RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative challenge 007: Knocking out a background

Old 10-31-2005, 10:32 AM

Hi Cassidy,

I cheated a little with this one.

After creating mask, there was quite a lot of green bleed, so I created a new layer set to colour mode. I then Ctrl+clicked the girl layer so that her outline was selected in the colour layer.

Now, using a clone brush, I sampled from good colour areas and painted green hair and skin.

By using clone tool instead of paint brush, you don't have to resample as much, as sample point moves with you.

Use Ctrl+H to hide selection dots (which get in way) don't forget to undo this after you've finished.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 01:37 PM

Happy Halloween

As it is Halloween!

I added the lucky lady with the halloween stars!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d.jpg (85.2 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 02:12 PM

That's pretty sweet Elle! Even like the Halloween cleavage.

Cheers

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 02:12 PM

Very cool, Legacy~art.

Here is mine. I used the select color (green) and then deleted the green. I used the quick mask to clean up edges, adjustment>replace color selecting green, move slider until green is replaced with a matching hair color.

After I put her into a new background, I adjusted her color, and highlight to try and blend her into her new environment.

Cathy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blend-1.jpg (99.6 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 02:31 PM

Sarah's bored!

1.) Selected green, selection/modify/smooth, selection/modify/contract, deleted green
2.) Select color range, selected remaining greens and made them match hair.
3.) Played with lighting.
4.) Matched color to the "Jaws" layer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jaws.jpg (93.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by grafx; 10-31-2005 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Forgot my instructions
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 07:24 PM

I too made a mask from the channels and ended up with some green cast to her hair. Rather than replace color, or whatever, I opted to tweak the mask itself once I had her safely placed over the new background. I then worked in hue/sat, photo filters, etc. so that she would blend with the background. I did a merged vis and used the smudge brush to tweak her hair on the final copy. I also tried to determine the direction of diffused light in the new background and added subtle shading to her body to reflect that.

The hardest part was getting her skin tones to look as if they belonged in the photo. I'm still not happy with it; but decided to give up so that I could eat dinner.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backgrnd-challenge.jpg (81.8 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 PM

Looks like a mug shot to me, so maybe this is where she belongs.

First got cell picture off of google.

Drug image of girl to cell image.

Selective color on girl - increased greens. Background was only thing with green.

Channels girl - copied blue layer. Made mask. Adjusting the greens in previous step lightend background and made masking easier.

Added mask to image of girl. Refined mask.

Ugly green halos - desaturate green with brush set to Hue and color white. About 20-40%. Worked at high zoom and just painted greens. Desat helpful for next step although not always necessary. Desat makes color take better next step.

Brush set to color and color sampled from nearby areas. Deep color sampled. Painted over desaturated areas giving them color of nearby areas 40%+.

Played with color of girl. Ended up using curves, Hue/Sat, and selective color in a weird combo. Idea was to get her desaturated and more neutral to match the background. Also used a tone layer set to blend mode color and filled with color sampled from upper left wall of cell. Blending mode and opacity faded after fill.

Gaussian blur mask - a couple of times - she seemed to sharp against the background. Copied girl image and mask to new layer and gave a slight blur to the girl. Reduced opacity somewhat.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside-of-Cell-LL.jpg (97.6 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 09:49 PM

I like this one, it looks like its actually part of the scene. It also looks flat, without depth, which is kind of neat because it looks like a carboard cutout.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 10:02 PM

Everyone has done an excellent job of extracting her. I cheated, a lot, and made her into a painting. First, I used Digital Camera Noise Remover, replaced the green background color with deep blue in PS, took her to Painter and painted in some white and softened it, and used Captured Bristle to give her a virtual hair trimming and paint her hair & face, back to PS, where I gave it a watercolor layer and an Impressionist Distressed Japanese Paper layer and sandstone texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg woman-rtp.jpg (83.8 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-31-2005, 10:36 PM

I love all the results so far. I used the Russell Brown technique for removing the background because I couldn't get a good selection any other way. I can't remember which site I got the background from, but I got the link from a thread over at dpreview over a year ago. After I saved it and closed my editor, I realized that I forgot to blur the background, oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (93.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art