RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Just playing; reverse painting.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Patron

Just playing; reverse painting.

Working on gradient transistions now. I used an image that I am borrowing from NancyJ here (image from Stock Exchange). I supersmooth the skin using Neatimage (this time I want the plastic skin). I sharpen as well with Neatimage. I then port whole thing in GIMP and do some color adjustments using DCSpecial's 1969 filter set to Value on a separate layer (do this trick a lot). I then flatten, duplicate and run Toadies Metalwork filter (this creates the gradient transistions that I'm looking for). I then flatten and save the result. I port it into PS, duplicate layer, and for some Impressionist work (used Danny's djroil24 preset again; I said this before, but this is my favorite preset by far). Now why do I call this a reverse painting? Well, I selectively erase areas of the Impressionist layer letting the base layer show through. Unpainting if you will.

Hope you all like this pastel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topless_orig.jpg (98.9 KB, 135 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 05:18 AM

Nice one, Ikroll, that worked perfectly.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo
Nice one, Ikroll, that worked perfectly.

Thanks Rô. The gradient transistions created by Toadies Metalwork filter really gives the piece a hand painted feel. I haven't shown examples yet, but it really helps illustrations to the max.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Ikroll, I like this a LOT. I haven't figured out what the metalworks filter has to do with the results, but I may download it and give this a try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2006, 04:02 PM

lk,

i'm not a huge (now, dont go saying i hate impressionists; i'm just not a HUGE fan is all) fan of impressionist type works, but this one is the exception. it LOOKS like a painting and not a digital rendition. great strokes of the brush, good colors, good contrasts, and you've caught the essence of the original image. very nicely done! i'd seriously consider having that sent out and mounted on canvas (with appropriate permissions granted, of course).

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
lk,

i'm not a huge (now, dont go saying i hate impressionists; i'm just not a HUGE fan is all) fan of impressionist type works, but this one is the exception. it LOOKS like a painting and not a digital rendition. great strokes of the brush, good colors, good contrasts, and you've caught the essence of the original image. very nicely done! i'd seriously consider having that sent out and mounted on canvas (with appropriate permissions granted, of course).

craig
Thanks Craig; I've recently revisited Toadies Metalworks filter again for watercolors as well (other forums). I really like this filter. Can't beat the price either. Toadies filters can be acquired by clicking this link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 11:59 AM

Craig, have you tried the Toadie plugins in PSP X? I have tried them in 9, but they will not load. They are listed in the "effects" list, but will not load, and I get an "error loading" message.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
lk,

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 PM

steve,

yes, i have the toadies installed. i have 21 of them. they all seem to work. make sure you have the file location item 'enable sub folders' checked and that your path to the folder is correct. i believe i had them installed as early as version 7 of psp, and i'm even more sure i had them in 9 and that they worked. if i remember correctly, there were two sets of .8bf's. i have both installed in a folder in my plugins directory under another folder, "Toadies2". so, my path is "Corel Paint Shop Pro X\Plugins\Toadies2" and then all the .8bf's in the last folder.

you might also check to see if your original download file size is right. i sometimes get bad download sizes and have to download again. it's rare, but it happens.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 02:18 PM

Craig, they are installed as you have yours and do show up in the effects/plugins listing, but will not run.

Will check file size and go from there.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2006, 01:15 AM

well, if they show up in Effects and you've got the sub folders enabled, then make sure you're using them on 8 bit rgb images. i dont know that they require that, but try it. some plugins wont work on things like cmyk, grayscale, selections and 'odd' things like that. and some plugins dont like overly large file sizes as well. i know the polaroid d&s has a very low limit of file sizes it will work on when you're using the plugin version.

craig
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art