RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Pain in the Neck

Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 PM

Pain in the Neck

To my friends at photo art ,

For the past few weeks I have had a terrible stiff neck. Finally went to the Drs and he injected both sides with a steroid and said give a couple days and see how it feels. Well after four days it still is bad but maybe some little relief. I guess the reason for my posting this messsage is to ask what you all do to relieve stress and discomfort in the neck region while sitting in front of the computer. I think we all get that way at times? I'm sure my photo sessions are aggrevating the situation if not the cause of it. So any helpful hints or suggestions appreciated.

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2007, 03:41 PM

Re: Pain in the Neck

One thing that might help is to place your monitor so that you don't have to crane your neck to either look up at it or down at it. Ideally, the top edge of the monitor should be at eye level so that only your eyes have to move to see down the screen when sitting up straight.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2007, 03:45 PM

hi,
well things i do that works for me...
1. a good heigth on the chair (also with goood back support) .... very important your body feel comfortable and relax and doesn't have to adjust to the keyboard or monitor....
2. monitor and eyelevel should be about even.... or if your eyes are little higher than the monitor... tilt the monitor .. where you only need to shift your eyes and not your head/neck /back!! t see...
the end result of this is that you should should not have to bend or slouch your body , your head , which stresses the muscles , in order to see comfortably the screen...

another thing i do is take frequent breaks..walk around a little... exercise those neck muscles...... that helps relaxes the muscles....long periods of your body being stiff or inactive,,,, that strains the muscles too much.. hense cramps, pains etc...

well those are my thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarll View Post
To my friends at photo art ,

For the past few weeks I have had a terrible stiff neck. Finally went to the Drs and he injected both sides with a steroid and said give a couple days and see how it feels. Well after four days it still is bad but maybe some little relief. I guess the reason for my posting this messsage is to ask what you all do to relieve stress and discomfort in the neck region while sitting in front of the computer. I think we all get that way at times? I'm sure my photo sessions are aggrevating the situation if not the cause of it. So any helpful hints or suggestions appreciated.

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2007, 09:39 PM

All of the above is great advice. I also use a soft neck brace because of severe arthritis. This forces me to do the above.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 05:03 AM

At the risk of sounding like a spammer I wanted to let you know of a new remedy for "Tech Neck" from sitting at a computer. Our modern technology definitely can have a detrimental effect on our spines and muscles. I am getting relief from the tense trapezius muscles plus many other problems. A new pillow aids in relieving the tech neck stress. I invented and patented the SquidFace and ComfyRest pillows to relieve my pain from a herniated neck disk. For tech neck they work facedown or face up. www.SquidFace.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. Janet I have thought about using a brace like you talk about. Is yours Dr prescribed or can you buy it like in a pharmacy?

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarll View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. Janet I have thought about using a brace like you talk about. Is yours Dr prescribed or can you buy it like in a pharmacy?

bcarll
I "borrowed" an extra one my mother had after her last neck surgery. It has made a lot of difference. In answer to your question, yes, I can pick one up at a medical supply place for a nominal fee or I can have the Dr. authorize one.

Janet
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art