RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Deep Paint Water Color

Old 03-18-2006, 08:06 AM

nancyj,

again, interesting. my monitor is set at 1024 x 768. that would account for some thngs here. i'm going to pump up the resolution and look again.

and yes, when i go back, it even looks snowy to me as well. lol. not what i was originally going for.

ok, well, this is good. i needed that feedback. oh, and i also went back and looked at the high pass overlay. i mistook what you first said there and thought you were talking about 'high pass sharpen'. there is also an 'effects\edge effects\high pass', which has an 'overlay', 'hard light' and 'soft light' mode to it. so, ok.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2006, 09:12 AM

Ah no, I mean make a highpass layer then set the blend mode to one of the overlays - adjust opacity to affect strength. I dont know what tools you have available in Paintshop Pro....
Anyway, dont take my critique too hard, you asked my opinion and I gave it - its purely my opinion (based on what I see on my moniter). This isnt like retouching where there are certain 'rules' and such to base a critique on. When its just down to likes and dislikes, everybody likes different things - its what makes the world go round.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2006, 11:44 AM

nancyj,

probably not the same tools. similar maybe, but not the same.

as for taking things too hard, i specifically asked you for the critique because i wanted a frank answer and i knew you would give it.

i have a friend who is a writer. when he asks folks to comment on his work, the tendency is 'oh, that's nice' and those sort of answers. when he asked me, i told him what i thought. he ended up doing a re-write for typos and a few plot 'errors'. and i ended up proof-reading it so, careful what you critique, you may end up being the editor

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2006, 07:25 PM

Would you talk a little ...

... about how you painted your version? I find your wcolours very persuasive. In the game of simulating the various media, watercolour seems to me the hardest to pull off. With the exception of Jaykita's (I don't see anything of her on the site lately; is she still around?) your skills with watercolour are the only ones I covet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2006, 07:40 PM

I ought to say as well ...

... what a nice piece of work Photomaster's image is. It does look like gouache, or a photolithograph of one of those cheery advertisements that art editors were so fond of in the forties. No reproach there: the image summons up a much lamented pictorial style now long vanished.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster
... about how you painted your version? I find your wcolours very persuasive. In the game of simulating the various media, watercolour seems to me the hardest to pull off. With the exception of Jaykita's (I don't see anything of her on the site lately; is she still around?) your skills with watercolour are the only ones I covet.
Hi, Oyster, who is this directed at?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
nancyj,

probably not the same tools. similar maybe, but not the same.

as for taking things too hard, i specifically asked you for the critique because i wanted a frank answer and i knew you would give it.

i have a friend who is a writer. when he asks folks to comment on his work, the tendency is 'oh, that's nice' and those sort of answers. when he asked me, i told him what i thought. he ended up doing a re-write for typos and a few plot 'errors'. and i ended up proof-reading it so, careful what you critique, you may end up being the editor

craig
Heh, thankfully artists dont need editors
I rarely give critiques on Photoart because I recognise the experimental nature of the medium. I'm very picky in my likes and dislikes, I'm very traditional and have certain expectations when I look at a piece. One of the things I dont like is for a piece to look obviously digital/photoshop filtered. Things like brush/pencil strokes all the same length and direction bug me, they're sloppy and half arsed. I know, I'm just uptight its a flaw I'm willing to admit.

Oh BTW, you're in trouble now Craig, I just got a new GFX card ooooh its so crisp!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 05:22 AM

Speaking of Watercolors

My original watercolor of "Berries" was done by careful coloning in Deep Paint. I set the original as the Cloning Source (right click on layer to set this) and then create a new layer. I then select the cloning tool in the tool box. On the upper right corner of the screen, in Cloning Options, select Disable Offset, Resume last Cloning, ARTISTIC and Hue. Select any tool or brush from the Presets, adjust the Brush Settings and go to work! You will not believe the magic that happens. Now here is the wisdom of the ages: By unchecking the Artistic box in Cloning Options you will have complete control over reversing or modifying any of your previous artistic strokes to any dergree you want (use a very light stroke with your pen.) By switching between these two settings you have unprecedented control over all of nearly all of the tools in Deep Paint. For even more fun try the Image Processing presets. What I have told you here is the best kept secret of Deep Paint and will give you artistic control you never dreamed of. So, check it out and thank me later. Remember Zoom in, name your layers and save often.

Continuing: The resulting Berries image had to much white area (sorry Nancy) so I followed-up with quite a bit of free-hand work using the eyedropper and various watercolor brushes. This was done on three separate layers so I could fix things I didn't like. Finally I switched to Photoshop to tweak the highlights on some of the berries.

Attached is an editing version of the painting done in Painter IX (Newly accquired so I am oblivous to most of its capabilities) that better represents the watercolor style. This one got so wet I had to use a hair dryer on my screen. Don't ask me how I did it because I'm still playing.

Nancy, Craig: I'm enjoying your spirited, yet frank and honest exchange.

Oyster: Thank you for your astute observations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BerriesWC-Ptrweb.jpg (97.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Photomaster; 03-19-2006 at 06:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 05:42 AM

Another Watercolor

I did this painting originally in Photoshop then opened it in Painter IX. Under Layers I selected Lift Canvas to Watercolor Layer then, Wet Entire Watercolor Layer. Then back to Photoshop where I overlayed the modified image over the original. Then I used the eraser, set at 50%, to remove some of the watercolor effect from the pheasant and the bear. What do you think? Does it meet the criteria for a watercolor?

My original painting is HERE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Getaway-DetailWC.jpg (97.8 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Oh BTW, you're in trouble now Craig, I just got a new GFX card ooooh its so crisp!
lol. god help me!

ok, i had another go at this. taking to heart some of nancy's and PM's remarks (and completely ignoring some as well ), i left the warmer tones in this time, hopefully reduced the snow effect, got rid of the sharpening, at least the traditional sharpening (thereby reducing the scan lines) and varied the water drops to give that effect a bit more depth. i also added a bit of motion blur to the water.

there is still one glaring flaw in this image (well, at least one), but i'm not worried about that for the time being.

and nancy, i know you're more of a traditionalist and that's also one reason i singled out asking your opinion. i'm not. i love digital. but i also know that 'art' has a very deep history and that when you roam too far from this history you risk losing your audience. i also know there are certain 'rules' to art. i also know i dont know all those rules. thus, your opinion is valued here. but i also love 'painting outside the lines' at times, exploring the unexplored and like you said, 'experimental' and in this, i would hope to shake up the traditional... just a bit. your critique was fair and frank. and i do realize there is good digital and not so good. so again, your opinion was/is valued.

and at the risk of barbing a few on here, one of the things that bugs me, like you're bugged by what you mentioned, whenever a new image is posted in the art area, you can count on at least one or two 'sketches', one or two 'impressionists', one or two 'impasto or smudges' and so on down the line. even the various scripts and actions are named things like 'van gogh' or 'da vinci'. now, i'm not bugged by the pieces themselves; the folks here are incredibly talented. i'm just a bit bugged by the predictability at times; the sort of attitude that the only art is traditional art, 'safe' art.

now, that's a horribly large generality and certainly not true in every case, but you can go through almost any of the threads here and find one or two of many of the traditional forms. and that's also a good thing. retouch is a learning site. i've done a few of the traditionals also. and there's nothing wrong with traditional, but i'd love to see more 'stretching of the wings', breaking the old boundaries, and so forth as well.... the 'experimental'.

that your art teacher happens to like white water colors is fine. it's a bit of a fixed idea on what a water color shld be, but that's fine, that's him. what does nancyj like? and if that is what you like, why ok, but i also know you mentioned wanting to be more 'fluid' or expressive and where i may not have captured your exact words there, i do recall the idea of it. to me, the 'rules' of art arent in the style, but in the technicality. or, like you said,
Quote:
Things like brush/pencil strokes all the same length and direction bug me, they're sloppy and half arsed.
and i mostly agree. there is 'sloppy' art. but i also know of at least one style where all the brush strokes are the same length and same direction and it's a valid style and often quite good.

ah well, seems we're back to the age old question again of 'what is art?'. it's a question worth answering.

"Ode

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,...

... For each age is a dream that is dying,
Or one that is coming to birth...."

Arthur O'Shaughnessy, 1874

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BerriesOrig-3-k-1b.jpg (96.7 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art