RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Deep Paint Water Color

Old 03-19-2006, 11:18 AM

Rain Drops on Berries

Craig, don't dropplets of water form a sphere as they fall?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 12:10 PM

I cannot tell a lie, I digitally arted the cherry tree.

George (AKA Steve)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cherry3.jpg (98.5 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 12:17 PM

Nancy, Photomaster

Nancy, yours is the watercolour technique I admire. I'd very much like to read more on your procedures.

Photomaster, I too have spent a lot of time with Deep Paint, and have discovered what you have so fully described (Your post ought to have a "sticky" label slapped on it and placed in the *Tutorials* forum. It would be very helpful for those trying to use the app.) What I can't figure out is the relationship of the "Clone" tab in the upper left of the workspace, and the "Paint" tab right next to it. The instructions get you cloning under "Paint" exactly as you have stated; but what's the use of the "Clone" tab with its specially-loaded brushes? You can set out to clone more quickly under the "Clone" tab, to be sure, but the brushes generate an image more like the photo than a painting. If you want painterly strokes, you have to go to the "Paint" tab and tick "artistic", just as if you had begun under this tab. I suspect there's a feature or two under the "Clone" tab that I can't winkle out, but the instructions are no help. Have you uncovered any secrets hidden under the "Clone" tab?
Oyster
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
ok, i had another go at this. taking to heart some of nancy's and PM's remarks (and completely ignoring some as well ), i left the warmer tones in this time, hopefully reduced the snow effect, got rid of the sharpening, at least the traditional sharpening (thereby reducing the scan lines) and varied the water drops to give that effect a bit more depth. i also added a bit of motion blur to the water.
Craig, I love it. Its beautiful, its like the first rain of spring bit from Bambi and christmas morning all rolled into one There are a few scanlines in the darker tones but they're hardly noticeable.

Quote:
and at the risk of barbing a few on here, one of the things that bugs me, like you're bugged by what you mentioned, whenever a new image is posted in the art area, you can count on at least one or two 'sketches', one or two 'impressionists', one or two 'impasto or smudges' and so on down the line. even the various scripts and actions are named things like 'van gogh' or 'da vinci'. now, i'm not bugged by the pieces themselves; the folks here are incredibly talented. i'm just a bit bugged by the predictability at times; the sort of attitude that the only art is traditional art, 'safe' art.
I'm probably one of the guilty ones there WHat I dislike more, it those that produce the same picture over and over, as talented as they may be and as stunning as the end result, there is a certain predictability about some peoples work, while theres nothing wrong with having a style you're good at and sticking to it, it seems to me theres little need to share it, you've already demonstrated your ability to reproduce x effect.

Quote:
that your art teacher happens to like white water colors is fine. it's a bit of a fixed idea on what a water color shld be, but that's fine, that's him. what does nancyj like? and if that is what you like, why ok, but i also know you mentioned wanting to be more 'fluid' or expressive and where i may not have captured your exact words there, i do recall the idea of it. to me, the 'rules' of art arent in the style, but in the technicality. or, like you said, and i mostly agree. there is 'sloppy' art. but i also know of at least one style where all the brush strokes are the same length and same direction and it's a valid style and often quite good.
At school I rarely did as I was told or what I was supposed to and I always had her saying 'how did you do that?' Well I just picked up the paint/pencils and just did it. Its the way I am. But I think at school you're supposed to follow the rules, they teach you that you have to know the rules first in order to break them. A lot of abstract and expressionists can give the impression that they cant paint, if you want to go down that route and be respected as an artist you generally have to first prove that you can draw and paint and that its a stylistic choice rather than a lack of ability.
One of my favorite exam pieces was a silkscreen painting, because I never listened or paid attention I just did what seemed to make sense to me and totally confounded my teacher. With silkscreen we were supposed to draw the outline in some stuff, I think it was called gutta or something like that, anyway then you were supposed to fill in the shapes with blocks of colour using the silk paints. Ofcourse, I didnt know that, I drew the outline then painted it like a watercolour, mixing the paint on the silk and building up layers of colour and shades, it was a very special piece. I guess sometimes not know the rules can be an advantage
Quote:
ah well, seems we're back to the age old question again of 'what is art?'. it's a question worth answering.
The age old question, I dont think there is an answer. A more poignant question, I tihnk, is what is photo-based art? Where do we draw the line between photo-manip, retoucing and photo art?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 12:40 PM

Just to say i have found the chat between you Nancy and Craig quite interesting and informative
Isnt healthy debating a art form in itself ?

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1
Just to say i have found the chat between you Nancy and Craig quite interesting and informative
Isnt healthy debating a art form in itself ?

Palms
It is a rare and precious thing online. A healthy debate that hasnt degraded into using any of the words "fag, ghey or nazi"
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 01:58 PM

This Deep Paint program is fun, here's a version done with the Round Oil Cloner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BerriesArt2.jpg (96.5 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomaster
Craig, don't dropplets of water form a sphere as they fall?
PM, at this point, i dont care if they're square but, as i used to tell others, go out and look

nancy,

Quote:
Craig, I love it. Its beautiful,
thank you thank you for the compliment and thank you for pushing me to it. and thank you for being honest. i value these things.

Quote:
At school I rarely did as I was told or what I was supposed to and I always had her saying 'how did you do that?
hehehe, this surprises me not at all. it's the true artists, the good ones, who refuse to always paint within the lines, and normally who could teach the teachers a thing or two and i love hearing bits like this about people here. the silk screen one also

and palms,

i view this whole process between nancy and i more of a coming together of views. i'm wildly undisciplined, overly casual, unschooled and often times downright lazy. nancy strikes me as more of a traiditional style, much more disciplined and having more form and structure. this process, for me, has been more of a trying to see another view, another way, nancy's way, while at the same time conveying something about my way that maybe she could grab onto or had possibly even given up partitially and might want to revisit. so, to me, it's more about breaking our own little boundaries, just a smidgen, and looking at something outside of that. i've learned from nancy here and that's not always easy for me

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster
I suspect there's a feature or two under the "Clone" tab that I can't winkle out, but the instructions are no help. Have you uncovered any secrets hidden under the "Clone" tab?
Oyster
Check out my Deep Paint Tutorial on this site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 08:49 PM

I downloaded this program from the site you all listed but after I put it into ps I just had a face the said retriving and send - nothing about doing anything with it.
help needed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art