RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

How to create a gallery wrap wrapped 3D box look

Old 10-16-2005, 09:35 AM

i knew i had run across this on a site somewhere. the trouble was finding it again in my bookmarks http://www.ecoverstudio.com/ i'm also fairly sure i ran across another similar one some time back, but so far, this is the only one i've re-found.

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Box Canvas

I was interested in learning about the new vanishing point filter in CS2, so I thought I would give this a try. It worked up to a point, and then I had to wing in and adjust it with transform tools. Vanishing point looks like a great tool though.

I looked on junipaire's site, and the boxes are not PS illusion. They really take photos and stretch them onto box canvas.

Cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg montana-box.jpg (99.2 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 12:14 AM

cathy,

umm, wouldnt there be another side showing slightly on the left of yours?

Craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 05:18 AM
Patron

3d Transform Filter

Well I didn't post my results but I resurrected the 3d transform filter which is on the Photoshop Disc but not normally installed. Its been around for a long time. At any rate I used that to form a 3d book like box as a template. On the template I used the Vanishing point filter in photoshop CS2 and that worked well. What worked better for me was to use Illustrator's 3d effect. But before perfection could be established and posted, I had to watch some football.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 06:28 AM

wow so many replys, thanks for the response to this question, on second look maybe the examples on the site are in fact real life canvases, but knew there would be a way to do something like this in photoshop. Love what you've come up with with the canvases you created, it would be great if Danny could come up with a action to do a similar effect.

Over in the Marilyn Sholin's forum Chris came up with a way of putting the canvas in a 3d world on a wall, looks amazing. Sadly lots to learn well of course these things don't magically happen, would love to get that effect, be good to create a 3d gallery and have 3d character admirinf the art.

Marcia also came up with a plugin, not had chance to try it out myself though. http://www.vizros.com/vp.html

Thanks again
Phil
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 08:45 AM

I knew I had seen a tutorial for this somewhere. I'm just sorry I didn't have time to find it until this morning.

For what it is worth...here goes.

1. Prepare the flat artwork (the front of whatever you use). Keep a consistent color scheme on the piece you save for the side, which is no problem if you've just chopped a painting into pieces.

2. Create a merged copy so that you have all the elements on one layer--that is the front and the side(s). Then simply distort the front using free transform/perspective.

3. Repeat the process for the side(s) layer(s) matching them to the perspective of the front piece. Remember to distort the side pieces in the opposite direction so that things will look 3-dimensional.

4. Darken the side of the piece to make it stand out from the front. Add some shading to the entire piece for depth and reality.

5. Rounding the corners a bit makes the piece look more real. Where the join is for the pieces, select a narrow band down the edge and brighten those pixels. That gives the illusion of bending.

6. Don't forget the shadow on the bottom.

The steps for this little tutorial are paraphrased from a tutorial written and published by Steve Caplin in his book "How to Cheat in Photoshop."

Kudos ahead of time to Danny for his work. It is marvelous!

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 09:58 AM

Need a couple testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
The steps for this little tutorial are paraphrased from a tutorial written and published by Steve Caplin in his book "How to Cheat in Photoshop."
"Now you tell me!" (LOL). [I've got that book... never occurred to me to actually LOOK in it! ] Thanks for sharing the steps, Janet.

Anyway I hacked an action to automate the steps.

Important: The action was written using PS7, so it might have "issues" under CS, CS2. Consider it "Beta" until I get it certified for CS, CS2. I'd appreciate feedback.

[If you do not know how to use actions, please start a new thread. Don't ask newbie questions about actions in this one.]

This action is not very flexible in terms of sizing and positioning, but it was fun to write. The final results are a little "off" perspective-wise. Nonetheless for anyone wondering how to write an action to do this type of thing, it can serve as a basis on which to build a better one.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Demo 1 - Bara.jpg (73.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Demo 2 - Map.jpg (93.9 KB, 64 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ART 3D rotate image v2 beta.zip (3.8 KB, 123 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 11:17 AM

While your perspective might be a tad off (I personally have a terrible time with perspective), my initial reaction was, "WOW! You did THAT with an action?"

Amazing results Danny. My hat's off to you on this one.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 12:09 PM

Hi Craig. I used the box canvas that was posted and used it for a template. I just rotated it. I did more research, and found that the 3D filter will also make a box. I could have used that for a template and it would have been easier.

Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 01:24 PM

Well Done Danny, I love actions and i will be having some fun with this one, I had no problem using it, ( what i mean is i didn't have to do any thing to technical ) i rotated it a bit just to see if i could ! !
Hats of to you, brilliant work and great it is in ps7 (sorry cs users )
Thanks

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ART-3D-rotate-image.jpg (74.3 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art