RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

golden retriever smudge - how'd i do

Old 06-29-2006, 02:52 PM

golden retriever smudge - how'd i do

so far, i've smudged a couple of flowers which were just okay -- this is my first attempt at a dog. how'd i do?

this was done for a friend of mine -- she has an LCD screen and on it, she said the smudge looks very blurry -- but on my screen it looks okay -- is it her screen?

i've attached the original and my "smudge" version -- feel free to play with the original -- i'd love to see what others can do with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puck100orig.jpg (97.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg puck100.jpg (95.4 KB, 144 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2006, 08:31 PM

Yea I like your interpritation, and I think a smudge is supposed to be slightly blurred, to me that's the idea, isn't it? Here's my humble effort (yea, it's my first try with anything other than flowers) hope you like it....John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dog.jpg (99.8 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Patron

The GREYCstoration solution.

So easy; 90% filter (this case was over 96% filter; furry animals really lend themselves to this technique). Here's and outline.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puck100orig.jpg (99.7 KB, 82 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 03:28 AM

britsdad, that is awesome for your first animal smudge -- keep up the great work! how did you get that so perfect?

ikroll -- another great version! and i have read the link you posted and will give that a try.

i will be going back to the drawing board after seeing your versions -- i need a lot more work without a doubt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 03:38 AM

JohnnieB and Britsdad you have done really well with your first "animal smudge" Although i will say that this photo wasnt that good for a smudge and that makes a lot of difference normally i would of give up on it but i kept on have done one soft/smear smudge and one with a bit more definition with a different crop not to be artistic but to cut down on all the smudging of the background
Ikroll your technique is coming on great although a bit involved for me

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puck100orig.jpg (93.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg puck100orig1.jpg (91.6 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 04:11 AM

johnnieB....Glad you like it, as for being "perfect" I don't know about that, take a look at this http://www.innographx.com/forum/view...28ce2bcdb91ea4 and this http://www.innographx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3870 There's some awsome images on that and lots of tips and brush downloads for you to play with.
palms1....thanks, coming from you that is a real compliment, and I agree with your point of it not being the ideal photo for a smudge.....John
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 04:25 AM

palms1, thanks so much for the response and your nice nice comments as i value your input and opinion. i really like your two versions alot.

britsdad, okay maybe not "perfect" but really, really good -- i am going to save those links for future reference -- maybe in a year or two i'll have just some of the talent shown in those images -- they are terrific.

as far as good "smuding" images -- what types of images tend to be better -- obviously flowers are good -- how do you determine this? i don't have a clue
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 07:11 AM

JohnnieB
In my opinion it is not the subject but the compositon ( big word for me) look at Northernshadows post here to see what i mean
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...2&page=1&pp=15
the subject should be the main part of the photo.
also good colour as smudging dulls it and needs correcting after as well as before
not to much detail ( like the leaves on your photo although they could be masked out )
Also i found the sharpening blocks ( learnt that here as well ) where hard to over come, is it a scan ?
Another subject that i like to smudge and see smudged is water ( either a waterfall, beach etc prefably water that is moving !)
Britsdad
you are right Alan's work is brilliant and Phyllis's but you have missed out Scott Deardoff have a look for his work he also has a few tutorials. I wish i could be anyway near as good as they but i couldnt spend hours doing one smudge i would get bored and give up
Here is a link to a tutorial/ forum post that i found recently that is very good for begginners but you can always pick up tips, have a look sooner rather than later
http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=74448
Sorry to have written so much hopefully i havent bored you
Happy Smudging

Palms

P.s. There are a few brushes recommended try them all and see which ones work for you, i got on a lot better once i had worked that out
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Patron

Fantastic smudge Palms.

Haven't quite figured the best way to get the wavy smudge; maybe if I play with EyeCandy, I can add that to the procedure. Anyway, though the steps seem involved, they really are not that hard. The longest step is the GREYCstoration (since my computer is so so slow; this one took around 5 minutes; bigger ones can take longer {took over 25 minutes on one recently; could definitely smudge faster. lol}). I'll keep play, but at least I can enter into the smudge arena now (you all know I try to get the computer to do all the work and hope that art comes as a result).

For the purest, the simulation technique can be used as a backbone for a better smudge. Work smarter not hard is my motto. You still are not going to beat a true hand painted/smudged rendering, but why not get a little help from the tools available to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2006, 01:16 PM

Thank you Ikroll
i do like your technique and think you are getting some excellent results

Palms

ps not into all the hard work myself, i do look for easier ways although maybe they are not as satisfing
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art