RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Need fast printing suggestion please

Old 12-04-2005, 12:50 PM

Need fast printing suggestion please

I have found plenty of places who print regular photos on canvas but I'm having trouble finding someone who does a great job printing Photo Art on to stretched canvas. I really need your input as fast as possible, holiday approaching. Please help if you know of a great place for this. I know that there are other topics on printing, but I mean specifically for photo art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Janitor

A quick google shows there are several companies offering this service. They all print inkjet on canvas, then stretch. So why not just do that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2005, 01:03 PM

I was hoping that maybe someone that has already used one of those companies could tell me the success they've had. I have Googled searched and sure they all say they print on top quality, use this and that type of printers, etc. but I was thinking someone who does photo art a lot would know of a company that gave great results and preferably one who works quicly. That's all.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2005, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkissed
I was hoping that maybe someone that has already used one of those companies could tell me the success they've had. I have Googled searched and sure they all say they print on top quality, use this and that type of printers, etc. but I was thinking someone who does photo art a lot would know of a company that gave great results and preferably one who works quicly. That's all.
I've had good luck with DPI...

http://prodpi.com/fineart.html

If they have the file Monday, I have the framed/stretched result the following Monday. (One day to print; one day to frame/apply protective spray and let it dry overnight; 3-day USPS Priority Mail.) It might take a day or two longer during this time of year. If super urgent I'm sure you could get overnight delivery.

Jeff Lazlo (owner) is great to work with:
jlazo@digitalprecisionimaging.com

Good luck on your project.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2005, 02:27 PM

Thank you Danny. I have been to that site and think I got a little nervous reading all the pdf files. Plus when it had the "become a customer" link it seemed only for photographers so I wasn't sure if I was in the right place. Now I feel much better knowing you have used them for the photo art and I am glad to hear the turnaround was good. Like I said, so many of these printing companies claim to have something the others don't and they tell me all about their printers but unless you've had experience with high end printers, etc. it can seem overwhelming. The photo I want by the holidays is for my son's teacher. This man has inspired my son to want to read and he is actually excited to take the FCAT. Any teacher that can get a child excited about FCAT is something special. Then if I have good luck with this photo I might use them for the business. Right now I'm not offering any printing services, just the file and I'd like to get out of that. Think I may get more business once I can offer prints. Anyways, I really appreciate the response, just hope my other son's teacher doesn't get jealous I'm not giving her one hee hee.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkissed
I have been to that site and think I got a little nervous reading all the pdf files. Plus when it had the "become a customer" link it seemed only for photographers so I wasn't sure if I was in the right place.
It's definitely not the most potential customer friendly site I've ever navigated, but once you're setup I believe you'll be pleased with the service.

While pro photographers (or digital artists) probably use these folks, too, not once have I ever felt that my "non-pro" business was out of place or unwelcome.

I don't have a hardware calibrated monitor (I use Adobe Gamma once in awhile) and the colors look pretty dang close to my non-pro eyes.

For what it's worth for non-framed canvas only, I really like these folks:
http://www.qualitycanvasphotos.com/home.asp

For color or BW prints, I have been very pleased with: http://www.Mpix.com

It's nice what you're doing for your son's teacher. That sort of inspiration is priceless.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art