RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Weekend pictures

Old 08-28-2006, 12:49 PM

Thank you, pavel :)

For the photos, and for the tip to the tutorial. I had a good play around with the tutorial.

I looked at both the wind surfers and the ship sailing, then opted to stay with the ship.

I cropped the sky down and applied what I had learned from the mentioned tutorial. Used the 'dark strokes' filter in CS2 and added a slight drop shadow framewise.

Then I looked at it again, not sure what I really wanted to see. I've just installed the OptikVerve Virtual Photographer plug in and selected 'ambience'. I like the effect it has on the arms on the masts against the skyline.

I think I wanted an 'oldish' look without reverting to monochrome/sepia effetcs.

Anyways, here they are and thanks again for the pics

leanan`si
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pavel02.jpg (98.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg pzvel-ambience02.jpg (98.8 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 02:18 PM

I played around with flaming pear's kyoto colour ( recommended by someone on another forum ) lighting effects and a emboss edge layer

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020411copy.jpg (90.5 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 02:25 PM

Batten down the hatches, there's a storm a brewin'.

Used a duplicate file to run a chalk & charcoal filter. Brought that result back into the original and set the blend mode to Exclusion. Added a drak blueish gray color fill layer above with a gradient on it's mask to set the blustery mood.

The chalk & charcoal filter added the diagonal "rain" streaks as part of its process which really gives that stormy feel. The white halos around the mast and rigging tend to give a feeling of ice build up so I left it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swampys-snow-on-boat.jpg (48.9 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 02:30 PM

Stunning, Palms!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 03:13 PM

Pavel...Like your two sketchy pics....looks good on the boats..

Steve....Question is...who is the sneaky one?...You have to show and tell...i did!

Craig....Nice one...Looks like its painted on glass....You are doing great with your filter forge filters...

Lean `si....Two nice ones...like the first best as i feel it has more depth...

Palms....Like the colors,lighting and the emboss...all worked really well together...

Swampy....Its a great stormy pic...made me shiver a little...thinking our summer is just about over!!!!

Patricia....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 05:21 PM

So many nice renderings here. Everything looks great.

Palms: How does your emboss layer works? Do you make a sketch and run it through emboss filter?

Lean: you are welcome. The tutorial does look good, but for more complex cases one has to do more... A combination of grey sky, grey water and a few colors in between is not very promising... I posted an image from the same series there I tried to sneak in some blue color. I don't think I like the result.
An easy solution is to wait for sun before taking pictures.

Pavel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saling.jpg (84.8 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 06:06 PM

some very nice works here! love the sketches. palms, very nicely done! love both of yours, patricia, especially the double frame. pavel, nice. how you liking impressionist? steve, that first one looks metalic...interesting. second one is good too! nice, margaret! so much talent around here. leanan, a bit bright in the sky, but nice. dee dee, i can feel the spray. might have been fun to put some water on the outer frame

you guys are good!

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 08:47 PM

I love the pictures. And I loved playing with the one I've had time to do so far.
Thank you for sharing them.

This didn't turn out quite like I'd envisioned it. That is a combination of my fault (80%) and the low resolution (20%). Anyhoo, here tis.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTP-Weekend-copy.jpg (88.1 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Patron

Used TBO to open up the shadows and enhance ...

...the colors giving similar results as your shortcut showed (just faster and easier for me; still required tweaking (copied the original on top set to lighten and adjusted opacity to name a few). TBO, by the way, stands for Tachyon, Blur Overlay. I duplicate the layer, run an Invert Light (Tachyon) Script-fu which actually creates an addition copy of the base layer. I Gausean Blur the Top layer and adjust opacity to taste (this step enhances the Sat/Color as well as open shadow details, but it also lowers lighter colors). I then merge down and copy the base layer to the top set to Lighten and adjust opacity to taste before flattening. I then do my vector simplification/bumpmap routine for the acrylic like result. I've attached a slightly lower quality cropped version; here's the complete rendering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020478_crop.jpg (97.7 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-29-2006, 07:53 AM

Still kickin' my new helper around, so to speak, and am looking for something to really show it off.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakay
Steve....Question is...who is the sneaky one?...You have to show and tell...i did!

Patricia....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art