Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

What do you guys think of this??

Old 07-14-2007, 08:46 AM
Re: What do you guys think of this??

Originally Posted by mfgriggs View Post
rab3rd....thanks for taking the time to help me with this image.

here is a larger sample.
I see what rab3rd means ( i think) which dosent seem as apparent on the bigger version especially if you stand away from the monitor, but what is catching my eye is the yellow/ purple just above the third racer from the right as you look at the screen, sorry i hate critisising something i like

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Ok, I think I see what it is now. Starting from the left:

The rider with the black helmet: The color in the background around his helmet is different enough from the rest of the trees that it has a kind of "halo" effect.

Rider #3 yellow helmet: Same deal as the other only it looks like a double image.

Rider #5 White helmet: His right shoulder and the background color create what looks like the white was dragged on to the background color.

Rider#7 Whitish helmet: Same deal as the balck helmet rider. There is a quick jump in the color of the surrounding trees to a color that looks a different than the rest of the trees.

Rider#8 Black helmet: The purple orange area, I am assuming it to be a flag. Didnt see this on the smaller version but it stands out in the bigger one.

And lastly: The railing between riders 7 and 9 is a little mucky. On its own no biggie but given the crispness of the railing in front of the group it kind of jumps out at me. Not sure what you could do about it except maybe just get rid of it all together.

Please know that I am no expert and what I have said is mearly my opinion. Over all I think the painting is fantastic and would have no problem hanging it in my home. If you sell it like it is or make some changes you should be proud that it will be viewed by the public. I hope someday to be able to say the same. Please also bear in mind that I have a conflicting mind, I am an engineer and a artist(if I may be so bold as to call myself and artist). Sometimes they work together, sometimes they dont. Point being that I will pick up on things that lots of other people dont see for some reason. Anyway, I hope I helped and didnt offer to much info. Another of my personality traits, or so my wife says...TMI I here, TMI......

Last edited by rab3rd; 07-14-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Very nice. One thing that my eye is drawn to is the hind legs of the first horse. I believe it is the back left leg that is giving my eyes the problem. It kind of looks like it comes out of the belly on the right side by the strap. Other than that, it is just wonderful!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art