Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

My 5,000th post (maybe I should get a real life)

Old 09-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Re: My 5,000th post (maybe I should get a real life)

I'm late to the party because I've been out of pocket for a few days. I hope it isn't too late to join with the others in shouting kudos, praises, and best wishes to you Danny. You are truly an inspiration to RTP.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Thumbs up Re: My 5,000th post (maybe I should get a real life)

Congrats and thanks for all you do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 PM

A belated, but heartfelt thanks to each of you for taking time to reply and for your kind words. They are very much appreciated. It’s helpful and kind folks like you who make RetouchPRO what it is: a classy and fun place to participate and hang out.

Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
my RetouchPRO history is a little fuzzy, but didn’t you also start the art forum?
I’m not sure if Doug created a separate forum because he saw the future in terms of how popular this area of photo manipulation would become or in response to the many who privately complained that photo-art posts should not be mixed among the retouching / restoration threads. (It was probably somewhere in between.) In any event before there was an art forum I was among a rabid few who keep posting arty interpretations. Doug took notice of my enthusiasm, offered me this high paying job and the rest is happy history.

Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
… You showed me that Photo art could be part of editing too. Thanks!
Very true, CJ... I've found that many of the skills I've picked up while tinkering with arty effects are applicable to almost any direction one wants to go in Photoshop, for example things like masking, selections, channel manipulations, PS actions, blend modes (layer and when using tools), cloning, healing, etc., etc.

Originally Posted by Gary Richardson View Post
Your forum and enthusiasm were what "converted" me to Photo Art Danny. Granted I'm still hopelessly inept at the subject, but I've been tempted to "have a go" on several occasions, and I've always been fascinated, inspired and impressed by much of the work I've seen there.
People as technicallly astute as you are, Gary, need to "unplug" and have a little unrestricted fun once in awhile. I'm glad you took the leap. Hopefully others might think this art thing is not a cool thing to do will be inspired by you and follow in your footsteps.

Speaking of inspiration, I'm inspired almost daily by the amazing creations people craft and post.

Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
…It's a great place to wander around. Certainly as good as a Hardware Store or a Bookstore or even a Nursery - (I'm not allowed in any of those places with a wallet or a credit card.)
The amount of money I have spent on software and plugins e.g. multiple versions of Photoshop, Corel Painter, Buzz, Virtual Painter, Snap Art, etc., books and tutorials (too many to mention), etc. I’ve learned about at RetouchPRO would feed a small army, but definitely less than what I would have spent at places like Home Depot, Lowes or Costco (popular U.S. stores where it is very easy to spend a LOT of money without trying).

Originally Posted by sharynideas View Post
I'm one of the newbies who took the plunge. I wouldn't have done it without your encouragement…your patience with us novices is endless. Thanks.
You’re welcome and I'm delighted to see how much you've grown skill-wise in such a short time. You're a shining example of someone who took the plunge, hit the ground running and "There's no stopping you now."

FWIW: It took me a few years but I'm now totally over my self-imposed "guilt" for "can barely draw stick figures" by means of traditional drawing/painting skills. Using digital tools like actions, plugins, filters, etc. to create digital art are as valid as a wet brush, pencil or piece of charcoal. Hey, if someone can create art from a log with a chainsaw or "sculpt" a block of ice with a blowtorch, anything goes.

Bottom line: If you, your family and/or YOUR CUSTOMERS like your work, that's what counts.

Isn't the freedom to create with tools of choice a wonderful thing?

As I've stated many times before...

"Keep having fun."
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2007, 11:37 PM

Just being my usual "tail-end Charlie"...

Congratulations Danny!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art