Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Anaglyphs and Stereograms

Old 03-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Anaglyphs and Stereograms

a bit of a coincident that doug just opened up the new synthetic imaging forum while at the same time a friend of mine on has been working with 3D images that DO use the 3D glasses. and, since doug specifically mentioned that the synthetic forum was NOT for 3D glasses types, i thought i'd start a thread here.

ok, first things first; what's an anaglyph? using a google define, i got this answer:
A stereoscopic picture consisting of two images of the same object, taken from slightly different angles, in two complementary colors. When viewed through colored spectacles, the images merge to produce a stereoscopic sensation.
so, basically, this is the good old 3D stuff we used to see in theatres and other places. and yes, you DO need 3D glasses to see this stuff correctly.

3D glasses normally have one eye frame in red and the other in blue. my glasses are red over the left eye and blue over the right. therefore, if you're looking at images i post here you shld have the same.

so, my friend, CFandM, over at filterforge has made a filter forge filter that creates anaglyphs. you can find the thread in the FF forums where all this is going on, here: .

he's got a number of filters that do these, but the latest one blew my socks off. so, i thought i'd post some examples here.

if you happen to go to that forum and look at that thread and the images posted there, you may get differing results from others that have commented. CF and i noticed, in some of the earlier examples, that he was seeing things that i didnt and vice versa. so, monitors, software drivers, video cards and maybe even your operating system may affect your individual results. so, have a look at a number of those over there.

also, there seems to be two or three different ways to tailor these things. in some of his examples i'd see the whole image set back in the monitor. one or two i'd see pop out from the monitor and in yet others, i'd see depth between the different elements within the picture. but, in this latest filter he's done, i see it all, set back in the monitor, popping out and internal depth. quite fascinating.

ok, now i hope i'm not the only one that's going to post here. if you've done these yourself or have a link to a tutorial on how to do these, please, post them up. the filter forge filter is self-contained. you dont have to take two separate images and finagle them around and dont have to do any coloring. it's all done within the filter with only one image input.

to start, this image is from a filter i made and CF then adapted to the anaglyph process. there is no image input on this one. the images are generated by the filter i made and the 3D effect is generated on that from the part that CF added.

so, don your glasses and have a look!

edit: one thing i've noticed with these when you first put on your glasses to look. your eyes may need a few seconds to adjust before you really see the 3D effect, so be patient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kaleid-Ana-FF-1-k-1b.jpg (97.2 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Re: Anaglyphs and Stereograms

Facinating, Craig.

Here's another thread on this topic:
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art