RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Help with a technique in Paint Shop Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Help with a technique in Paint Shop Pro

Can anyone give me a hint as to how this can be done in Paint Shop Pro?

When it was posted the person who submitted it used PS which I don't use. Sure do like the effect and if I can come close in PSP would be very happy.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jakejoeyPhyllis Stewart technique.jpg (98.1 KB, 110 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 AM
Swampy's Avatar
Swampy Swampy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Swamps of Florida
Posts: 4,418
To get that effect, I would first Posterize the image then take it into Adobe Illustrator CS2 and trace it. I might come up with something very similar.
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 03-28-2006, 11:25 PM
bart_hickman's Avatar
bart_hickman bart_hickman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
Can anyone give me a hint as to how this can be done in Paint Shop Pro?

When it was posted the person who submitted it used PS which I don't use. Sure do like the effect and if I can come close in PSP would be very happy.

Steve
That's the cutout filter in Photoshop--they probably did some sharpening and saturation as well.

In Paintshop Pro, the closest I can come up with is:

1. Boost the colors however you like--boost saturation, use a strong-setting on the clarify filter, etc... I did both on the attatchments.
2. Gaussian blur radius 8.
3. Posterize 8 levels (the number of levels is again a taste choice)
4. Unsharp mask with a largish radius and strength (I used radius 8 and strength 250). I also checked the luminance only box, but this is, as with everything abstract, taste dependent.
5. Applied a curve to adjust brightness to (you guessed it) taste.

The photoshop cutout process was nearly the same except the cutout filter is used instead of steps 2 and 3 above. The problem (if you can call it that) with the Paintshop Pro recipe is the color contours are curvy whereas the Photoshop cutout filter (which is our goal) makes angular contours. You need to find a filter that angularizes the color contour--I tried straw wall (3rd attachment). It's not right, but I attach it for illustration purposes.

(Of course you can use the above recipe in Photoshop to get the curvy contours.)

The attachments are (in summary):
1. Photoshop cutout
2. Paintshop blur/posterize
3. Paintshop blur/straw wall/posterize

The 100k file size limit is taking a toll on the quality of the results--they look better at my end.

Bart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cutout_giraffe_ps.jpg (94.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg cutout_giraffe_psp.jpg (96.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg cutout_giraffe_psp_straw.jpg (94.9 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by bart_hickman; 03-28-2006 at 11:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 03-29-2006, 05:03 AM
Cassidy Cassidy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,104
This is how I achieved this in Photoshop CS2

1. Filter Poster Edges
2. Filter Cutout

Unfortunately I am not familiar how you translate into Paintshop Pro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0899 copy.jpg (59.1 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 03-29-2006, 09:59 AM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Thanks Swampy. Unfortunately I work only with PSP and Gertrudis Pro and various plugins. I also have Corel Painter Essentials 3, but use it rarely.

Thanks.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
To get that effect, I would first Posterize the image then take it into Adobe Illustrator CS2 and trace it. I might come up with something very similar.
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 03-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Thanks Cassidy. I have these two filters as plugins in PSP.

Can you give me the filter settings you used on your image? Should be a good starting point for adjusting to the images I use them on.

I tried the default settings on an image and came very close to the effect in the image I attached. The one you sent looks like what I am trying for.

Steve


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy
This is how I achieved this in Photoshop CS2

1. Filter Poster Edges
2. Filter Cutout

Unfortunately I am not familiar how you translate into Paintshop Pro
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 03-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Bart, the first one is pretty close.

I am going to get busy and try the PSP technique you sent. Fortunately, I do have the Photoshop cutout filter, (a plugin in PSP), so will be able to make use of that also.

I hear you re. file size. Filters etc. can run the size up in a hurry.

Thanks much for the good info.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart_hickman
That's the cutout filter in Photoshop--they probably did some sharpening and saturation as well.

In Paintshop Pro, the closest I can come up with is:

1. Boost the colors however you like--boost saturation, use a strong-setting on the clarify filter, etc... I did both on the attatchments.
2. Gaussian blur radius 8.
3. Posterize 8 levels (the number of levels is again a taste choice)
4. Unsharp mask with a largish radius and strength (I used radius 8 and strength 250). I also checked the luminance only box, but this is, as with everything abstract, taste dependent.
5. Applied a curve to adjust brightness to (you guessed it) taste.

The photoshop cutout process was nearly the same except the cutout filter is used instead of steps 2 and 3 above. The problem (if you can call it that) with the Paintshop Pro recipe is the color contours are curvy whereas the Photoshop cutout filter (which is our goal) makes angular contours. You need to find a filter that angularizes the color contour--I tried straw wall (3rd attachment). It's not right, but I attach it for illustration purposes.

(Of course you can use the above recipe in Photoshop to get the curvy contours.)

The attachments are (in summary):
1. Photoshop cutout
2. Paintshop blur/posterize
3. Paintshop blur/straw wall/posterize

The 100k file size limit is taking a toll on the quality of the results--they look better at my end.

Bart
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 03-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Milan, Italy
Posts: 2,325
Blog Entries: 3
Hi everybody!

Wow .... really great works here!!!

Hope you don't mind .... I'm moving this Thread to the Photo-Based Art Forum ... I'm sure it'll get even more attention there...
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 03-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Cassidy, took your suggestion and came up with this. Pretty close to the cat image.

Tried it on several images and got the results I am looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ManSide Orig.jpg (98.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ManSide 2.jpg (84.5 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 03-29-2006, 01:26 PM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Bart, I tried your method in PSP and it worked to a degree, but did need the Photoshop cutout filter. So using only the cutout and the poster edges filter, (Cassidy's suggestion), both of which I have, was the answer.

Your method gave me some ideas for other effects using these steps. For which I thank you.

Steve
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paint Shop Pro vs Photoshop albatrosss Software 38 08-15-2007 02:28 PM
Paint With Light for Paint Shop Pro bart_hickman Photo Retouching 5 01-17-2006 01:35 AM
Paint Shop Pro 9 Craig Walters Software 17 08-10-2005 05:28 PM
Perfect Paint Shop Pro Backdrops.... Sibyllea Photo Retouching 8 02-22-2003 12:43 PM
Paint Shop Pro PSP - Photo Art Tutorials DannyRaphael Photo-Based Art 1 08-09-2002 06:39 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved