RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Old Man

Old 02-02-2006, 08:38 PM

Old Man

This man can speak about days gone by with all the clarity and recall as if it were yesterday. He made music with Gene Autrey and others. He lived with his grandparents growing up and can tell stories about the area he lives in from its very early history. In fact, he still lives on the same land his family has owned since before the Civil War. Today, he just takes care of his cows, who love him, the birds, stray cats, ducks, and a couple of deer. He won't remember tomorrow that I talked with him today...but I will. He possesses a gentle, loving spirit, wouldn't harm a fly, and loves to visit. If you happen to see him on the roadside, wave and say howdy. He will always wave back.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee1.jpg (99.3 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg CPlumlee2.jpg (97.8 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg CPlumlee3.jpg (98.0 KB, 222 views)
Old 02-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Patron

Flaming Pear's Pixel Trash and Paint Engine combo again.

Fantastic capture Janet. Thanks for allow us to play. After Pixel Trash, I used @Wetter2 preset for Paint Engine. I then applied canvas. 3 minute job, but I like the result.

Equally fast, the second one was creating using GIMP's Retinex filter (my Metallic b/w process but kept in color) and then duplicated and ran Harry's Atmospherizer filter set to Value. I then ran a Clothify Script-fu for the background texture.

The final submission is a b/w conversion (my other hobby). I duplicated and ran an Invert Color Script-fu set to screen. Selective color dodge burn to enhance the contrast, and then ran BSSS (Blur Subtract Screen Sharpening) to sharpen the piece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee2.jpg (98.8 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg CPlumlee1.jpg (99.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg CPlumlee3.jpg (99.0 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by lkroll; 02-02-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:10 AM

An excellent character study! Lot's of possibilities here.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a mansc.jpg (88.6 KB, 186 views)
Old 02-03-2006, 08:01 AM

Another try at man with hay.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manbz.jpg (93.2 KB, 112 views)
Old 02-03-2006, 08:21 AM

Hard working man...deep in thought.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ManVP.jpg (98.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-03-2006, 08:28 AM

Good one for Van Gogh treatment too.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manvg2.jpg (99.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 02-03-2006, 09:17 AM

Janet, these are great images. I enjoyed working on them.

But I especially liked the story that you posted with them. I hope you write professionally, or at least jot down your thoughts from time to time for others to read as you did here.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
This man can speak about days gone by with all the clarity and recall as if it were yesterday. He made music with Gene Autrey and others. He lived with his grandparents growing up and can tell stories about the area he lives in from its very early history. In fact, he still lives on the same land his family has owned since before the Civil War. Today, he just takes care of his cows, who love him, the birds, stray cats, ducks, and a couple of deer. He won't remember tomorrow that I talked with him today...but I will. He possesses a gentle, loving spirit, wouldn't harm a fly, and loves to visit. If you happen to see him on the roadside, wave and say howdy. He will always wave back.

Janet
Old 02-03-2006, 09:33 AM

Thank you Steve. You made my day.

I'm so glad you are having fun with his pictures. I filled nearly an entire 2 gb card with his images and plan to again.

Janet

Last edited by Janet Petty; 02-03-2006 at 10:50 AM. Reason: correcting typos
Old 02-03-2006, 10:36 AM

I look forward to seeing more. And I can understand your shooting as many as you did....great stuff.

Steve

Quote:
Thank you Steve. You made my day.

I'm go glad you are having fun with his pictures. I filled nearly an entire 2 gb card with his images and plan to again.

Janet
Old 02-03-2006, 01:58 PM

Fun photo to play with, thank you.
~Nancy~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rp-cplumlee.jpg (56.8 KB, 127 views)
Old 02-03-2006, 03:16 PM

this one is particularly poignant to me as i have a friend just across the street who has alzheimers(sp?), but who is one of those same, 'salt of the earth type folks.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heart and soul-1-k-1a.jpg (94.1 KB, 141 views)
Old 02-03-2006, 03:40 PM

I'm pleased Mr. Plumlee's image evokes strong emotion in everyone else as it did me.

Here is my first one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee2done.jpg (98.4 KB, 129 views)
Old 02-04-2006, 04:52 AM

Janet, the day you posted this I learned the old caretaker for this property had been hospitalized. His name is Louie and he's a retired Fla. cowboy. Drove himself to the hospital at midnight (about 30 miles), xrays showed inoperable bad things, and proceeded to leave. The nurse told him he should stay in the hospital. Louie's reply, " I just stopped by for an x-ray. Gonna go to Walmart, pick up some dog food and go home."

Luckily the nurse knew his family,called them, and got reinforcements. And how I regret never taking any photos of him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee1-janet-pettyPOST-r.jpg (74.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-04-2006, 05:49 AM
Patron

Not sure if this technically counts as photo-based-art but I wanted to create an image that evoked the same kind of response and your story... not sure I quite got there but this is what I ended up with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldman.jpg (98.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 02-04-2006, 06:01 AM

Some people have a different perspective on life and that other part of life we call death than the rest of us. I'd been wanting to take pictures of this man for years and would drive by him and think. But that's all I'd do. Think.

Once I saw him dragging a whole bale of hay across the pasture. The cows were all following in a line behind him. It reminded me of a mother duck with all of her ducklings right behind. I thought then too. Those cows loved him. He's wasn't just the dinner bringer. That was proved the day I stopped. The cows came to the fence and wanted me to scratch foreheads. Now, how many cows in this day and age of raise 'em, sell 'em, butcher 'em will do that?

Kiska, you can still take pictures of him. Don't miss the chance. Take pictures of his work worn hands, close-ups of his weathered face. They will be treasured long after he is gone. The memories stored in minds will be freed and given life when people see those pictures. It isn't too late.

HUGZ
Janet
Old 02-04-2006, 06:46 AM

Here's my try. Various layers with buzz, xero lineart drawing, impressionist and VP oil.

Full size version at http://bigbluebird.com/oldman.jpg

Amy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldmansmall.jpg (93.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-04-2006, 07:00 AM

Wonderful photos, Janet, and you've inspired some beautiful paintings. I've downloaded them to play with later. I think your words have stirred in all of us the feelings of "shoulda" taken those pictures.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:23 AM

Mr. Plumlee #2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mr-Plumblee2.jpg (90.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-04-2006, 08:09 AM

Delightful Kiska
Old 02-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiska
Mr. Plumlee #2.
Very nice O/C Kiska.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:58 AM

Ping:Craig - Frame

Hey Craig: I am a PSPx user like yourself. I really would like to know how to make the frame you put around the Old Man image (well done btw, as were all in this series). Anyway, can you point me towards a script or suggest some steps (might take more time than you want to devote). Nonetheless, I would appreciate any suggestions or specifics.

Boy, would I like to have that frame recipe.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 02-04-2006, 09:01 AM

Thanks guys...........O/C?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:02 AM

Oil/Canvas?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:45 AM

I don't mean to leave anyone out in the praise department because everyone has done well. There are a couple that really strike me. Kiska that last one is a masterpiece!!! And NancyJ, WOW!

Janet

Last edited by Janet Petty; 02-04-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:59 AM

ken45140,

the 'frame' is not a frame at all, really. i made 3 borders at varying thicknesses. i then made a selection of just the picture itself and not any of the borders. i applied the drop shadow tool and then the chisel tool. and that was pretty much it.

i suppose you could make a script of this but it's almost just as easy to do by hand, with the advantage that you can alter things more easily when it's all in your work history. i tested several frames and border combinations and because psp 10 now allows you to add and remove individual steps in the history, regardless of sequence, this makes creating 'frames' like this very easy.

craig
Old 02-04-2006, 10:45 AM

Craig: got it!! Pretty simple and pretty effective. Scripting one's favorites is a snap also. Thanks for the instruction.

Ken
Old 02-04-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Once I saw him dragging a whole bale of hay across the pasture. The cows were all following in a line behind him. It reminded me of a mother duck with all of her ducklings right behind. I thought then too. Those cows loved him. He's wasn't just the dinner bringer. That was proved the day I stopped. The cows came to the fence and wanted me to scratch foreheads. Now, how many cows in this day and age of raise 'em, sell 'em, butcher 'em will do that?Janet
I love the stories you have shared with us about this gentle man, but even more than that, I love that you are a person who is touched by these events and these images. It takes a gentle lady to recognize a gentle man.

One of my favorite aunts lost her ability to remember all but her early life, but she loved to talk to me (even tho she didn't know who I was) and she would sometimes re-tell the same story twice in a row without knowing it -- but she was fun to talk to and enjoyed the conversation, as did I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raniday
Wonderful photos, Janet, and you've inspired some beautiful paintings.... I think your words have stirred in all of us the feelings of "shoulda" taken those pictures.
Well said, and I agree. Lovely work by all, and lovely inspiration by Janet.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:48 AM

They're all turning out to be masterpieces, ladies & gents!
I intended to do one in Gertrudis, and I ended up doing all 3 there. On the third one, I experimented with a crackle texture, probably overdone, using Xenofex.

Janet, I also posted these (higher res) on PBase and gave you credit, top left. Thanks for a wonderful set of images to play with.
http://www.pbase.com/catbounds/old_man_paintings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old-Man-orig.-Janet-rtp.jpg (93.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg old-man-2 orig-janet-rtp.jpg (90.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Old-man-3-rtp.jpg (80.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Patron

DJR muckup
Pattern stamp
A couple runs through Impressionist
Match color against a Rembrandt
Curves & hue/sat
Texturizer - canvas

Hope I did the old fellow justice.

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MrPlumlee.jpg (94.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Patron

Another shot at Mr. Plumlee...

Muckup
Caravaggio
Pattern stamp
Impressionist

dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MrPlumlee2.jpg (97.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-04-2006, 02:44 PM

Gertrudis Info Request

Catherine: thanks to your post I found and investigated Gertrudis, and also found Dogwaffle (and downloaded the Dogwaffle freebie). These programs are tantalizing for what they seem to be able to let you do. Your impressions were really great, and it is good work like yours and others that draws me from image enhancement to image impressions.....but I digress.

My question is: does Gertrudis require or depend on the Dogwaffle "engine" or program to be loaded on one's system? I saw the phrase "standalone" but I am still unclear about what the requirements are and whether Gertrudis PS is sufficient or whether the Pro version adds significant additional functionality.

Can you take a minute (or anyone) and supply a few more words about Gertrudis, which version, other program requirements, etc.

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-04-2006, 04:12 PM

Hi, Ken. I'm just getting acquainted w/ Gertrudis Pro. I bought it after Christmas, and each time I open it (which hasn't been often), I like it a little better. I decided to get the stand alone version, and so that's all I know about. I don't have Dogwaffle, but a lot of folks like it. I made my decision to get the Pro version based on the website info. I hope that answers your questions, if not, let me know.

Ms. Janet asked me in a PM about the texture, so I'll just go ahead and answer you here, dear girl. I've also been wanting that Crackle plugin from AutoFX, but I can't make myself turn loose of $50 right now. Anyway, I remembered the Baked Earth filter in an old Xenofex plugin, played with it for a while and got a reasonably acceptable crackle. Maybe with more time I can do better.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:09 PM

Catherine: thanks for sharing the information. I've visited your website and marvel and the work you have done. What software have you been using before you got Gertrudis, if I may ask?

Ken
Old 02-04-2006, 10:50 PM

janet,

we all comment on each others' work, but sometimes we forget that someone took the picture. you did a nice job. thank you

had to give this one another go.

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee3-1-k-1.jpg (96.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 02-05-2006, 07:39 AM

Interesting interpretation, Craig.
Quote:
but sometimes we forget that someone took the picture
Here! Here! Janet's a great photographer, and one o' these days I'm going to make the trek half a state away and join her for a photograhy outing

Quote:
What software have you been using before you got Gertrudis, if I may ask?
Thanks for your encouraging words, Ken. PhotoShop is my homebase. I began using Painter about 6 months ago, and it's fascinating. And I have PaintShop Pro. Some pictures visit all 3 programs, more than once
My favorite tool in PhotoShop is Art History, which is often the beginning of a "brush stroke" type painting. Jeremy Suttons's brushes and Captured Bristle are my fav brushes in Painter, and my most used tool in PSP is Digital Camera Noise Remover.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:10 AM

Tried a b&w sketch just to see how that would work.

Hard even for me to really mess up too badly with nice images like these.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man5sketch2.jpg (94.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-05-2006, 11:14 AM

Great photos. Thought I'd give one a go too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldMan.jpg (60.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-05-2006, 12:36 PM

Catherine: you're welcome, and thanks for sharing which programs you use. I am really still in the newbie category (perhaps in sophomore or junior class of newbies ), but still learning lots and lots of basics of..... PSPx and I have PS7 but have been concentrating on PSPx. Along comes this Photo-Based Art Forum along with some of the software mentioned in this thread and others, and I have been hooked; I am simultaneously "trying" the Dogwaffle as well as Deep Paint programs. If I had two more hands, I could get them all running at the same time.

The attached is my first attempt thru Deep Paint, barely reading the Help files. This is a discontinued program (so not a lot of help available), but it also seems to have a lot of controls/features. The attached is literally my first attempt with Deep Paint and I realize that there are even incomplete "spots", but it is really an interesting program, and the result is not half bad.

Ken

PS: are there any Deep Paint users here? If yes, where do you go for help/tips?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldMan01.jpg (76.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-05-2006, 12:42 PM

to echo what has already been said great photographer, great subject/ great gentleman

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee2.jpg (92.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-06-2006, 04:02 AM

Great photo Janet.
Kiska I love what you did!!
I used usm, smudge & texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plumlee1a.jpg (75.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-06-2006, 04:26 AM

Yes, Ken, I've got Deep Paint, and there's a thread somewhere (do a search) where some of us were going to delve into the program, but like you, most of us only have 2 hands, and so there just isn't time enough to play with all our toys. It's a fascinating program, though. Your Deep Paint version is very interesting. You might want to post a link to it in the Deep Paint thread and maybe rekindle some interest.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:10 PM

Pastel Version

What a wonderful face. Thanks Janet for sharing these great pictures.
I started in Painter and ended in Photoshop for final touches. I find skin tones in Painter really touchy and often too saturated, so work with really low saturation. If anyone has some tips I would appreciate it.
MargaretM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee3.jpg (90.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-06-2006, 03:45 PM

WOW folks. You are all posting some amazing pieces. You shouldn't be thanking me. I should be thanking you for the inspiration I'm getting in return. In any case, I can do without the big head. Just joking. For real...Thank you for the honors.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chester-Plumlee-3-Feb-06-(3.jpg (98.8 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Janet Petty; 02-06-2006 at 07:21 PM. Reason: uploaded picture
Old 02-06-2006, 10:18 PM

and yet another

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldman-1-k-1b.jpg (95.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-07-2006, 08:10 AM

Pencil..

and another.
MargaretM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee4.jpg (98.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-07-2006, 09:21 AM

it is addictive, isnt it

craig
Old 02-07-2006, 12:29 PM

Yes it is - Photoshop addiction, a new "malady". Better than other addictive options though!
MargaretM
Old 02-07-2006, 08:57 PM

Couldn't keep on looking at your lovely submissions without wanting to do one myself -- using art history brush, a crop, and selective coloring...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee2-cj.jpg (99.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-11-2006, 01:13 AM

Hello everyone and congratulations on such a great variety of posts!!!

What marvellous photos Janet and a wonderful story to match them. Thank you.

I did this in Painter with just two brushes.
i.e. Oil Pastels/Variable Oil Pastel 30 and Soft Pastel.

I haven't ventured into Oil Pastels until now so thoroughly enjoyed the exercise.

Cheers
Pauline
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elderly Gent.jpg (92.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-24-2006, 11:10 AM

I downloaded this image ages ago and finally got round to playing with it today. I started this in Gertrudis then cloned in Painter, finished off in Photoshop.

You can view a larger version here: Old Man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clone-of-old-man_005-lowres.jpg (53.4 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-24-2006, 12:28 PM

Here I go again. Hard to pass up images like these.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaCPlumlee1.jpg (70.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg aaaCPlumlee2.jpg (80.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-24-2006, 08:57 PM

He sure looks excellent! I just love these old faces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vieux_painted.jpg (99.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-24-2006, 08:59 PM

I couldn't resist "painting" the 2nd picture.
Sylvia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vieux2_painted.jpg (98.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-24-2006, 10:05 PM

I finally dare to post my first submission here.

Seizing the occasion I would like to thank you all for the great tutorials and things I've learned here!

Necati
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee1_nhp.jpg (96.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-25-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
Good one for Van Gogh treatment too.

Steve
Hey Steve, how did you get that look?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:53 PM

What a fun picture to work with, great work Kiska.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldmanedit.jpg (95.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-26-2006, 09:19 PM

Thanks old man

Great photo to play with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old-man.jpg (97.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:08 PM

What an interesting character.

I mostly did a selective cutout (only on the darker parts) after adjusting contrast/colors.

-Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jcholdman.jpg (27.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-27-2006, 06:39 AM

I'm getting too forgetful to remember specific posts and mention each name individually. I'm just going to say, "I'm so glad you are enjoying, creating, and working on Mr. Plumlee's snapshot. Great work everyone."

I haven't seen Mr. Plumlee lately. I guess I'm going to have to go check on him. He's 77 nowadays and lives without electricity or running water at a little place in the country. I hope he's ok.

Bye for now. Keep up the good work.

Janet
Old 04-28-2006, 11:39 AM

OK, now I see the image you were referring to.

On the Van Gogh treatment image I used Ikroll's Impressionist preset. Probably painted in some detail etc. also.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytreephoto
Hey Steve, how did you get that look?
Old 04-28-2006, 03:07 PM

thanks man
Old 08-30-2006, 04:35 AM

Been searching through some old threads and found this one. The interpritations already on here are amazing, I can see the fascination. Just couldn't leave this "old gadgie" alone.
Janet:- what great images you've captured here. Thanks for the upload, I really enjoyed this last night. (was at it for ages) Hope you like my smudge......John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee1[1]smudge.jpg (98.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 AM

Old thread...new interpretation.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa oldster Lu 5.jpg (96.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 AM

Just one more on a very nice image.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa Oldster lu 8.jpg (98.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 AM

Great Steve...lookin good....must have missed this thread when i was inSpain earlier in the year....

Great photo Janet of a man with lots of stories to tell and a great character...sad that our kids wont have as interesting adventures to tell...

Love all that has been done with the phto,,,you talented people...

Patricia....
Old 08-30-2006, 12:33 PM

Britsdad, great job smudging. When I first saw it, all I could say was WOW.

Steve, mind sharing the very interesting technique? And do you think the steps could be modified for photoshop?

Janet
Old 08-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Thankyou Janet, it's all down to the original pic you took. I'm trying a few things on the other images now, if I get anything worthwhile (take some doing to live up to the standard in this thread) I'll post it later......John
Old 08-30-2006, 02:34 PM

Not sure about this one, but I'll post it anyway. Done with Trimoons watercolour ahb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee3[3]2.jpg (98.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-30-2006, 03:07 PM

John....Just been having another look at this page and i must say your smudge is amazing...really well done... and i like your Trimoon painting too.....one good thing about dark nights and rainy days is more computer painting time....

Patricia...
Old 08-30-2006, 03:15 PM

My humble thanks Patricia I must admit though I like it too.
As for the dark and wet nights you're right. (and I've done my knee in, so no work for a few days aswell....shame ).......John
Old 08-30-2006, 03:47 PM

Oh GOD, these pics are addictive, Here's another ahb watercolour. Tried a black background for a change....John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee2[1]3.jpg (99.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 08-31-2006, 07:21 AM

Great photo, Janet.

Impressionist+Smudge+blendings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oldman01.jpg (97.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-31-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britsdad
(and I've done my knee in, so no work for a few days aswell....shame ).......John
Ahh noooo, not you too. From one gimp to another...here's hoping you return to 100% soon.

Janet
Old 08-31-2006, 02:25 PM

My technique, as on many of my images, was my Bible method. You know "seek and ye shall find."

There is some Buzz Pro in there someplace, some layering and blending, and maybe some Gertrudis Pro. I tried a lot of stuff to get what I wanted, so can't really tell you the steps. PS would have everything you would need if you have the plugins.

Thanks much for your interest.

Steve

Quote:

Steve, mind sharing the very interesting technique? And do you think the steps could be modified for photoshop?

Janet
Old 09-01-2006, 04:57 AM

Painter with final touches in Photoshop.
In my rendering he looks younger...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumleeF1.jpg (85.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-01-2006, 07:57 AM

John...another great image...smudge is still number 1 for me...

Alexmeta...like yours too...its a great photo to play with...

Pavel...Oh yes he looks younger...the magic of Photoshop!!!!

I did a sketch first in Photoshop CS2 and then using the art history water color brush...got this pastel effect...

Patricia....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee1-2.jpg (80.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-02-2006, 11:27 PM

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cPlumlee1-1-k-1.jpg (94.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-03-2006, 09:19 AM

Tried one more photo. Painter with some additional work in Photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakay
Pavel...Oh yes he looks younger...the magic of Photoshop!!!!
Patricia... What makes it magical is the basic fact that at being new to the game I usually end up with something totally unexpected... which makes the whole process more intersting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumleeF2.jpg (91.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by pavel123; 09-03-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:29 PM

Marvelous work on this gentle man. Thank you all folks.

Janet
Old 09-11-2006, 05:52 AM

Here is one of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldman_m.jpg (94.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM

nice photos. my try on one of them;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldman.jpg (99.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-17-2006, 11:10 PM

Here is mine done with Photoshop CS2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee1.2.jpg (90.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-18-2006, 01:28 AM

Whilst probably not particularly 'arty', this look sort of grabbed me with this photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee3.jpg (99.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-18-2006, 04:57 AM

Maybe Painter is starting to make a little sense to me after all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPlumlee1p copy.jpg (85.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-18-2006, 08:06 AM

all hello...
smudge + smat blur + etc....
my second image
potoshop CS2 + Mouse

have a good time!!

Mini Homepage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 노인.jpg (97.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-18-2006, 08:13 AM

very nicely done
Old 09-18-2006, 09:03 AM

hanwoo seo, (i think i have that right. your name isnt showing through on my browser. i think i may need a language pack for my browser), again, very nice effect.

craig
Old 09-25-2006, 02:05 PM

Re: Old Man

Did two versions of this 1st one just in PS 2nd in Getrudis then copied to PS and tweaked and some different blend modes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old man.jpg (99.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg man old.jpg (96.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 PM

Started in Photoshop, doing a watercolor, using an action...didn't care for the results. Ran the Impressionist plug in, then off to Painter 7, for the finish.

http://www.pbase.com/goldcoin/image/67542185/original
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3-MANIN-hAT-WEB650x803.jpg (94.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by GOLDCOIN; 09-27-2006 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Trouble with pix
Old 09-27-2006, 08:07 AM

very nice, goldcoin

could you post a 100k version here, for posterity? i know you lose a lot doing that, but we love having at least that much here on RP.

craig
Old 09-27-2006, 08:12 AM

Very nice Goldcoin, love the texture, I agree with Kraellin though, post a 100k one, it does get anoying when you're looking thru' links only to find they've been lost in the mist of time.
John
Old 09-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Patron

Nice post by all.

Seems I'm a bit late to the party. This has been quite a popular post and the fact that Janet has a way of articulating so well, makes it even more interesting.

Nice study Janet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OldMan-LQQKER.jpg (99.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-27-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKER
Nice post by all.

Seems I'm a bit late to the party.

Nice study Janet.
Technically you can not be late... and you absolutely can not be late with a rendering like yours.

Regards.
Pavel
Old 09-27-2006, 03:06 PM

Superb, LQQKER. This is second you've posted (that I've seen) with the redundant shadow in the background. I like it!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:07 PM

Just too many interesting things to do with this man's image.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa olster3.jpg (98.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-27-2006, 07:43 PM

WOW Wow Wow some really nice posts since I commented last.

I'm so impressed!!! Ya'll make me want to keep taking pictures and adding them here to artify. Keep up the great work.

Janet
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 PM

lqqker, i'm running out of superlatives. very lovely!

steve, another good sketch! what technique are you using for those?

craig
Old 09-27-2006, 09:19 PM

Reminds me of my own rough times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Double Find Edges Best Art FX copy.jpg (92.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-27-2006, 09:52 PM

nice, jimjam

craig
Old 09-28-2006, 12:20 AM

Thanks Kraellin,there have been a lot of very nice works created with this image.Good work everyone!

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art