RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Dog art: Wonder how to do this style?

Old 04-01-2005, 08:30 AM

Wonder how to do this

I posted this at DPreview and got some wonderful advice, but thought since I've been "lurking" and just starting to "speak", you guys might help. I like this look and would like some advice. I've done the Warhol Effect and it come close, but....
Thanks Deb

http://www.houndfacemcgee.com/ORIGINALSLIST.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 01:26 PM

Oh my talk about expensive, that is alittle too expensive i would have thought, yes i'd like to learn if it makes that much money!

Nice to see you have de-lurked!

Did you have a nice easter?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 01:45 PM

thanks, really neat looking art......
and it is that expensive because they are actual paintings

be really cool to be able to do a similar effect in PS, the colours look great
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 02:31 PM

Red face Real Paintings

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I knew these were real painting...oops. Just think there must be a way to get close in PS.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 03:05 PM

Challenge: dog painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliana Ross
...because they are actual paintings
I guess one could argue that you need to use "actual paint" to create a painting, but wouldn't "digital paint" qualify, too? I dunno.

Zip: Did you contact the artist for confirmation?

Here's why I think they are digital manipulations.

1. As a whole these look consistently photo-realistic. Isolate the dog from the background, paint the background in a contrasting, bright color, apply some simplifying effects on the dog and apply paint (layer blend mode = Color) or engage Corel Painter.

2. Descriptions on her website are suggestive, but not conclusive:
* "bright & bold artwork" - Simplified images (dog, floor, background) and a lot of saturation would (and do) achieve this.
* "Giclee Prints" - This is a finish that can be applied to any kind of print, not just paintings generated by traditional methods.
* "I paint using contemporary colors which means opposite colors on the color wheel" - I can paint (sort of) using contemporary colors using Corel Painter. With Painter's color wheel right in the middle of the colors palette, it's easy to identify a color's opposite (compliment).
* "BFA (Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts) in painting" - It sure doesn't hurt to have traditional skills to use Painter.
* "Commission time is 3 to 4 months" - Would you pay THAT MUCH if turnaround was, say, a week?

3. The complete absense of any verbiage on her site mentioning or describing traditional materials or media, to me, is very curious. Most traditional artists go out of their way to distinguish their methods from the digital cheaters.

4. Do the (IMO) very high prices mean she's using traditional means? Not necessarily. It just means she's found people (and who knows how many), who are willing to pay them.

It's all about perception.

But I could be totally wrong -- just ask my wife!

- - - - - - -

In the mean time, try this Creative Challenge.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 04:42 PM

Except if you click on the "original" images it does have 'Acrylic on Canvas' under each invididual piece. Personally I think they're rather hideous, whether they are 'traditional' or not! (Then again I'm not a dog person) But I agree they look photoshopped. Maybe they are paintings of photoshopped originals?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 04:49 PM

one of the paintings has a flash reflection on the top where you can pick out the texture on the canvas...I think it had a red background
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin
Except if you click on the "original" images it does have 'Acrylic on Canvas' under each invididual piece. Personally I think they're rather hideous, whether they are 'traditional' or not! (Then again I'm not a dog person) But I agree they look photoshopped. Maybe they are paintings of photoshopped originals?
Very good observation. A+ on the sharp eyes. That could account for the flash reflection.

For those familiar with Mike Finn, he recently took up (physically) painting over Photoshopped prints, so you might have a point.

Recently I saw something like this where a Photoshop/Painter rendered piece that had been printed on cavas by a wide-body Epson 9600 printer, and then stretched over a wooden frame. After stretching the artist then manually applied color matched acrylic paints to a few places on the canvas. The addition of the acrylics bumped up the selling price an additional $500. Why? Because messing up the application of the acrylics = print again, new stretcher frame, etc. But, still technically "acrylics on canvas."

I remain skeptical, but good humored.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 06:28 PM

That would be easy...Sorry but if someone printed a picture and stretched a canvas showing all the colours needed, then most people would quite easily be able to paint over it, wow and that would make us millionaires!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2005, 06:30 PM

Well here is a painting i did of my pooch and its not hand painted, oh no just simple photoshop and painter9 that did this...

I am only uploading the thumbsize as its a huge picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Xl.jpg (6.5 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art