Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Edge Effects

Old 11-29-2005, 02:24 PM
I thought, I would put my two cents into "How to get a good edge, frame effect".

There are many ways to give your masterpiece a painterly and worthy frame or edge which is not a straight line.

A Photoshop Methodology:

1. The final image is say on layer L10.
2. Make a duplicate of L10, which will now be in L11.
3. In L11, make a layer mask by clicking on the icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette called "Add Layer Mask".
4. When you do that you will have a Layer Mask added in L11 which is white in color.
5. Now create a new blank layer, by clicking on the "Create New Layer" icon in the bottom of Layers Palette. Rename this layer L12, and is now on the top and is 'transparent'.
6. Now fill this layer with yellow or any other color you want your Edge/Frame color to be. Dont worry, if you do not like this color you can change the color later. This is Layer 12 and is on the top of all layers.
7. Now you want to pull the L12 layer down below the L11 layer (the one with the layer mask), so that the sequence of layers from the top are L11, L12 and L10 the bottom layer.
8. Click "inside" the Layer Mask on L11 to make it active so that is where you are painting.
9. From the keyboard, click on the Letter "D", which activates the default colors as Black/White for Foregrond/Background.
10. Now paint with black, by picking a splatter brush or some other non smooth brush with about 45 pixel size, and paint around the outer periphery of the Layer mask, this will make the underlying "Yellow" color come thru. You want to paint in the layer mask, in a painterly non straight line way. One way of doing this, is to use lower opacity at first, and then increase opacity on the second and third passes. If you make an error, you can erase the error by painting with white over the error.
11. Once you are satisfied with the results, Go to Filters > Brush Strokes > Sprayed Strokes and here you can adjust the Stroke Length, Spray Radius and Stroke Direction as needed. You can choose the default first, and then undo it and change the parameters on the next pass. This will give the edges a spattery or shall I say splattery effect, which looks kinda cool.
12. Since the Layer Mask is still active, you can use any other filters you choose, to add more artistic effects that you desire, like Splatter strokes is also a good choice.

13. Finally, if you did not like the yellow color as your edge border, no problem, go to that layer and fill it with the color of your choice, green or blue, or gradient or whatever, and your edge with the splattery brush strokes will show up automatically with the new color.

In Painter, you get even better painterly effects on the edges, due to its vast selection of natural media brushes. You apply the same principles as in Photoshop, and use the brushes, mostly the bristles brushes of Acrylics, Impasto and Gouache for its effects. Please note, that in Painter, you cannot apply the Filter Effects in a layer mask (unlike Photoshop), therefore you have to apply those effects on L12 layer, but such is not needed, as you will be getting those brush effects directly by painting with the appropriate brush in the Layer Mask.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Alcar
Danny, I really like the painting of the house you used in this thread to illustrate edge art. I presume this was done in painter; I think it's very effective.
I'm flattered that Danny liked my photo enough to play with it. :-)

Alcar, Here's the original. Have fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yellow-House.jpg (81.8 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Thanks Swampy. I may give it a try myself.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art