RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Almost a Painting

Old 06-08-2005, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
p-shop has an impasto effect/brush/filter, yes, no?
No, this is from (Corel) Painter.
I saved two versions, one with the impasto effect turned on, the other turned off. Back in PS, I set them up as two layers and masked out some of the impasto effect on the faces - not enough it seems!

Old 06-09-2005, 09:01 AM

Re. Yellowing the whites

Makes sense to me.

Guess I was trying more for an example than a good finished product.

I'll fool around with it some more...see what I come up with.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Steve, that's real good.

Been thinking though.. if you're going for an aged look maybe you should yellow the whites a bit.
Doesn't seem right somehow, bright white cracked paint?

Old 06-09-2005, 09:21 AM

Re. PSP

[QUOTE=Kraellin]steve,

ok, that last one is getting much closer to what i was thinking of... lots of depth on the paint itself, but spread it around more, crack it a bit, and give it some 'edge' on the high parts of the thick paint. you're very close

also, since you said you're using psp 9, how do you like it? how does it compare to earlier versions, at least back to psp 7, which is what i use, and if you know, how does it compare to photoshop or photoshop cs? i'm particularly interested because i'm debating whether to go the expensive photoshop route or stay with psp but just upgrade, and i'd love any comparisons.

Craig

Really like PSP 9. Also have version 8 installed. Since ver. 8 you have scripting ability, both write and run. In version 9 there is a fav among psp users called "art media effects." It allows brush and palette types to paint from scratch.

Those are just two of the additions since 7. There are many more. I would find a review site on the net that lists all the "bells & whistles" for more info.

I can only compare it to Photoshop Elements 2, but PSP wins. If you are a commercial artist or do this kind of work, then I am sure you would probably need Photoshop or other high-end product. For home use PSP is great funtionally and price-wise.

And I'll keep playing with the ladies pic. Like everyone says, that's a great pic as is.

Steve
Old 06-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Patron

Kraellin, Dream Suite is a both a stand-alone program and a plug-in. I like it better as a stand-alone. You can look into it on http://www.autofx.com/

Cathy
Old 06-09-2005, 10:21 AM

The Ladies Once More

The Impasto needs to show a bit more.

Comments?

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladies CrK2.jpg (81.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 06-09-2005, 11:43 AM

Less Color

Thought less color saturation might add aging. Also seems to bring out impasto a bit more.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LadiesCrk5.jpg (91.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-09-2005, 12:12 PM

I used the AHB chalks and watercolor, Impressionist filter paint with fine brush strokes with that layer set to overlay at a low opacity, played with the saturation then applied a canvas texture.

High res version: here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg impression.jpg (99.4 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Elleth; 06-09-2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:58 PM

thanks Ro

thanks Cathy

steve,

you're so close now i can smell the paint. narrower crack lines and have a bit more of them and you've got what i was thinking of. i like the first of those last two more, btw. a bit too much 'aging' on the 2nd one with the de-saturation? still, you're right close to the money with both of them.

yes, i'll check into the diffs on psp 7, 8, and 9 online. i'm sure the user groups and sites will have something. and thanks

elleth,

lovely! that really looks like it's on canvas. could you reduce those tiny balls a bit? keep the canvas look, just reduce the depth of the those dots a bit and maybe the number of them a tiny bit and you've got a museum piece.

also, if i annoy anyone with my 'advices/critiques/suggestions' just let me know and i'll shut up. you all do amazing work and i really dont want to be the annoying 'art critic' here.

Craig
Old 06-09-2005, 04:34 PM

Ended up using textures and patterns for the cracks. Will have to see if I can come up with one with more and narrower. 8-)

And thanks for your comments.

Re. PSP9....you can download a demo and try it out for yourself. I am still finding new things to play with and I got my copy a day or so after it's release.

Steve

steve,

you're so close now i can smell the paint. narrower crack lines and have a bit more of them and you've got what i was thinking of. i like the first of those last two more, btw. a bit too much 'aging' on the 2nd one with the de-saturation? still, you're right close to the money with both of them.

yes, i'll check into the diffs on psp 7, 8, and 9 online. i'm sure the user groups and sites will have something. and thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 05:25 PM

Thanks Craig, this result was a happy accident!
I appreciate your input.
After taking a break and looking at the image again I agree with you about the "bumps".
This may be an improvement.

High res here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg impression2.jpg (97.5 KB, 44 views)

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art