RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Help with cropper tool in photoshop

Old 09-12-2005, 08:02 AM

Help with cropper tool in photoshop

I think I'm going slightly insane here , I have a picture 24 inch by 24 inch and open it up in photoshop, I want to crop it to A4 size so 8.267inch by 11.693inch so I put in the measurements in the boxes to get a crop shape A4 size but weirdly the shape comes out nearly covering the 24 inch by 24 inch should in pheory make 3 A4 widths across it but as I say it just covers 3 quaters the width some how, also tried it in painter and it does the same. I don't know for the life of me how theis works out. I've checked to make sure the painting is 300 dpi on the image and the crop so it can't be out to do with that.

Can anyone help here, just too weird for me.

Philip
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 08:32 AM

Let me just explain further what I actually want to do, maybe it can't be done, from a 24 inch by 24 inch picture I want to print it off on my A4 printer so need to seperate a split up the 24 inch by 24 inch into segments of 8.267inch 11.693 (A4)

Every time I on the image even if I start to open up the cropper tool and just realease it anywhere and then crop, everytime no matter where I stop the cropper tool (which is supposed to be set to the measurements of A4 ) does it when I click on image size show up and A4 size, when what I wanted was a portion of the 24inch by 24 inch

Can this be done, hope I've explained ok
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 AM

Understand that the two numbers that you must input to the height width box are measured in pixels, not inches. Depending on your resoultion you will calculate the size requirement differently.

Example:

24'x24' at 300 dpi= 300x24
300x24=7200

this means your image in pixels = 7200x7200

8.267x300=2480.1
3507.9x300=3507.9

These are the two numbers you must input to you height and width for the crop tool if you are printing at 300 dpi

If your dpi is different just replace 300 with the dpi you are using.

Good Luck
Bill
my digital art gallery
http://www.billcallis.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 10:35 AM

Hi

Thanks for your help, there must be something wrong with my photoshop then here as just tried what you said working on my artwork will by 59.4cm width x 63cm length and want it split into 6 A4 segments so will be 2 A4 lengths 29.7 x 2 = 59.5 and 3 A4 widths 21 x 3 = 63

so the pixels dimensions for the artwork is 9921 x 7016 and I want to crop a A4 segment so the pixels dimensions would be 2480 x 3508 put these figures and px and seems to accept that ok and then 300 pixel/inch the same as the image and when I go to crop the a4 size it again instead of fitting 2 perfectly and 4 across seems to crop a shape that is much bigger at least 3 quarters the length and nearly half the width of the original image, how can this be, is there some sort of setting I have to alter or something, I'm using phtoshop 7. Its all so strange cause I'm sute the crop tool has worked in the past when I needed it to crop a certain shape.

What I want it all for is I want to be able to split the image up and then for each segment add a drop shadow, and bevel I know how to do all this and then put all 9 segment which is what the final artwork will be onto another black canvas and arrange to how they would look on a wall slightly gap between each segment, basically for web show on my website what the final product would look like.

Hope I've made it a little more clear with what I want to achieve.

I'll also be doing 59.5 x 84 split into 8 A4
and 84 x 59.5 the same just landscape instead of portrait

Cheers Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenfx
Understand that the two numbers that you must input to the height width box are measured in pixels, not inches.
Not exactly, Bill. It depends on which units you chose in you preferences (Edit>Preferences>Units & Rulers). Most people will choose pixels, but not everybody.

Phil, seems that maybe you're using the wrong tool here. When you put some pixel values into the Crop tool it will automatically perform a resize to ensure that the resulting image will have the pixel dimensions required, independent of how much of the original image you selected.

There's probably a better way to do this with "Slices" maybe (I've never used them) but when I need to crop to a fixed size of the original image (and NOT the resultant image) I use the Rectangular Marquee with the option Fixed Size. After setting up the selection, I then invert the selection, delete and then Trim.

Like I said, there's probably a much better way.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 11:27 AM

Hi

I've moved on a bit further but this is pretty much even more bizarre, thanks Ro for clearing up the crop tool, at least that explains what was happening, here using the marquee tool right the image now I'm trying to work on let me explain a little more, forget about the 24inch by 24 inch, lets make it more simpler and use cm also

my artwork will by 59.4cm width x 63cm length and want it split into 6 A4 segments so will be 2 A4 lengths 29.7 x 2 = 59.5 and 3 A4 widths 21 x 3 = 63

I want to be able to split the image up and then for each segment add a drop shadow, and bevel I know how to do all this and then put all 9 segment which is what the final artwork will be onto another black canvas and arrange to how they would look on a wall slightly gap between each segment, basically for web show on my website what the final product would look like.

Hope I've made it a little more clear with what I want to achieve.

I have gone to check the so the pixels dimensions for the artwork is 9921 x 7016 and I want to crop a A4 segment so the pixels dimensions would be 2480 x 3508 put these figures into the marquee and all seems good come up with the right sized shape or at least I think it does, I marquee it and press control, alt, shift and j to crop into a new layer cause would like them all in the same photoshop file. I then and is there a way of after I marqueed one of snaping it into the correct position, it seems to fit in but when I did all 4 along the top they don't quite fir as there a tiny bit at the end thats left, I've got the sizes right havn't I. seems strange why they don't fit exactly.

I even tried it in cms and still doesn't fit in 4 21cm in the image which is 84cm , there the little bit spare , now I'm not great at maths but 4 x 21 is definatly 84 so how and why does photoshop not work it out exactly to fit it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 11:32 AM

Ok, I have come across this before, my printer (hp) originally would do a form of banner printing, however, if you wished to resize to span pages, I actually ended up using Microsoft Excel, as it would span across sheets, and you can actually specify the number of sheets both across and down
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2005, 11:41 AM

Hi Ro,
Your quite right. I thought of that before answering and tested out the possibility by changing my preferences. Unfortuntatly I didn't go far enough as I should have by actually typing in the numbers and seeing the "in" appear.

Sorry for steering you wrong Junipare. Check your preferences under "units and rulers" and see what it is set at (pixels, inches, etc.) the answer to this problem will depend on your settings.

I think this might be better accomplished by using "image/canvas size" under the menu bar. If you type in a number smaller than the canvas you will get a warning telling you part of the image will be cut off. In this way you by using the arrows to control how the image gets cropped you can crop the image, save it under a new filename, undo, and then do the process again using the arrows to crop the other side.

If you do this be careful if your image is an odd number of pixels wide/tall an odd number is not divisible by an even number so one peice will have to be bigger than the other by one pixel in that case.

Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2005, 10:47 PM

Cropping

How about using guides to divide the image into the 6 sections, Snap to guides should be on, then crop each section, save as new, undo, crop next section, save, undo, etc.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art