RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Pictures from Meribel

Old 02-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Re: Pictures from Meribel

Peter,Craig,Steve,Palms andLyle....Very nice renditions of Garys photos...

Painted in Painter,poster edges and framed with an action in Photoshop...

Patricia....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ski-3.jpg (91.8 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2007, 05:28 PM

Thanks everyone for all the new works, I really appreciate all your efforts.

I'm running out of superlatives, so haven't got anything original to add, only to say that I love them all.

If the original photos are OK, it's entirely down to the subject matter, and the quality of Canon cameras, and nothing to do with the ham fisted buffoon who took them. I merely pointed, framed and squeezed them off.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
If the original photos are OK, it's entirely down to the subject matter, and the quality of Canon cameras, and nothing to do with the ham fisted buffoon who took them. I merely pointed, framed and squeezed them off.

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 02:56 PM

hehehe, dee dee, peter, cj just an old hypocrite here
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter S
But that buffoon needed eyes to see, a brain to interpret what was seen, and a talent for knowing when to press the button.

Peter
OK, I'll concede that, but for every "good" pic I take, there's generally a dozen or so that don't bear looking at.

Anyway, I use a "point and snap" camera when I'm skiing, anything else is just too bulky to carry.

I've got an SLR, but it mostly sits in the cupboard these days (and as it's a film camera it's likely to stay there), but if I ever find the time (highly unlikely as things stand) I'd like to upgrade to a Digital SLR and see where that takes me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
OK, I'll concede that, but for every "good" pic I take, there's generally a dozen or so that don't bear looking at.

Anyway, I use a "point and snap" camera when I'm skiing, anything else is just too bulky to carry.

I've got an SLR, but it mostly sits in the cupboard these days (and as it's a film camera it's likely to stay there), but if I ever find the time (highly unlikely as things stand) I'd like to upgrade to a Digital SLR and see where that takes me.
Have heard many times that for every photo published in National Geographic, several rolls of film are shot. Probably the same with digital. Although being able to see what you just shot could cut down on this ratio a bit I suppose.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway
Have heard many times that for every photo published in National Geographic, several rolls of film are shot. Probably the same with digital. Although being able to see what you just shot could cut down on this ratio a bit I suppose.

Steve C.
Probably very true, I don't suppose there's anyone out there that gets them all right, but they probably don't get them quite as wrong as some of mine sometimes seem to be .

As for being able to see what you've shot, my camera's a few years old now, so the "preview" screen is pretty small and it's hard to get more than an impression of what you've actually taken. I usually just keep everything and look at them on my computer screen to see whether I can do anything with them before consigning them to the bin or not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 03:56 PM

Man, I just hate throwing shots in the trash. Two reasons.

1. The advancement of Photoshop where they just keep adding recovery tools and the ability to salvage a shot. Just consider Highlight/Shadow adjustment or some things you can correct in Camera Raw (especially the Beta's new ability to open JPEG or TIFF in CRW).

2. You may have captured one or two good things you could use in another photo via cloning. This is especially true on a single photo shoot.. Good eyes in this picture, but she's got no smile... Good smile in that picture, but her eyes were shut. Now you have to reconsider and think in terms of CS3's ability to align and blend layers.

I don't throw anything away. CDs are cheap and I always backup my shoots to CD first thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-07-2007, 04:41 PM

I'm with you there, and truth to tell I consign very few shots to the bin. I've got piles of discs full of "junk" photos just waiting to see if they might be useful (strong squirrelling tendencies run in my family ).

Of course finding that particular shot when I need it is another thing altogether, that's where me and the squirrel part company, a squirrel tends to remember where it puts its nuts (else they starve), whereas I can never find anything I've put away for safe keeping.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2007, 10:14 PM

I had a little play with this and what fun it turned out to be.

It's ready for your next postcard..... LOL

TwoLaidBack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meribel~TLB-1.jpg (97.0 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art