RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Poppies...

Old 04-04-2006, 04:29 PM

Thanks, Craig. I don't know, maybe I can master this "artsy" stuff, but it is such a struggle for me. I have no background in art and have to guess about lighting and shadows and perspective sometimes. I really envy those who grew up with a paint brush in their hand.

I did debate about adding a drop shadow. I normally don't to a project like this, but for this subject it seemed to be okay.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin

lk, your poppies really pop. very nice...

craig
Glad you liked this one Craig. I used the glow method that I outlined on this thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 08:44 AM

Swampy,
Lovely picture....well after reading your comments in your post, i have to say i am surprised as i have seen a few of your digital art pictures and i thought you were a pro....I am just learning and there is so much...doing layers at the moment....with the help of tutorials....

Patricia kay
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 09:35 AM

Patricia Kay,

If the definition of "Pro" is that you get paid for your work, then yes I am, but 99% of the work I do is prepress color correction, cropping, sharpening etc. and preparing files for magazine quality printing. Sometimes I get to manipulate (cut out backgrounds to highlight a product for advertising purposes).

Creating artsy versions of a photo is seldom called for in my work flow so I do enjoy the challenges here to "make it look like a painting". That being said, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler and graph paper, but the computer lets me hold down the shift key... LOL

Light and shadow situations as well as perspective are difficult aspects to master. In this regard, Bert Monnroy is my hero. If you've ever seen him on TV or seen his book(s) you know these things come naturally to him and that his foundation was in fine art. That he has mastered the translation between brush and Wacom and it is amazing to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2006, 01:00 PM

poppies

Swampy,
Thanks for your reply....i have no artistic training whatsoever...but have always done craft work...sewing etc...In 1992 i became stepmother to 4 girls..ageing from 3 to 8...so i started painting and drawing with them..i continued and they grew into other things...then i got a computer and played around with plugins etc....next came the digital camera...lots of photos..learning how to enhance them etc and now i am progressing to painting in Painter,photoshop and Deep paint...i love colors,flowers and seashells...its truly addictive and a never ending learning curve...but its fun and i enjoy learning new things every day from the members of the forum...i did actually think the artwork was your job....

Patriciakay
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2006, 05:23 AM

poppies

Hi,
Had a little play around with filters...no painting involved..

PatriciaKay
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art