Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Long boats i think

Old 07-06-2006, 08:46 PM
Patron

Just a hint of Van Gogh.

Swirls thanks to GREYCstoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stratford.jpg (98.9 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Long boats i think
Actually they're known as Narrowboats. Their width is constrained by the width of the locks they have to pass through, on the canals for which they were designed to operate.

Nice picture, like almost everyone's renditions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 03:26 AM

Patricia nice water colour and Ikroll great again , Thank you Barbara i will have to doulble check the steps of "effie" but it is basically just usm and aniso
Gary Thank you Narrowboats that was what i was lookin for but wouldnt come to mind although we also call them barges, canal boats & long boats
Coming from Birmingham i should of got it right as we have more canal's than Venice

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 08:31 AM

I'd just been watching a program on Satellite about canals, so it seemed serendipitous that a few minutes later I saw your picture.

They mentioned the fact about Birmingham having more canals than Venice as well.

Seems strange that Birmingham should have so many canals, but then its in a pretty central location, tied to pottery, engineering and a whole lot of other industries, so I don't suppose we should be so surprised.

As Patricia has already said, we tend to call them barges in Leeds, but the programme insisted the correct term is Narrowboat, so I defer to their greater knowledge.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 09:26 AM

Barbara, I am certainly open to suggestions here.

I have not seen a step-by-step break-down of Effie, so that would have to be my first priority. Then find out from another PSP user what they have substituted for some of the PS filters...ansiotropic for instance...in PSP.

Not a number one priority, but sometimes effects are just really different and outstanding. And you want to add them to your graphics software. There seem to be shelves of PS books for all kinds of image manipulation, but although I still am happy with PSP, I am really frustrated when I see these great tutorials and actions for PS posted here and can't use them.

Can you tell me which version of PS first started using actions? It is far above my hobby budget to pay for the newest version of PS.

I have a few Photoshop filters which work well in both PSP and PS, but not the diffuse filter that contains ansiotropic.

And thanks much for your nice words.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara
palms, very nice rendition

maybe you can write the steps ?
(almost there are many possible ways to achieve an effect, so I believe, it is possible
to do in PSP and Gimp something "near" )

Steve - as usual very nice
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 01:47 PM

hmm, i have access to ps from time to time, but when i checked recently, i couldnt even find anisotropic. where is it? if i can look at it separately in ps, maybe i can come up with something comparable in psp.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 03:12 PM

Craig, it's the diffuse filter. One of the tic choices in that filter is good ole anisotropic. It's under the "stylize" group of filters.

It says quote, "Anisotropic mode shuffles pixels toward the areas of least color change."????

Good luck.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
hmm, i have access to ps from time to time, but when i checked recently, i couldnt even find anisotropic. where is it? if i can look at it separately in ps, maybe i can come up with something comparable in psp.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 05:22 PM

Steve....I found a tutorial for PSP to do anisotropic....hope it will be helpful for you....

http://www.innographx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4458

Patricia....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
Barbara,
Can you tell me which version of PS first started using actions? It is far above my hobby budget to pay for the newest version of PS.

Steve
I don't have PS, I never used it
I have choosen Gimp.
I hope Palms says us more about Effie Basic steps and default values used in this
action.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Patron

I use GIMP too.

Hey Barbara,

I use the Windows version of GIMP which allows many of the PS plugins to work in it. For Aniso, you can either try the Warp Sharp Script-fu (does a very good job), or download Xero's Supersmooth filter (even better job). Toadies Metalwork filter when applied through Opacity adjustments can also give you the Aniso effect. If you are more adventurous, you can do a bitmap to vector conversion using Autotrace and reconvert back to bitmap (my old trick; not enough control though and can require a lot of cleaning).

Additionally, though not free, you can use Flaming Pear's Mr. Contrast in creative ways to get the Aniso effect. So many ways to skin a cat.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art