RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Red Flower...

Old 04-01-2006, 12:48 PM

Nancy the white bits in the picture is from the brush it leaves little white dots which i presume is meant to be either the pastel or texture part of the brush, if you go over the "brush marks" again you loose the dots but it makes a heavier look, i tried the brush out as it was a bit different i am 50/50 as to wether i like it but will carry on experimenting with this one and others.
How i sort of get round the thunbnail problem is to open reply in another window and also the picture if i want to look at it then toggle between them all
! ! ! ! !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Patron

Crochet.

Used my Thread preset (not Thread2) for Impressionist to create this effect. I did do some preprocessing using Amphisoft's Xylograph LE on a separate layer set to Dodge. Attached is a lower quality crop; here's the complete rendering (over 340K).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0001_crop.JPG (99.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I like all of these, but I relly love yours, Margaret!
jch71566 - thanks so much. Wonderful variations, as always.
MargaretM
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2006, 01:37 PM

some excellent renditions here!

had a go also. this uses a new filter which i requested from the code guys. Stroker wrote the base model. i extended its function just a bit with the help of Ro, Cameraken and Stroker. yeah, it takes 3 people to help me when i need help this was written with Filtermeister, the plugin maker. great little program if you guys want to check it out.

i call this filter '32 band gray', or 'Gray map' (similar to 'hue map' in psp), or 'Stroker's gray bands'...whatever you like

basically, what the plugin does is convert any image to grays, not grayscale, but just desatured colors. and then you can manipulate ranges of grays using sliders. Stroker wrote this with 6 bands. my contribution, besides the original idea, was to simply add more bands/ranges based on Stroker's work. so, it's sort of like a gray 'curves', only without each range being tied to the others. you can manipulate one range without it affecting another.

ok, had to explain that so you'd know how i got what i got. using this new filter, i altered the bands in a staggered manner, the odd ranges being moved up, while the even ranges i moved down a bit. this gave a very variegated looking grays image. this was on a separate layer which i then added the blend mode of 'dodge' to, giving the final image.

if you guys are interested, go to the software forum, the 'filtermeister' thread and you can see the discussion on this on page 3 and 4 so far. Stroker's base code is listed there. i havent posted my version of it yet as i still want to refine a few things. you have to have Filtermeister installed to use this, currently. if i get decent at writing these things, i may register it so i can convert the filtermeister code to a normal plugin .8bf type.

i also had to cut the size of this image down as it was taking some pretty big compression to get it to post here. so the final is only 640 x 480.

this is pretty cool stuff, folks. why be limited by other folk's plugins/code? make your own!

craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0001-1-k-1.jpg (94.2 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 01:38 AM

Hibiscus Painting

Wonderful interpretations on this one everybody. I enjoyed working on this beautiful flower. My painting turned out quite dramatic and I am pleased with the results. I color adjusted and masked in Photoshop, went to Painter and freehanded the flower. Back to PS for text and adjustments.

Click HERE to view painting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 07:11 AM

Hello..

Ikroll.... Stitching..very nice, could gather all my hibiscus photos and maybe you could design a colorful rug???

Craig... fun to do your own filter, thanks for the explanation. Your hibiscus looks like fabric, maybe you call it material in your part of the world. I think it could be used for clothes or furnishings...i like it..

Photomaster....
I am also really pleased with your result from my photo..the painting on the flower is 1st class and the black background makes the flower and text stand out beautifully.....

Thanks to all of you, I am impressed by all your varied interpretations.
Kind regards Patriciakay.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2006, 11:21 PM

patricia,

thank you

i like yours as well. almost looks like fire, which is quite a trick to get from a flower.

and yes, making the filter was fun. Stroker, byRo, and Cameraken helped me along, with Stroker writing the initial code and Ro and Ken guiding me along when i'd get stuck. it's now finished, by the way and posted over in the software forum. i originally wanted this for retouching difficult black and white images, but i'm finding quite a nice use in photo art as well. give it a try.... it's free

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 07:51 AM

Craig,

Glad you like mine too...going to try your filter and see what i can do..isnt it great to have so many talented people to help you???? Free sounds good to me...

Patricia.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art