RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Animations, Morphs, Composites and Slide Shows

Old 02-08-2006, 12:32 AM

ken,

here's the link to their site: http://www.aprelium.com/

in their overview page, all i could find about suuport for the various versions of windows is that they say it works on a windows machine. they didnt specify 98, me, xp, 2k or any other version.... just 'windows'. but, since it also works on other os'es, like linux and freebsd, i would assume almost any version of windows.... but that's just an assumption, so i dont know for sure.

my ip number shows because i dont have a domain name, just a dedicated ip number. and, it really doesnt matter; any domain name can be looked up for the numeric address.

yeah, i couldnt really see paying for a remote site either. i've had too many friends who've had the remote site go down and then what? you cant do anything about it if you cant log in. i also have extra computers, but i usually only have one going at a time. with this system i could easily set up a dedicated machine that's on all the time. since i'm currently just experimenting with this, i just take it down each night when i log off. eventually, i'll probably leave it up all the time.

another advantage to this is building the actual web site. it's just SO much easier to move files around on my own machine than have to ftp them to a remote site, test them, and do the whole thing again. with this, i can just edit and save as and it's done. hardly any interruption to service and no hassle with ftp and so on. i've already begun reworking my stuff. very easy

there's also another nice feature you can do. if you have a hardware router, you can plug both machines into the router but not set up a lan. this keeps the machines isolated, but you can still do file sends across the internet if you know how. i tend to prefer the lan; it just makes things a bit easier, but the non-lan is a tiny bit more secure. actually, you could probably just send the files through the router, but i havent gotten that far yet i'm still learning this stuff.

also, i dont know how much experience you have with site building, but if you're a novice like me, mozilla (the browser) has a very nice, simple, but decently powerful, 'Composer' built in. i really dont want to have to learn html, asp, cgi, php and all that stuff and more than i have to. i just want simple, fast, and let's concentrate on photo stuff, not site stuff. so, i can recommend their 'Composer' program for fast and simple.

let me know how it goes.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-11-2006, 10:50 PM

apparently my server has been down. well, actually, the server has been up but the router went a little nuts. i'm not sure if this was from the Abyss server messing with something or what, but i had to take the router off the passthrough and then bellsouth went down a couple times here recently as well...hopefully not from all my screwing around

at any rate, i did manage to have the server checked by someone else from a remote connection to me and it seems to be working now. however, if a few folks from here could click on a couple of the links in the above thread and post their results, i'd appreciate it. i'm particularly interested in checking the web server pages: http://65.5.254.8:8080 . just let me know if you can see the main page there. it shld show a background flower picture and have some text on the main page saying, "Craig's Place" and then below that, "Enter". the person checking this for me couldnt see the background picture, but that might be local to him, so i'd like to double check this with some hits from here.

i'd do this myself, but you cant ring up your own address from your own address, so all i get when i try is 'connection timed out'. i can check it internally, but that doesnt show me the pass through, which is what i need to have verified.

craig

Last edited by Craig Walters; 02-16-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 04:26 AM

The connection has timed out
The server at 65.5.254.8 is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 11:27 AM

thanks ken. something still seems to be amiss here.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 03:36 PM

Proofs- Slideshow automated by PS for client proofs... or whatever.

Well craig this isn't anything as cool or complicated as the files you create, but since the heading on the tread is Animations, Morphs, Composites and "Slideshows," I thought this might fit here, if not feel free to move it.

Yesterday I posted a tutorial on how photoshop could automate an online proof gallery - no html knowledge required located here:http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/rp-tutorials/12810-easily-safely-provide-proofs-your-client.html

Here is yet another way Photoshop can help you to safely provide proofs to you clients by automating a PDF slideshow, with transitions and password protection. It only takes a few minutes and your slideshow is ready to email to you client. Here we go:

1. In Photoshop, open all of the files you would like to present to you client. For the best presentation, the images should be the same dimensions.

2. File >Automate> PDF Presentation. You will be presented with a dialog box (see Image 1).

3. Source Files: Check the box "Add Open Files"

4. Output Options: select 'Presentation." If you would like to see the outcome when you are finished check the "View PDF after Saving" button.

5. Presentation Options: here you can choose how many seconds between slides and if you would like the presentation to loop.

6. Presentation Options: Transitions: Choose a transition between frames. I used the "Slide" in the example
7. Click on the "Save" button and you will be asked to name the file. Notice the file ends with .pdf

8. Now you are presented with another dialog box with a number of different options (see image 2). If you click on PDF Security "Security Settings" button, you will be presented with yet another dialog box that allows you to password protect this file (see image 3). You can choose to have the client provide a password of your choice just to view the file. You can also protect the file from someone printing, extracting or making changes to the file and different choices of accessibility are given depending upon which version you choose from the "Compatibility" pull-down menu... Pretty cool huh? Note that the printing restrictions are only applied when the file is opened in Acrobat.

When you are finished and save your file, you will be asked to verify the passwords (when applicable) you input into the PDF Security dialog box. When you are finished, if you selected "View PDF after Saving, and password protected the file, you will be asked to provide the password and your file will open in Acrobat. You can now email this file to you client.

I hope this was useful. Have fun

~Nancy~

File Type: jpg image1.jpg (39.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (29.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (54.0 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 03:45 PM

excellent, nancy. you have a working example somewhere we could see?

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
excellent, nancy. you have a working example somewhere we could see?

craig
I do craig, but it isn't downloading correctly. I tested it and it is a slideshow, but when downloaded through a link on my site, it downloads though a view as a PDF with multiple pages.... argh... I don't have a clue why it does that. If you email the file it downloads as a slideshow...

Here is the link: http://www.fixthepixs.com/test_slideshow
The password to download the file is: rp
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 04:39 PM

nancy,

i took a look at your link in mozilla and internet explorer. it loads the images in both exactly the same way. but, it does not run as an automated slide show in either. in fact, the operation is exactly the same in both, which surprises me. if i right click on any of the images i get a little popup menu with which to navigate the images and that's it. if i use the back button of the browser, it simply takes me back to the login page.

so, i dont know if that's how this is supposed to work or not, but it works the same in both mozilla and i.e.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
nancy,

i took a look at your link in mozilla and internet explorer. it loads the images in both exactly the same way. but, it does not run as an automated slide show in either. in fact, the operation is exactly the same in both, which surprises me. if i right click on any of the images i get a little popup menu with which to navigate the images and that's it. if i use the back button of the browser, it simply takes me back to the login page.

so, i dont know if that's how this is supposed to work or not, but it works the same in both mozilla and i.e.

craig
Thanks craig! I appriciate you taking the time to test the link. It is so weird, isn't it? I emailed the file to several people and it played as a slideshow. When you create the slideshow in PS, the first dialog boxs gives you a choice of slideshow or multi-page document; I wonder if maybe it is a little quirky!
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-13-2006, 01:53 PM

nancy,

with all the browser types now, the vagaries of net pages, and the vargaries of software at times, i'm surprised anything works

also, could you check my web page link and post your results for me? i think my firewall may be blocking this thing.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art