RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Pencil Pixels 2!!!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 PM

Pencil Pixels 2!!!

Hi All,
Has anyone heard about the new Pencil Pixels 2?
Cheers,
Sylvie-Anne
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Re: Pencil Pixels 2!!!

I heard awhille back v2 was "in the works," but no details.

[just confirmed by msg on their site as of June 18, 2007]
http://www.pencilpixels.com/html/buyit.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Anyone know if Pencil Pixels will work on PS 6?

Also any comments, good or bad, on this software will be appreciated.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2007, 04:28 PM

re: Estimated availability of v2
In response to an e-mail, Joe (the developer) replied v2 should be out in a couple months (approximately third quarter 2007).

re: Compatibility with PS6
Per the website: "The PencilPixel One-Click Photoshop Actions have been tested on Macintosh and Windows versions of Photoshop 7, CS and CS2."

That said I can confirm many of the actions rely heavily on very distinctive effect rendered by the Anisotropic option of the Stylize > Diffuse filter. This option was introduced in PS7.

I believe I read once upon a time that if PS 6 executes a Stylize > Diffuse > Anisotropic command in an action, "nothing happens" -- as opposed to failing at that point. However the resulting image without application of the Anisotropic effect would look much different than one where Anisotropic had been applied.

re: Also any comments, good or bad, on this software will be appreciated.
To clarify this is a collection of Photoshop actions, not an independent application.

If you haven't yet, see: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-based-art/17439-review-one-click-automated-instant-art-effects-volume-1-a.html

It's pretty much a subjective call, Steve. Some people who have a use for these types of effects really like these actions; others who don't like actions in general or prefer, say, Painter, Studio Artist, etc. weigh in at the other end of the spectrum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRaphael View Post
re: Estimated availability of v2
In response to an e-mail, Joe (the developer) replied v2 should be out in a couple months (approximately third quarter 2007).

re: Compatibility with PS6
Per the website: "The PencilPixel One-Click Photoshop Actions have been tested on Macintosh and Windows versions of Photoshop 7, CS and CS2."

That said I can confirm many of the actions rely heavily on very distinctive effect rendered by the Anisotropic option of the Stylize > Diffuse filter. This option was introduced in PS7.

I believe I read once upon a time that if PS 6 executes a Stylize > Diffuse > Anisotropic command in an action, "nothing happens" -- as opposed to failing at that point. However the resulting image without application of the Anisotropic effect would look much different than one where Anisotropic had been applied.

re: Also any comments, good or bad, on this software will be appreciated.
To clarify this is a collection of Photoshop actions, not an independent application.

If you haven't yet, see: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photo-based-art/17439-review-one-click-automated-instant-art-effects-volume-1-a.html

It's pretty much a subjective call, Steve. Some people who have a use for these types of effects really like these actions; others who don't like actions in general or prefer, say, Painter, Studio Artist, etc. weigh in at the other end of the spectrum.
Thanks man, some good info. Probably will pass on this one if it needs anisotropic. Now if Elements 2 could run actions, it has that filter.

I am particularly interested in the poster/vector action/filter. The one that shows a group seated around a table and gives it a vector/posterized look. If this can be had somewhere I would be interested. Or any idea how to get this look. (See attachments.)

Any info on this?

Thanks again.

Steve C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa group.jpg (29.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg aa group11.jpg (98.3 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2007, 07:08 PM
Patron

I like the vector look too. $95 is a little stiff for me, but I'm really thinking about it because of this (pencil sketch too). They also have some cool and free styles on their website too, which I've already used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway View Post
I am particularly interested in the poster/vector action/filter. The one that shows a group seated around a table and gives it a vector/posterized look. (See attachments.)

...Any idea how to get this look. Any info on this?
In Elements (or Photoshop) try the following:
* Duplicate Background
* Blur > Smart Blur (normal) - Experiment with the settings. The objective is to simplify the image a bit
* Stylize > Diffuse > Anisotropic - Apply maybe a couple of times. Some people (like Mike Finn, an accomplished action author) rotate the image 90 degrees between applications.
* Sharpen > Unsharp mask - to taste
* Levels, Hue/Saturation - to taste

Some combination of the above steps should get you in the ballpark.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2007, 03:34 AM

Hi All,
Well I've done it - purchased Pencil Pixels Vol. 1. As soon as my son downloads his Photoshop 7 on our home computer I'll be off and running! Hopefully that will be tomorrow, I want it now. I'm like a starving dog infront of a Butcher's shop window! Will let you know how I go. I dread downloading plugins, software etc. I get in such a muddle. Nearly went mad with Impressionists but got there in the end, don't quite remember how

By the way thank you for a wonderful forum, I've learnt so much here and still have so much to learn.

Sylvie-Anne
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2007, 09:11 AM

Learning is half the fun! There is no end to it no matter how long you have been playing at this hobby.

Hope you enjoy the PP actions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkroll View Post
I like the vector look too. $95 is a little stiff for me, but I'm really thinking about it because of this (pencil sketch too). They also have some cool and free styles on their website too, which I've already used.
Yeah it is a bit pricey and a lot of the actions are dupes of plugins I have. But I really would like to get that version of the poster/vector look.

Check out Danny's tutorial. I am going to see what I accomplish with that.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art