RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

Creative Interpretations - Venice Boat

Old 10-16-2007, 08:26 PM

Re: Creative Interpretations - Venice Boat

Oh, man, Steve. I wish I knew how to convert them. I know how you feel though, I would love to have a Mac version of Impressionist. :-(
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Oh, man, Steve. I wish I knew how to convert them. I know how you feel though, I would love to have a Mac version of Impressionist. :-(
Yeah, most of the brushes in PS 6 seem to be for doing weird and strange things.

All I want to do is nice, sometimes heavy, brush strokes but leaving detail in tact. I can get close on some images, but I want control on the detail more. And all these fancy brushes that I find to download for PS 6 tend to give me abstracts.

What I am looking for is like what Alcar did with this image. I might even want to bring out just a bit more detail. At least that is the capability I would like while working with the AHB in PS 6.

Steve C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aa example Alcar.jpg (83.8 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia1065 View Post
Thanks for the beautiful picture, Swampy!
You guys did a fantastic job on this one!!!
Peter, what's the name of the action you used? I recognize the style but can't remember the name of the action...
Sylvia

Sylvia sorry its taken me a while to reply. No actions used for my attempt at all. I used the Cutout filter with an overlaid layer with a Redfields++ bas relief plug-in, plus a texture layer overlaid on op of that. Plus some colour tweaks of course.

Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 10:36 AM

Steve, To restore detail, I use the History Brush with a small semi hard brush and set the history back to the original file (turn the eyeball on the Open history state). That's what I did to key in on the bridge area of my painting above.

For those who don't know...When using the history brushes you can "jump" or copy the current history to a new layer, then go back to the history layer select and delete all and continue painting. When I do this, I usually drag the copied layer below the history layer so that new painting can be seen on top of it. Also, when I remember, I try to name a jumped layer as the name of the brush I used.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Steve, To restore detail, I use the History Brush with a small semi hard brush and set the history back to the original file (turn the eyeball on the Open history state). That's what I did to key in on the bridge area of my painting above.

For those who don't know...When using the history brushes you can "jump" or copy the current history to a new layer, then go back to the history layer select and delete all and continue painting. When I do this, I usually drag the copied layer below the history layer so that new painting can be seen on top of it. Also, when I remember, I try to name a jumped layer as the name of the brush I used.
Let me give that a try. Having just started to use the AHB I am pretty awkward with it and it's not allowing me enough flexability. That is, to be able to repeat the brushing on subsequent layers with different sizes of the brush until I get the amount of detail I want on a particular image, then stop. This may not be possible, but your idea sounds like it might allow me to do something like that.

Stay tuned!

And thank you ma'm.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the steps, Peter, I really like what you did with yours.

Steve, are you saying the thumbnail you posted is a picture done by Alcar? It looks like a Monet!!! Do you know where's that thread?
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...4&d=1192632799

By the way, resize your brush way down to bring back details with the AHB. The hard mechanical brush is pretty good used as a AHB brush.

Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvia1065 View Post
Thanks for the steps, Peter, I really like what you did with yours.

Steve, are you saying the thumbnail you posted is a picture done by Alcar? It looks like a Monet!!! Do you know where's that thread?
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/att...4&d=1192632799

By the way, resize your brush way down to bring back details with the AHB. The hard mechanical brush is pretty good used as a AHB brush.

Sylvia
Alcar posted two images to the thread "Creative Interpretations Holland Amsterdam Canal."

Thanks for the tip. Don't believe I have that brush on PS 6, but will check.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2007, 12:51 PM

I apologize for not thanking you earlier for this last post, Steve, I couldn't find it anymore. Sorry.
Sylvia
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2007, 07:19 PM

Missed this thread earlier but since I like Venice (pictures only so far) thought I'd try 2

Regards

Bob Mc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg venice1.jpg (132.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg venice2.jpg (144.5 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 AM

Very nice, Bob. :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art