RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Watercolor tutorial

Old 07-04-2005, 08:22 PM

Watercolor tutorial

This is a cross post _sorry:
I use a low res image, but only because my computer refuses to do buzz pro (or many other filters) if I work on high res. The image you attached was a bit lower resolution than I would like to work with so I upsized it. First I brightened the eye that was in the shadow with the dodge tool. Then I ran buzz pro bright color wash. That made her eyes two different colors, turquoise and violet, so I used a color layer to change them both to turquoise. I merged those two layers and ran dust and scratches on a duplicate of the merged (buzz) layer. Now I went back to the brightened eye layer, duplicated it and ran dust and scratches on that. I used the history brush to restore the detail to her eyes. Now duplicate that layer and use run photocopy to get a line drawing.

I moved the layers around so that I had photocopy sketch on top (set to multiply), then the buzz layer before dust and scratches (set to soft light), then the buzz layer with dust and scratches (set to overlay), then the brightened eye layer. (and others that can't bee seen)

Here eyes were 2 different colors (again) so I cut and pasted the shadow eye onto the other eye (and edit transform, flip horizontal). Stamp visible (without the sketch layer), define pattern + new white filled layer, paint with patteren stamp. I used a textured watercolor brush. Since I have the sketch layer at the top of the stack, I can see where the colors go so I don't mix colors or muddy the image. Also, remember this is watercolors, so they run and they don't cover the entire canvas. Make sure to leave holes in the colors and not to go all the way to the edge. In real water colors, the canvas would be taped to a board while working and some color would flow beneath the tape, but most would not.

When I made the sketch, I lost the detail of her adorable freckles...not I go back to my original with brightened eye and do a photocopy sketch again, this time concentrating only of the freckles. I paint out everything else (with white and drag that layer to the top of the stack and set it to multiply.

At this point you can either add texture (if it is for the web) or simply print on water color paper, if it is for yourself. I added texture (both the art paper by trimoon, and the salt overlay by WOW) then flattened and saved.

http://casmaran.com/images/bejeweled.jpg

Now that I look at it, I think I should have removed the small part of her neck that shows in the pencil at the bottom a bit to the left....Oh well.

Now You do one.

Cricket
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 07:07 AM

Cricket, I REALLY love your results here! I'm going to print out your steps and see if I can get anywhere close to what you did.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 08:24 AM

HI Cricket...Wow

Saw this a few days ago, and wasn't log in to tell you how much I love your results here..

Do you have a copy of any version of Painter?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the compliments.

I do have an older version of painter and I keep thinking that I must upgrade, but it isn't a top priority. I use PSCS every day so before I buy Painter 9, I should get PSCS2.

Cricket
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2005, 06:42 PM

Very well done Cricket.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art