Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Lets paint "Goodlooking family"

Old 12-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I worked in mixed media for years way before the age of graphics.
A girl after my own heart! I'll bet you're still keeping those brushes, paints and paper like I am..............just in case the graphics addiction ever fades!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Teri those elves will be nightmares for Michelle!

Woohoo lovely work everyone!!!

Cat - have you received your chocolates yet? They were sent a week ago, also sent to Allen, so hoping customs do not stop them for a nibble!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2005, 05:21 AM
No, Elle, I haven't received them yet. We'll be gone till tomorrow. I'm hoping the mailman doesn't leave them on the front porch for a wandering dog to find!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-26-2005, 06:14 PM

Hey Ella,

I haven't really found a decent way to convert photos to cartoon illustrations yet. This one is only partially a success, but I wanted to share it with all of you anyway. I used a Script-fu (yes I'm using GIMP) called Invert Colors (the Value remains that of the original, but the colors only get inverted) and kept a copy of this layer. I first place a copy of this layer on top of a copy of the original and set the property to Divide and merged the two layers. On another set, I placed this same layer on top of an original and set the layer properties to Dodge and merged down. I placed the Divided layer on top of the Dodged layer and all the above on top of the original (you know in actuality I did this all on a total of five layers; just easier to explain it this way; LOL). I set the top layer to Saturation and the
Center layer to Value and adjusted the Opacity of the Center layer and then flatten. I ported the result into PS for additional simplification using Impressionist and done. Again, not quite there yet, but at least the facial features are more flat (reduced shadows).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goodlookingfamily.jpg (99.5 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art