RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

watercolor/pastel colors

Old 12-16-2005, 10:26 PM

I do not think that Painting with Painter will accomplish the soft pastel look, one still needs to know what colors to use.

However, should one need to do painting with realistic looking brushes, which cannot be done in photoshop, there are now available, some great software for free.

Deep Paint 2.0 is free download, which is a stand along program plus a plug-in (both) for photoshop and painter here
http://www.download.com/Deep-Paint/3...ml?tag=lst-0-1

Also another great hidden gem for painting is a another free program called ArtRage, at http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

It also seems to me, that now there is a program from big brother Painter called Painter Essentials 3, which does 90 % of painter plus a great deal more, it gives you push button capability to create water color and other paintings, with its new feature called underpainting, and this seems the easy way to get great renditions of watercolor, oil and so forth and it costs about $ 69 to $ 79, plus a free trial for 30 days at http://www.corel.com . Incidently I am getting this one for the kids for xmas. I personally do not have Essentials, I do have all of the others. This package is similar to Studio Artist, except Studio Artist has 3000 presets, and only works on the mac and costs a whole lot more, and poorly documented.

I thought the above information may be useful for those, who want to try the painting route.

Last edited by Chance_1; 12-16-2005 at 10:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia1065
....Right now, I'm not trying to alter the pictures by giving them a painted
look, I'm only trying to soften/beautify the colors. I suppose I just have to admit the fact that it doesn't work with all kinds of pictures...

Sylvia
Tried a simpler approach this time.

Put a blank layer on top of the Background Layer, filled it with white and set the Mode to Soft Light.
The picture looked a little cold and blue so I added a Photo Filter Adjustment Layer, using a red filter with the density set to 38%.
Finally I used a Levels Adjustment Layer and set the Input Levels to 27, 0.89, 255.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 051216boats2.jpg (68.3 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 09:40 PM

Hello again and thanks to all of you for your help!

I sure appreciate all your suggestions and tips. I'm pretty new at messing around with colors, so you'll forgive me if I need a few more details.
Mal, I tried to reproduce your colors by following exactly your steps, but I must do something wrong somewhere, since my final picture is very reddish, not soft and beautiful like yours. I tried it 3 times, and ended up with the same results every time. After adding the white layer and setting the blending mode on soft light, I made a snapshot of it and worked from that one, but to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

I yet have to try to make a swatch as you suggested, Chance_1, that seems a great idea. Thanks so much for suggesting those programs. It's true that Corel Painter is a dedicated program to painting, so I guess I'll have to try it. I had tried Deep Paint but somehow didn't like it too much. Anyway, I'll sure check on those. Thanks again!!!

Oh, Swampy, don't worry, I won't give up, it's been too long since I first tried to get those colors, so I'm not about to give up now! I'm far too obstinate for that! It's true that the links I had pointed to showed heavealy painted pictures, but, as I said, it's the colors I'm after.
As for the "magic bullet", well, who knows, maybe something will come up and make it easy to achieve these results without worsening my carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm on a computer all day at work and my wrists can't take much more than that, so I do have to find a way to make it easier.
Anyway, Mal, I would greatly appreciate it if you would help me again on this matter, I sure like your result!
Thanks again to all of you,
Sylvia

Last edited by sylvia1065; 12-17-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2005, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia1065
....Mal, I tried to reproduce your colors by following exactly your steps, but I must do something wrong somewhere, since my final picture is very reddish, not soft and beautiful like yours. I tried it 3 times, and ended up with the same results every time. After adding the white layer and setting the blending mode on soft light, I made a snapshot of it and worked from that one, but to no avail. What am I doing wrong?

....Anyway, Mal, I would greatly appreciate it if you would help me again on this matter, I sure like your result!
Thanks again to all of you,
Sylvia
I had a play with the directions I gave you and I think the problem may be that I forgot to say that, before adding the Photo Filter Adjustment Layer you must first reselect the Background Layer. Then select the Background Layer again before adding the Levels Adjustment Layer. However, you can adjust the amount of red you add to the picture by adjusting the Density on the Photo Filter Layer (eg: try 22% rather than 38%).
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2005, 06:37 PM

Hi Mal,
I finally found some time to try your technique, it sure works nicely! I like the soft colors you can get that way.
Thanks so much for helping me with this tricky problem!
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2005, 10:29 PM

Thought I would make a postcard type image !

Enlarged the image in PS.
The Underpart of Boat Ramp Road was too dark, and did not look right, so used Curves to lighten it without causing a color shift in the rest of the image..
Made the colors softer for a soft Pastel look, using Curves and Selective Color without getting a color shift.
Then painted it lightly with diagonal strokes.
Applied an artistic edge to the picture.
Then brightened the picture with sharpening and high pass filter to highlight the painted strokes. When this was done, the image magnified the slight yellow cast on the left side of the image on the big building. Left that cast color alone, it could be corrected if needed.
Did not add a canvas texture, it could be added if needed, but that would cover the brush strokes.

When printed "the highlighted strokes" look great. If you are going to print it, use at least 300 dpi resolution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StMarloSoftColorWeb.jpg (95.4 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-24-2005, 04:16 PM

Smile

Hi everybody,
I finally found a way to get the colors I was after.
If you have Buzz Pro, try the Pure Colour on a new layer, it really gives a nice watercolor/pastel look to the pictures.
Thanks again to all of you for your help and suggestions.
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2005, 09:18 PM

Wich one? left or Right

Happy New Year
Feliz Ano Novo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reouchpro12291.jpg (92.8 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2005, 09:48 PM

or Dramatic ONE

I love this One
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reouchpro12291-dpwl-low.jpg (75.2 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2006, 10:28 AM

preference

Left of the first ones posted would be my favorite with the dramatic one a close second.

Palms

Happy New Year
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art