RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Still not sure what the best paper is to print onto

Old 05-26-2005, 03:54 PM

Still not sure what the best paper is to print onto

I must admit feeling quite disapointed tonight, Had back today my first actually printed work back from the printers. It looks really plastic and not what I was after at all, (I used a UK printer company for this, but won't name them and slag them off) the worst thing is is the paintings is for my brother who's forked out £70 for a 16" x 24" on stretcher canvas print.

Really feel guilty now in giving it to him and quite dissalusioned as had rather hoped to maybe make selling digital art a business. Just not sure people will pay for canvas prints with this plastic look.

What do professional artists here print onto and if anyone knew of a company to recommend in the UK that they are pleased with the results.

It was a oil painting so was after a nice painterly look, more like it was actually a print. Is that possible?
Wht papers work best for what as I paint Oils watercolours and fractual abstract art.

Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 04:09 PM

Red face

Hi also from UK here.

I have a friend called Sandra, who i actually met by emailing her one day after i came across her website. She as been an inspirational mentor for me!

http://www.sarnie.co.uk/

Sandra gave me this url

http://www.photoartistry.co.uk/

For printing on canvas, i hope this is not the one that you used.

If you get no answers here let me know and i will email Sandra.

Elle
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 10:11 PM

Hi Phil, Saw your similar post over at POF and answered there. Hopefully LA's connection is worthwhile pursuing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 04:41 AM

Hi Legacy and Neve and thanks for your replies

I will try the link Sandra gave you Legacy, do you use them to print your work or do you do that yourself, if so what papers and inks do you use and are the results good?

Neve seen your reply on POTF hope you have better look with your first prints from the company you used.

Thats the trouble with all this theres too much lol info out there and too many options it gets me all confused what to do for the best, wish someone had a list of say a oil painting done in painter use whatever paper and inks and watercolour use whatever and you could just refer to the guide when you were printing a certain type

I too would like some more professional views on what they use, but still waiting for someone to post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Janitor

Arches Cold Press Watercolor Paper is the one I see mentioned most frequently for fine art inkjet use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 06:31 PM

All the signs are from the Print Co I'm using is that even on cheap "decorator canvas", the results will be excellent. I expect my first 2 canvases on Monday. They're being posted to me rolled. I had to find someone local to stretch and mount and then I'll coat them with (suggested by printer) with impasto gel. Interestingly, he (printer) told me today that they are experimenting over there in Brisbane, QLD with new coatings for canvas printouts which will give us a choice between matte and glossy finishes. Amazing stuff going on and I hope they have success.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2005, 07:38 AM

Its kind of trial and error with paper for me too hun, i really have no idea about art papers

But i get some photo paper from home bargains, the cheap shop its £1 for 10 sheets of A4 size. Its the good paper too for only a quid.

I send for my magnet paper and my canvas look paper, i just use the canvas paper to make bookmarks, (I sent Danny a bookmark he can tell you what that is like) I think its very good canvas look paper, its thicker, more pliable to work with.

I get mine from leylines if you want to email the guy i have his email address...

ibingle@aol.com

Email him and ask about papers etc for printers, he is excellent on this stuff, he can send you a little brochure etc.

His name is Ian, tell him i recommended him, he knows Elle.

Hope this helps alittle.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art