Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Lily Pond

Old 09-15-2007, 09:17 PM

Re: Lily Pond

thanks, lk

thanks, susie

yes, i'm liking all the glass effects in filter forge as well. it's always interesting, though, how one filter will work well on one image and then look ugly as hell on another. and on this pic by susie, most of the glass seems to work very well. must be the photographer

i like that one too, cass. has a sort of silk look to the petals.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-15-2007, 09:23 PM

this picture just lends itself so well to what we do here, that i had to do another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pond1-ff-sim-bas-ed-4-k-1a.jpg (127.8 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2007, 09:12 AM

Thanks Craig, but the photographer just got lucky. Did you use filter forge for this one too? I really like 'simple drama' of it.

Besides trying to learn different techniques, you know what I'm learning that I've learned by being here at RP? I've learned that there are SOOOoo many different styles that can make one picture look so unlike and BETTER than its original. And, everyone has a unique "eye" for their renditions. I think to put it into one word, diversity, is with what I'm so impressed. I love this place!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 PM

hi susie,

yes, filter forge first and then back to psp xi for a little post work.

and yes, we've quite a diverse group with diverse tastes here. and i agree, always amazing, always interesting and glad you're one of them and enjoy the site
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 12:04 AM

ok, i had another go at this, only this time i created a filter in filter forge just for this picture. basically, it blurs and subdues the background a bit and sharpens and highlights the foreground a bit... ok, quite a bit. i just wanted to see what it would look like if i 'popped' things a bit. not really art, i suppose. just sort of a what if.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pond1-ff-pop-fg-1-k-1a.jpg (189.9 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-18-2007, 04:05 PM

If I am right these flower are Nicotianas (Tobacco Plant), very scented in the early evenings. to me the stronger scented ones are the whites.
If these are the dwarf variety, up to about 10-12 inches, they are unscented, sad to say. (I hope they are the normal ones)

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nicos-l.jpg (98.9 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2007, 08:30 AM

Craig, your filter really accomplishes what you set out to do, the picture definitely 'pops'.

Peter, I'm not sure what those flowers are, I named the picture after the lily pads but those flowers weren't growing in the pond but off to the side. When I lived in Canada, I had a flower bed full of the Nicotianas, a neighbor had given me seeds. As I recall, the type that I had, the flowers stayed closed during daylight and opened in the evenings and were scented. I loved those plants and am hoping to order some seeds for next year, once I find a suitable place to build another flower bed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcramer53 View Post
Craig, your filter really accomplishes what you set out to do, the picture definitely 'pops'.

Peter, I'm not sure what those flowers are, I named the picture after the lily pads but those flowers weren't growing in the pond but off to the side. When I lived in Canada, I had a flower bed full of the Nicotianas, a neighbor had given me seeds. As I recall, the type that I had, the flowers stayed closed during daylight and opened in the evenings and were scented. I loved those plants and am hoping to order some seeds for next year, once I find a suitable place to build another flower bed.
Whoa hang on. These plants give thousands of seeds out, ask the neighbours I'm sure they would love to share them, gardeners do.
They will germinate okay, you just can't guarantee what colours you will get, but you should get lots of different shades which is good.

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM

Thanks Peter, I'm sure my neighbors will be more than willing to share .
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
thanks, susie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art