RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Old Man

Old 02-04-2006, 03:44 PM

Gertrudis Info Request

Catherine: thanks to your post I found and investigated Gertrudis, and also found Dogwaffle (and downloaded the Dogwaffle freebie). These programs are tantalizing for what they seem to be able to let you do. Your impressions were really great, and it is good work like yours and others that draws me from image enhancement to image impressions.....but I digress.

My question is: does Gertrudis require or depend on the Dogwaffle "engine" or program to be loaded on one's system? I saw the phrase "standalone" but I am still unclear about what the requirements are and whether Gertrudis PS is sufficient or whether the Pro version adds significant additional functionality.

Can you take a minute (or anyone) and supply a few more words about Gertrudis, which version, other program requirements, etc.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi, Ken. I'm just getting acquainted w/ Gertrudis Pro. I bought it after Christmas, and each time I open it (which hasn't been often), I like it a little better. I decided to get the stand alone version, and so that's all I know about. I don't have Dogwaffle, but a lot of folks like it. I made my decision to get the Pro version based on the website info. I hope that answers your questions, if not, let me know.

Ms. Janet asked me in a PM about the texture, so I'll just go ahead and answer you here, dear girl. I've also been wanting that Crackle plugin from AutoFX, but I can't make myself turn loose of $50 right now. Anyway, I remembered the Baked Earth filter in an old Xenofex plugin, played with it for a while and got a reasonably acceptable crackle. Maybe with more time I can do better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 06:09 PM

Catherine: thanks for sharing the information. I've visited your website and marvel and the work you have done. What software have you been using before you got Gertrudis, if I may ask?

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 11:50 PM

janet,

we all comment on each others' work, but sometimes we forget that someone took the picture. you did a nice job. thank you

had to give this one another go.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee3-1-k-1.jpg (96.1 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 08:39 AM

Interesting interpretation, Craig.
Quote:
but sometimes we forget that someone took the picture
Here! Here! Janet's a great photographer, and one o' these days I'm going to make the trek half a state away and join her for a photograhy outing

Quote:
What software have you been using before you got Gertrudis, if I may ask?
Thanks for your encouraging words, Ken. PhotoShop is my homebase. I began using Painter about 6 months ago, and it's fascinating. And I have PaintShop Pro. Some pictures visit all 3 programs, more than once
My favorite tool in PhotoShop is Art History, which is often the beginning of a "brush stroke" type painting. Jeremy Suttons's brushes and Captured Bristle are my fav brushes in Painter, and my most used tool in PSP is Digital Camera Noise Remover.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 10:10 AM

Tried a b&w sketch just to see how that would work.

Hard even for me to really mess up too badly with nice images like these.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man5sketch2.jpg (94.3 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 12:14 PM

Great photos. Thought I'd give one a go too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldMan.jpg (60.3 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 01:36 PM

Catherine: you're welcome, and thanks for sharing which programs you use. I am really still in the newbie category (perhaps in sophomore or junior class of newbies ), but still learning lots and lots of basics of..... PSPx and I have PS7 but have been concentrating on PSPx. Along comes this Photo-Based Art Forum along with some of the software mentioned in this thread and others, and I have been hooked; I am simultaneously "trying" the Dogwaffle as well as Deep Paint programs. If I had two more hands, I could get them all running at the same time.

The attached is my first attempt thru Deep Paint, barely reading the Help files. This is a discontinued program (so not a lot of help available), but it also seems to have a lot of controls/features. The attached is literally my first attempt with Deep Paint and I realize that there are even incomplete "spots", but it is really an interesting program, and the result is not half bad.

Ken

PS: are there any Deep Paint users here? If yes, where do you go for help/tips?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldMan01.jpg (76.1 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2006, 01:42 PM

to echo what has already been said great photographer, great subject/ great gentleman

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee2.jpg (92.0 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2006, 05:02 AM

Great photo Janet.
Kiska I love what you did!!
I used usm, smudge & texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plumlee1a.jpg (75.7 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art