RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative challenge 008: Mosaic effects

Old 12-21-2005, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll
Side note: here's a PDF article outlining using Voronai grids to align tiles; really makes for realistic mosaics.
lkroll -- did you use this article to help you align your tiles? Even if I really concentrated, I don't think I understand what to do with it -- any short, easy, summaries of how to use it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Craig! Those are marvelous! The first is very "commercial" (my taste) the second is kinda fun like she's winking at us. Good job
thanks dee dee a little was lost on the first one in particular. the grout is missing in a few places there.

danny, i love the white grout look.

and camon, very cool. as if done on a plaster wall and plaster is cracking. this was all done in dream suite?

lkroll, i'd have to spend a month with a dictionary to make any sense of that voronai pdf. but thanks

cj, very cool. reminds me of rough slate textures.

bob mc, which of the autofx filters/plugins did you use to get that? very nice.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacleve
Hello, everyone. I'm new here -- my name is Janet Aldrich, I'm from Cleveland, Ohio, I'm 44 and a new graphic design student, after lots of years of getting by on instinct.

I started out using Jasc's PSP, back about ver. 4 or so. I'm still fond of it, although I don't figure I'll go past 9, now that Corel's got their hands on it (no offense to those who like Corel -- I'm just wary of their track record.)

Here are a couple of attempts I took. The first one uses PSPs Antique Mosaic filter and the Cobblestone texture effect.

The second one probably won't look as good, just because I had to do some reducing to get it under the 100K limit for the uploader. I used the one-step Photo Fix to enhance lights and shadows and then the Tile effect. Without the Photo Fix, everything blurred together too much.

jma
Welcome, jma...

Nice to have you join us. Your interpretations add variety to the mix so far. Well done.

re: Suspicious of Corel
I know what you mean. I'm optimistic they'll keep their act together since I now (barely) use Painter.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Here are a couple rendered with the FREE DreamSuite Mosaic plugin. Check out this link: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/63757-post1.html. I know it works with Photoshop; I believe it works with Painter, PSP, Elements, etc.

The 3rd one is from applying Photoshop's Mosaic command (setting=11), followed by Paint Daubs (2,27,Simple), then a mega-dose of Unsharp Mask (250,4.0,0).

Finally, another from an action I'm tinkering with.

Cheers...

~Danny~

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 01-27-2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Fix a link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2005, 06:01 PM

Auto Fx

Craig,
It was the Mesh effect - from Dream Suite series two.

A "layout" mode allows you to define how many strips to use - both horizontally and vertically as well as the spacing of the strips. You can even meld two images into the mesh whose shape can also be varied

The "layout" mode of the Mesh effect allows you to give the pieces "dimensions" by allowing edge curls, bevels, etc as well as deckled edges.

I don't remember what edge effect I applied - there are about a zillion possibilities there.

Someone mentioned that the Auto FX software is expensive and it is. Sometimes you can write them and ask for a "deal" on some combination of their sw - it worked for me.

If you have a real need for the type of effects the Dream Suite series does - then it's probably much easier to do the effects thru their sw than to try to do it yourself.

Their "edges" software is somewhat of a different story - in my experience.
A few forum participants have said that there is nothing in there that you couldn't create yourself - and - in my use of that sw, I've found that if you find a preset that works it is quick and easy (although you have to scan a lot of edges to identify a sub-set that fits your style initially) But, if you try to "build" your own using the large number of variables available - it wasn't quick nor easy for me. I only use the sw occasionally so each time I have to go thru somewhat of a trial and error process.

I believe they have demo versions and now I think they have training videos for some of their products. I'd highly recommend trying the demos if available and - if I knew then what I know now- I'd buy a training video on the "Edges" product before I actually bought the sw.

Hope this helps

Regards

Bob Mc
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Patron

Answer: No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz
lkroll -- did you use this article to help you align your tiles? Even if I really concentrated, I don't think I understand what to do with it -- any short, easy, summaries of how to use it?
Strait filter work CJ. GIMP has a cool Mosaic filter. I added GIMP's Bumpmap filter to give the tiles a 3D feel. It would be cool to have a filter that would emulate what the article has, but, the closest result I've seen came from Catherine's (a.k.a., Raniday) submission using selections in Painter IX and tools built within it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 PM

Here is somemore Autofx with some adjustment layers... fun stuff.
~Nancy~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bara for mosaic1.jpg (94.3 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 07:15 AM

Fascinating thread with awesome mosaic paintings, everyone!

Danny, I had forgotten about the DreamSuite mosaic plugin. Thanks for reminding us.

CJ, I'm glad you asked the question
Quote:
Even if I really concentrated, I don't think I understand what to do with it -- any short, easy, summaries of how to use it?
When you posted it, Ikroll, I was thinking, "Oh Gosh! Wish I'd paid more attention in my math classes! "

Quote:
Auto FX software is expensive. Sometimes you can write them and ask for a "deal" on some combination of their sw - it worked for me.
Thanks for the tip, Bob.
Quote:
Their "edges" software is somewhat of a different story...A few forum participants have said that there is nothing in there that you couldn't create yourself -
The only edge that I've really lusted after in that program is the one that simulates Polaroid emulsion transfers, and it does it exceptionally well, according to their examples. I've done some that came fairly close but no cigar.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 08:22 AM

danny, i like that third one in your series of four the best.

bob mc, thank you

and, using the link danny provided i retrieved and installed the autofx mosaic and gave it a whirl....

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bara-mosaic-3-k-1.jpg (94.5 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll
...It would be cool to have a filter that would emulate what the article has, but, the closest result I've seen came from Catherine's (a.k.a., Raniday) submission using selections in Painter IX and tools built within it.
Whew! I think I'm glad that I don't have to try to learn that article! Cat, Craig -- I'm glad I wasn't the only one who wanted a short summary.
I like your submission,lkroll -- GIMP plus skill equals a fine look!

Cat's work is great (especially at full size on PBase rather than our restricted RPro limit). Again, Painter plus skill equals fine work.

I downloaded the AutoFx Mosaic filter also and used it as a base, then added a texture from a sunflower image (to make a few curves). Hmmm, gave her a "sunflower" nose (better than cauliflower, but not as good as her own) -- have to work on that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bara-mosaic2-cj.jpg (79.3 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 02:36 PM

had to have another go at this:

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bara-mosaic-4-k-1.jpg (97.1 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art