RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Portraits

Old 05-12-2007, 11:54 AM

Portraits

Hope I can express my question in a manner you can understand.
When doing a portrait in my paint program (gertrudis at the time) I am finding that I am maybe not adding enough texture etc. in the face area for fear of losing detail. The body of my work looks OK and like a painting but sometimes it looks like a photo of a head sitting on a rougher painting. Hope I am making this clear. It always seems to print a little clearer then what it looks like also so the final print ens up looking like I described above.(photo sitting on a painting.) I'm still new at this and will keep trying but just needed some influence and suggestions on this matter. I have included a photo/portrait (before and after)that I have done of my neice from several years ago. Pleased with the results but I still question if I could have gone a little more for the paint look in the face. I printed this out in 8X10 format and but maybe if I went larger it might look more like I want it too. Thanks for all you do here to make this an educational stop as well as a great forum for entertainment too.

bcarll
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dan009-copyweb.jpg (76.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg jewel2web.jpg (88.6 KB, 71 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2007, 07:06 AM

Re: Portraits

Bcarll
I would agree that you need to add some brush strokes to the face/head. And in my opion I wouldn't add the canvas texture to the painting but I would have it printed on a canvas.
I like the clothes.
Cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2007, 09:06 AM

bcarll

Here's a version of your lovely niece that I did using my "Soft Portrait" method. I have a video tutorial on this on my web site. See the link below. Jpeg compression really doesn't do this justice, but try your own to really see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg niece.jpg (89.1 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2007, 12:57 PM

Cathy

Thanks for your comments -- I have never tried having a picture put on canvas so it will be an adventure. I know there is much written here about having that done so I'll investigate.

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2007, 01:00 PM

Thanks Swampy -- will check your website out and give that technique a try. Thanks for takng the time to do this picture for me and to give me some suggestions.

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2007, 02:22 PM

bcarll

I just picked up two canvas pieces Saturday. A 40 inch dolphin that I "painted" for a wedding gift for my niece that really turned out nice. You should be able to find someone in your area that can do giclee.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2007, 10:22 AM

Hi bcarll and what a cute photo. I believe the problem you express is a common one when people start artifying portraits - how to keep the features recognizable and clear while producing an artlike look. The technique of smudging is very useful for this and I know there are some tutorials on this site. I use PHotoshop for smudging and Painter for its blending brushes. THe eyes for me are the hardest part and I've noticed that many painted portraits retain the photographic eyes. Anyhoo, I would definitely start with smudging - it does well on faces. I had a very quick go at the picture.
MargaretM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cutebaby.jpg (98.3 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2007, 01:29 PM

Swampy---I'm glad you mentioned your website on this post! I'm a beginner and was trilled to see your videos. Plan on viewing all of them! (if one could only play with the computer the majority of day life would be good.....mmmmm...need to go buy a lottery ticket!) Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2007, 02:41 PM

Enjoy, dmrdm! :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2007, 09:40 PM

MargaretM --Love what you did to my portrait. How did you achieve the brush strokes to resemble such a real look? Looks just like a canvas. All I ever do is select a texture from PS and apply but it never looks like yours. Great job --- your're good!! Really like the cropping you did -- will try that one myself -----
bcarll
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art