RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative interpretations: Football player

Old 01-02-2006, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats
Couple layers of Impressionist. Don't remember what settings I wound up with. dc
That's unforunate. This is one of the better Impressionist rendered effects that I've seen in quite a while.

If you could attempt to recreate the effect and note/post the details, I'm sure I won't be the only one who is appreciative.

The rotation and edge treatment work well, too.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 AM

Happy New Year to All

I just LOVE football! Thanks for the great photo, Danny!

PhotoShop CS

Masked out the player (Quick Mask Mode), rotated slightly and repositioned to center him better. Duplicated the masked layer and moved the lower copy to the left and applied some motion blur. Duplicated the blur layer and moved slightly left again and set blend mode to Multiply.

Added a background layer under the above three layers and cloned back some background and did a gausian blur on the clone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swampys-RP-football-player.jpg (52.4 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
That's unforunate. This is one of the better Impressionist rendered effects that I've seen in quite a while.

If you could attempt to recreate the effect and note/post the details, I'm sure I won't be the only one who is appreciative.

The rotation and edge treatment work well, too.

~Danny~
Danny, thanks for the compliment. I mean, gosh. That's high praise coming from you.
I've done my best to recreate what I did.

The bottom layer was Impressionist>Paint>Angled strokes
I used a rounder, sketchier brush rather than the zig-zag thing the default version uses and probably twiddled a couple other things too but alas those changes are lost to the ages. The first attachment shows what the result looked like.

Above that I used a preset I'd saved from an earlier effort. I've attached that preset along with the result. I set the opacity of the top layer to 42%.

I had to clone out some undesirable scallopy-looking parts of the underlying layer, mostly on his right arm at the edge of the jersey sleeve.

The edge treatment was dictated by the rotation of the canvas--it was either that or recreate a whole lot of the background (which wouldn't have been all that hard) plus some of the guy's hand (which would).

Glad you liked it.

david
Attached Images
File Type: jpg layer1.jpg (92.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg layer2.jpg (97.9 KB, 17 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip #dkcpaint.zip (288 Bytes, 5 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 03:16 PM

Nice pic, but orange and blue on the uniform would have made it perfect. 8-)

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Football PlrSC2.jpg (95.7 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats
Danny, thanks for the compliment. I mean, gosh. That's high praise coming from you.
I've done my best to recreate what I did.

The bottom layer was Impressionist>Paint>Angled strokes
I used a rounder, sketchier brush rather than the zig-zag thing the default version uses and probably twiddled a couple other things too but alas those changes are lost to the ages. The first attachment shows what the result looked like.

Above that I used a preset I'd saved from an earlier effort. I've attached that preset along with the result. I set the opacity of the top layer to 42%.

I had to clone out some undesirable scallopy-looking parts of the underlying layer, mostly on his right arm at the edge of the jersey sleeve.

The edge treatment was dictated by the rotation of the canvas--it was either that or recreate a whole lot of the background (which wouldn't have been all that hard) plus some of the guy's hand (which would).

Glad you liked it.

david
Thanks a lot for the reconstruction, info and preset, David. That helps a lot.

You done good.

- - - - - - -

Steve: That's a pretty far departure from Buzz, which you've been favoring lately. The "oil painting look" really stands out. I wouldn't mind reading about your details, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2006, 09:41 PM

Fresco football

There are many Photoshop filters that I never use because (to me) they just ruin an image. Artistic > Fresco was one of them. The results were always too dark.

Then it hit me: After applying Fresco, why not follow up with Edit > Fade and choose a blend modes that would keep the arty look, but subdue some of the darkening?

So I experimented by trying Edit > Fade (Screen, Lighten and Overlay -- depending on ) after Fresco... Guess what? I saw possibilities and started playing around further. Then I tried applying Angled Strokes to a Fresco-ed layer, which gave it the look of pencil hatching.

Anyway it would take a month to describe how I did my version of our football guy, so I wrote an action to recreate the basic, but unfinished, effect if anyone feels like experimenting.

Results will vary from image to image, but with the flexibility afforded by multiple layers and layer masks, there are a lot of possibilities.

~Danny~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP Football player djr.jpg (97.0 KB, 36 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip ART Sketch Fresco Invert Color Dodge.zip (1.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by DannyRaphael; 01-03-2006 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Fix a couple of typos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 11:50 AM

Thanks Danny.

I painted the image using various art media tools, duped the layer over the painted one and added virtual painter played with the blends and when I came up with one I liked, "normal" I think, I reduced the opacity to 55 percent.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
- - - - - - -

Steve: That's a pretty far departure from Buzz, which you've been favoring lately. The "oil painting look" really stands out. I wouldn't mind reading about your details, too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 12:29 PM

danny,

nice crosshatch sketch (i think that's what to call it). reminds me of an artist i knew years ago who did pencils.

interesting how an often neglected tool can suddenly take on life, isnt it

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2006, 01:03 PM

Steve... you wanted a Gator player?

Here ya go...

Used Danny's sketched version, added a layer below and set the sketch for Blend mode of screen. I also set the Blending OPTIONS on the sketch layer for 0/18 and 93/235 for the layer below.

Painted orange and blue on the layer below.

GO NOLES!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP-colorized-Football-playe.jpg (44.5 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2006, 08:41 AM

I love it! Nice job. And from a Seminole fan too. I'm impressed.

Now why didn't I think of that? And the "F" on the helmet came in handy too. 8-)

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Steve... you wanted a Gator player?

Here ya go...

Used Danny's sketched version, added a layer below and set the sketch for Blend mode of screen. I also set the Blending OPTIONS on the sketch layer for 0/18 and 93/235 for the layer below.

Painted orange and blue on the layer below.

GO NOLES!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art