RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Tiger_Steve's Avatar
Tiger_Steve Tiger_Steve is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hull, East Yorkshire - UK
Posts: 19
Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

This may be old hat, but I just found the Sketch plug-in on the Akvis site. I'm very impressed with it and wondered what others think and if you have examples of what you've achieved using it. Here is my first attempt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack ColSketch.jpg (98.6 KB, 93 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 01-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Tiger_Steve's Avatar
Tiger_Steve Tiger_Steve is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hull, East Yorkshire - UK
Posts: 19
Re: Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

...and here is number two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Corfu ColSketch.jpg (97.0 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 01-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Re: Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

Good plugin!

Here's another example.

Steve C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa man in hat aks2.jpg (99.4 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 01-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Craig Walters's Avatar
Craig Walters Craig Walters is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 8,786
Blog Entries: 4
Re: Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

nice job, steve. good job, steve.

ok, that isnt going to work very well. so, i guess tiger steve is now tiger

i like the guy with guitar sketch, tiger.
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 01-14-2007, 02:04 PM
DannyRaphael's Avatar
DannyRaphael DannyRaphael is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA
Posts: 6,300
Re: Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

Thanks for sharing your handiwork, Steve. I too was impressed.

See the following thread for more info (and the link to thee pBase gallery for some examples):
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...-examples.html

I prefer to use Akvis Sketch to render "non-color" output and add color later via separate layers.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Re: Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
I prefer to use Akvis Sketch to render "non-color" output and add color later via separate layers.

~Danny~
Hi Danny.

I have found that on "busy"-(i.e. lots of detail)-images, that if you add the color after processing that it will eliminate a lot of unwanted crosshatching. Then I either leave it with a bit of color if I like it that way, or convert to B & W.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Re: Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin
nice job, steve. good job, steve.

ok, that isnt going to work very well. so, i guess tiger steve is now tiger

i like the guy with guitar sketch, tiger.
Hello Craig, Steve C. here.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 01-15-2007, 10:26 AM
DannyRaphael's Avatar
DannyRaphael DannyRaphael is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA
Posts: 6,300
Re: Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
Hi Danny.

I have found that on "busy"-(i.e. lots of detail)-images, that if you add the color after processing that it will eliminate a lot of unwanted crosshatching. Then I either leave it with a bit of color if I like it that way, or convert to B & W.

Steve C.
Good point Steve (not Tiger ). I should have been more specific.

One way to restore color is to make a copy of the original, unmodified layer, change its blend mode to "Color," and then move it above the Akvis layer. This retains the Akvis detail, plus makes it easy to lower opacity for a more subtle color effect, mess with Hue/Saturation on the color layer for bolder colors or to apply an overall tone for, say, a sepia look.

Another way is to add one or more layers above the Akvis layer, set the blend mode to Color and manually paint whatever colors anywhere you like.

Doing color manipulation outside of the plugin, to me, is faster and easier -- especially on high resolution images that take Sketch a long time to render on my sometimes painfully slow computer.

~Danny~
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 01-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Tiger_Steve's Avatar
Tiger_Steve Tiger_Steve is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hull, East Yorkshire - UK
Posts: 19
Re: Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

Thanks guys.

Danny, I used your colour suggestion after reading your review before I decided to download the demo. It works a treat.

I thought it was just my computer that was slow, but maybe not. Even though my spec is okay (AMD 3200+, 1024Mb SDRAM & nVidia 6600GT graphics) the Sketch plug-in takes an age to render 9Mb+ Tiffs. Is there a workaround like choosing the settings on a low res file and the only processing the actual image when you are happy with the effect the settings are having or is the low res image effect different to the high res? I've never drunk so much coffee since waiting for these renders.

All I have to do now is pay for my version as the demo runs out in 5 days!!! Oh well, it's only money.
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 01-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Steve Conway's Avatar
Steve Conway Steve Conway is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,272
Re: Akvis Sketch 2.1 - Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael
Good point Steve (not Tiger ). I should have been more specific.

One way to restore color is to make a copy of the original, unmodified layer, change its blend mode to "Color," and then move it above the Akvis layer. This retains the Akvis detail, plus makes it easy to lower opacity for a more subtle color effect, mess with Hue/Saturation on the color layer for bolder colors or to apply an overall tone for, say, a sepia look.

Another way is to add one or more layers above the Akvis layer, set the blend mode to Color and manually paint whatever colors anywhere you like.

Doing color manipulation outside of the plugin, to me, is faster and easier -- especially on high resolution images that take Sketch a long time to render on my sometimes painfully slow computer.

~Danny~
Haven't tried layers with Sketch yet, but your suggestions are very good. So will have to give that a shot ASAP. I like working with layering and blends anyway.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Try It: Soft Sketch Cheryl H The BEST of Photo-Art 13 02-27-2013 07:22 PM
REVIEW: Akvis Sketch plugin DannyRaphael Photo-Art Resources 18 09-12-2009 08:30 AM
Sheri's Sketch - HELP NEEDED! tonyt Software 7 06-28-2007 05:22 AM
New Sketch Plugin Xaran Software 5 09-01-2006 04:18 PM
Tutorial: Sketch, Miscellaneous Insights (Mark SWEngineer) SWEngineer Photo-Art Resources 5 12-20-2004 12:02 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved