoshop. I could have done it by hand but it is so easy to change colors in photoshop and get just the right combinations you like. When you start painting and don't like a color you have to wait for it to dry then paint over it. Photoshop makes it much easier. Hope that helps or inspires.... sorry for the flash reflection... The canvas was about 24X30 something
Facinating technique... Thanks for sharing your method and the examples. This is how all of us learn.

Much appreciated. You CAN have your Photoshop AND painting, too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Zip(Deb)

I don't know the dog type you mention, I took a picture of Axl (dogs name) and the background is my blue carpet, took it into painter9 and overlaid it with original in PS7 as Danny said above...

The only thing different the picture had a couple of extra bits i had to remove from the painting cos its not the done thing to add them on a nice picture lol!

If you get my drift...

Elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 10:43 AM

***righthanddesign***

How cool!

So tell me how much would you charge cos its alot of work to go about isnt it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Recently I saw something like this where a Photoshop/Painter rendered piece that had been printed on cavas by a wide-body Epson 9600 printer, and then stretched over a wooden frame. After stretching the artist then manually applied color matched acrylic paints to a few places on the canvas. The addition of the acrylics bumped up the selling price an additional $500. Why? Because messing up the application of the acrylics = print again, new stretcher frame, etc. But, still technically "acrylics on canvas."

I have seen something similar at a Thomas Kincaid gallery. I asked the sales person why one copy of a work was so much more exensive than the other. I was told on the expensive copy Kincaid would "dab" paint onto the pre-printed flowers and a few other places. The differences in price were amazing.

--
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art