RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Bolton Priory

Old 07-20-2005, 03:00 AM

Hi Craig,

nice one mate. Actually, there is a river in front of the Abbey (just off shot) so the lake wasn't too far off the mark. Just gotta wait for the finances to improve so we can have a new roof on the south trancept as well.

Palms 1, Bradford is right nextdoor to Leeds where I live. Don't know of a district called Bolton, and I'm a truck driver so I do a lot of deliveries round Bradford, but could just be somewhere I haven't been yet.

Just had a look at my A-Z, there's an area called Bolton Outlanes (could this be it).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 06:54 AM

Pass on that one Gary all i know is that the area is very close to the city Centre of bradford, will have to ask bro more when i speak to him next

palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 07:41 AM

thanks gary

a river, cool. well, the lake just sort of looked right to me. besides, i hadnt tried the flood plugin yet. i did an image search on google using the keyword 'priory'. i wanted to see pictures of others to get an idea of how to maybe restore the roof. it's an interesting architecture, but i really couldnt get enough info from the other pics or yours to really get any idea of how that 'south trancept' might be. the front roof i simply borrowed/cloned from another and rotated it a bit to get the angles right. the repair of the stonework was all borrowed/cloned from existing areas within the picture. the stained glass was all done by hand painting except for the large one at the front. that one i simply borrowed from another priory's windows.

i also found another picture of that same priory, but it was pretty much the same shot you took only theirs was pretty badly blurred and not much use. it would be interesting to have shots from all around and aerial so that a full reconstruction could be done of the roof(s). whereas i was doing this reconstruction for the fun of it, i found myself a bit intrigued by how this place really used to look. i've seen enough shows about archaeology and so on to know that others actually do this sort of thing, make computer models of old ruins and such and reconstruct in modeling old buildings and living sites.

so, if you're ever up there again, particularly in a plane, take some more shots

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Yeah, well if I get my helicopter out this weekend, I'll be sure to take a few snaps for you

You're right about my pic though, it was taken from where most of the "Postcard Shots" of the Abbey are taken.

I've got a couple more from other positions, but none that give much more info.

I wasn't really visiting the Abbey as such, it just happens to be the starting point for a hike I was taking with the wife and dogs.

For a guy who spends quite a bit of time playing about with other peoples photos, I take remarkably few myself.

Like the idea of an Abbey re-build though. Unfortunately don't have too much time at the moment to do this, so will have to let it sit for a while, but the idea certainly appeals.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2005, 01:53 PM

well, damn, if yer not going to take aerials for me, i'll just have to call up the c.i.a. and get some satellite time

still, if you get more info, might be fun to finish this.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2005, 02:10 AM

The U.S have got a satellite monitoring station at Menwith Hill, no more than 10-15 miles from Bolton Abbey, (it's easy to find by the crowds of protesters outside), so should be no problem for the C.I.A to get hold of a few shots.

Done a few deliveries there, and fixed a few Fax machines there as well (in an earlier job), the steaks are great (I usually manage to scrounge lunch for free whilst I'm there).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2005, 07:06 AM

Craig as i would hate to think of you having nothing to do, i have been more daring than the c.i.a. and done a quick search in google maybe this would be of some use to you ?
although not a photo

http://www.boltonabbey.com/priory-past-frameset.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2005, 08:14 AM

Quote:
The U.S have got a satellite monitoring station at Menwith Hill, no more than 10-15 miles from Bolton Abbey, (it's easy to find by the crowds of protesters outside), so should be no problem for the C.I.A to get hold of a few shots.
lol. it's ok, gary, palms came up with something

palms,

wonderful! and just a bit confusing. it would seem that that big open arch in the middle of gary's image is the entry into the part that would be directly under that central tower. and there's a central tower! ok, hadnt even considered that one. if i've got the orientation correct, you'd rotate your images about 90 degrees clockwise to get the same as gary's image. and that part on the left of gary's that sticks out and has two arched windows is actually the back wall of that section, not the front! fascinating. and not how i had imagined things. hmmm, gonna take some work here....

thanks, palms

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2005, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the link Palms, I've been there loads of times, and I never knew there'd been a central tower. OK, it probably fell down a few years before I was born, but still.

My only excuse is I've never really gone there to look at the ruins (there's loads of ruined Priories and Abbeys in Yorkshire), but to swim in the river and walk in the hills.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2005, 02:04 PM

oh well, i wanted to redo the large stained glass in the front anyways. the alignment is wrong. and that brings me to a question. psp doesnt really have good tools for altering perspective and rotating on a vertical or horizontal axis. i rotate an entire image around the whole, but not well on the vert or horiz. i had image align, a plugin, but it was a timed demo and it's expired. i may get the full version at some point, but in the meantime, i was wondering if anyone knew of a plugin or app that could do multiple axis rotates, skews, liquifies, warps and other geometric actions like this. i know PS can do a lot of these, but i'm not quite up to getting PS yet and my trial on that ran out long ago also. any help here?

Craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art