RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Working Cowboys

Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Swampy great photo but what i like best is your explanation, very interesting a few of my friends and I didn't know that you get cowboys in Florida just sea sun and Disney land
We are better informed now and better educated ( we got the atlas out and studied it, love hearing about different lands and culture ) mind you we didnt know ( because of the winter olympics) that Australia had snow (yep you got it we just thought sun and sea

Palms

link to tutorial for any one interested http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-art-resources/12846-tutorial-link-amazing-circles-photoshop-another-fun-fad.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Working-Cowboys.jpg (86.8 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2006, 01:37 PM

Yes we really enjoy the horse farms around Ocala, even when traveling down I-75. Driving the back roads around there is even more beautiful.

Am very familiar with the Santa Gertrudis. Have your heard of the horse called the marshtackie? Was bread by the indians in early Florida for just such backwoods-type roundups as your photo shows.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Steve, that's pretty country up around Cross Creek, Ocala Forest, etc. I get a kick out of the folks from up north who are amazed at how much the Ocala "horse country" looks like areas of Kentucky.

BTW there is a breed of cattle called "Santa Gertrudis" that has been bred into the South Florida Cracker range cattle. The breed holds up well in the heat and humidity, grazes well on the scrub ranges. Using Gertrudis Pro was very approriate!!! LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2006, 01:40 PM

The first thing I thought was this could be an old photo too... So I thought I would make it worthy of being retouched in 50 years time!

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/2521/cowboy0uc.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2006, 09:59 PM

Wonderful picture - full of folk art. Had a quick go in Photoshop. Have really enjoyed all the great versions.
MargaretM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Working-Cowboys.jpg (98.2 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2006, 07:58 AM

PALMS... I saw yours and named it "Working Cowboys of the World" :-) Actually, Florida is the second largest cattle producing state in the USA (Texas being first). Although areas like Omaha get a lot of publicity about cattle, they are really the processing centers. After rounding up the cattle that will be sold at local markets, the cows are then shipped off to out of state "Feed Lots" where they bulk out buy just standing in big lots and being feed prior to slaughter. (Sorry PITA devotees, it's just a fact of life). Also, much of the beef produced on the vast scrub ranges of Florida is used for "Commercial" beef...hamburgers at Mac Donalds etc.

STEVE... I'm very familiar with the marshtackie ponies. I live about 20 miles from Brighton Seminole Reservation and they still ride the descendants of the early marshtackies to work their huge cattle ranch there. There is a wonderful web site that tells much of the history of the central Florida "Crackers" Crackers

BORN2RUN... Great job making that old photo! I've seen some like it at our local museum! It really does take this photo back in time.

MARGARETM... Great Crop! It really focuses in on the cowboys. And I especially like that you didn't crop the palmetto fronds in the foreground. In your perspective they really add depth of field.

Wonderful work, folks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2006, 08:09 AM

Guess were making this a Florida history lesson, but I can recommend to you a book called "A Time Remembered" that explains the early "Crackers" who settled in Florida and began rounding up strays in the mid 1800's. They would drive drove them to the coast and sell them for gold. A work of fiction but based very much on fact.

Steve

Quote:
STEVE... I'm very familiar with the marshtackie ponies. I live about 20 miles from Brighton Seminole Reservation and they still ride the descendants of the early marshtackies to work their huge cattle ranch there. There is a wonderful web site that tells much of the history of the central Florida "Crackers" Crackers

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2006, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info very interesting and another well i never about the info listed below. will impress my friends tomorrow with this knowledge,

Quote:
PALMS... I saw yours and named it "Working Cowboys of the World" :-) Actually, Florida is the second largest cattle producing state in the USA (Texas being first).
Palms

ps love all the different versions submitted
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2006, 04:53 PM

Oh STEVE... That was a GREAT book! :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art