Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Help! Looking for a legit site...

Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Help! Looking for a legit site...

I joined this site because I'm trying to find an artist that will turn a photo into a painting--using no filters or tricks...a real painting. The trouble is I'm really uncertain about some of these sites. A lot of them seem 'too good to be true.' I live in St. Louis, Missouri and was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction to someone who would do this locally and who is trust-worthy. The painting is going to be for my mom's 50th birthday.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Re: Help! Looking for a legit site...

A fellow St. Louisan! Welcome.

If no one has any advice for you, I suggest you might want to try They cater more to the paint-and-brush artist crowd. We have a few, but we're more digitally-inclined here.

Also, you'll be severely limiting yourself if you must stay local. Though you might want to contact STLCC to see if they can recommend a talented student.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Cat Bounds is in Little Rock, Arkansas. She is a marvelous painter in both digital mediums and with traditional methods. She is a member here but doesn't post regularly. The easiest way to find her is by going to If you would like to see samples of her work, she can be found at pbase as well.

Good luck to you.

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2007, 08:07 AM

I would suggest that you look for a local artist through art schools or any galleries that you have in town. Trying to find a traditional painter via the internet is not the way I would go. You really cant get a close look at their work and see their stroke style. I am sure there are plenty of good artist selling their services via the net that would do a fine job but doing that you really miss out on part of the experience of buying custon art work, meeting the artist. When you meet the artist in person and converse with them you become more connected to the piece than if you had just exchanged a few emails. The piece will mean more to you and your mother if you can tell her more about the artist than "oh he/she seems really nice. The emails were very well written"

Anyway, JM2CW

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art