RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Dawg Days

Old 06-26-2007, 06:54 AM

Dawg Days

Heres one of my buddy...trying to improve my background techniques.

http://www.scatteredlightphotography.com/Oils/cleo3.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Re: Dawg Days

Hi
rab3rd 1st the background like the style and the texture is ok ( not a lover of texture) personaly i think the colour is a bit harsh and could be toned down some with hue/saturation
2nd Your "buddy" i like this one much better than the last dog image i saw of yours ( is it the same dog ?) especialy like the eyes
3rd if you want to soften the edges of your subject and the background , try Trimoons soften edge smudge tool it can be downloaded from here
http://www.trimoon.com/html/smudging.html
I find it quite a useful tool

Hope you get on with improving your backgrounds, I also have trouble with them and keep trying to improve.

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Hi Rab3rd
Great looking dog and great painting job on the dog, as a casual viewer with no artistic talent I have a cheek to critic it but here goes......
It appears to me to have been 'cut and pasted' on to a background which I think is too overpowering. Please don't be offended as apart from that it is a very nice pic.

Gilbert
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with both of you and no offense is taken. I think the reason it looks cut and paste is because I masked the texture out on the dog. I did a version without texture but scraped it due to a poor background. You comments have confirmed what I was thinking. Yes it is the same dog as my other dog post. This really my first attempt at a background other than smudging the colors that were already there......long way to go but I will get there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:48 AM

Hey rab3rd,

I don't have issues with anything you've done and would be proud to have one of your paintings on my wall of my dog. Yes maybe your background is a bit bold but why not. Your edges are a little sharp but easily fixed if you wanted to. I would like to know more about your technique etc. Would really like to try to achieve results like you have.

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-28-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarll View Post
Hey rab3rd,

I don't have issues with anything you've done and would be proud to have one of your paintings on my wall of my dog. Yes maybe your background is a bit bold but why not. Your edges are a little sharp but easily fixed if you wanted to. I would like to know more about your technique etc. Would really like to try to achieve results like you have.

bcarll

Thanks for the encouragement! I just started doing "virtual oil painting" aka smudge painting about six weeks ago. I purchased some tutorial dvd's to get me started. I learned about the DVD's at the Cannon forum. One of the members there is selling them showing his techniques. You can get loads of info on "how to" right here on this site as well as the Cannon site. In addtion a google search will bring many hits on the subject. I myself jumped in full and purchased a Wacom Intous3 tablet before I even recieved my DVD's. I had done a couple of paintings using the mouse (which is perfectly doable) and decided I enjoyed it so much that I wanted to get something a little more accurate. The tablet is a bit costly but it really makes a difference. Not only in the painting but in all photo manipulation that I do. Even if it is just doing red fixes or simple dodge and burn to B & W conversions. Anyway, the real key is practice, practice, practice.....read, read, read......observe, observe, observe.....

Hope some of this helps. Now get to it and post something so everyone here can see it and help you learn.....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art