RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo-Based Art Emulating natural-media painting techniques

return of the cuties

Old 10-18-2007, 10:48 AM

Re: return of the cuties

Gilbert, Palms, exceptional work. Congratulations!! Both images give me that warm puppy feeling.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Had to come back to this cutie! What is it about puppies????

I used a texture map to add some brush strokes.
Great effect, Swampy. What texture did you use and how did you apply it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM

Thank you Gerry. I think used a sharpened copy of my smudged layer.

Copied smudge layer to a new document and did an edge mask sharpen. Did some independent Levels adjustment on it and saved that as the bump map on my desktop. Then using Filter > Texturizer loaded the bump map, scaled to 100% tweaked the sliders and hit okay.

I have a tutorial on Texture Mapping. Just click my "Tutorial" link below to learn more. I'm using Photoshop and the map must be saved as a PSD file.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Gerry decided to do a more smooth look on this so i used Linda's smudge brush at the opacity of 60% and finished fluffing up the edges with tm's soften edges smudge brush at about the same opacity. If you want any more info just ask !
Palms
I really like your smudge picture. Your's is one of my favorite techniques and really want to learn it. I don't know if I have the right brushe for the job so I loaded Linda's brushes and used the Hair Brush at 60% with the smudge tool but it still doesn't look right. I use the background layer as my base and put a blank layer on top of it to do the smudging, but I'm not sure if this is right. I know it must not be that hard but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I would appreciate it if you could give me a few pointers on your technique. Also, if you there is a Linda smudge brush as you stated, could you tell me where to get it or send it to me? At this point, any advice and help would be welcomed. Thanks, in advance, from a frustrated PS user.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 02:05 AM

Thanks for the tips, Swampy. Now I have more things to learn (grin). Don't misunderstand me, I really love learning all these techniques. they're challenging and I enjoy challenges. The problem is everything seems to come in spurts. Oh well, I have plenty of time so I'll dig right in. BTW, I downloaded your Texture Mapping Tutorial and will review it. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 02:09 AM

Gilbert, that is an excellent painting/smudge picture of "cutie."
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
I really like your smudge picture. Your's is one of my favorite techniques and really want to learn it. I don't know if I have the right brushe for the job so I loaded Linda's brushes and used the Hair Brush at 60% with the smudge tool but it still doesn't look right. I use the background layer as my base and put a blank layer on top of it to do the smudging, but I'm not sure if this is right. I know it must not be that hard but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I would appreciate it if you could give me a few pointers on your technique. Also, if you there is a Linda smudge brush as you stated, could you tell me where to get it or send it to me? At this point, any advice and help would be welcomed. Thanks, in advance, from a frustrated Photoshop user.
Gerry
Brush: yes it is Linda's brushs but on this one i used the smudge brush that is in the list,I usually will use this one for skin at about 20%
most times i will use a hair brush for fur/hair but i decided to do something different this time
You can smudge directly onto a copy of your image or onto a blank layer (checking the use all layers box) Using a blank layer does slow your pc down though, on the plus side you can see where you have missed smudging. It really is down to individual choice i do both ! (thinking about it it might be easier/quicker at first to just smudge onto a copy of your original but the choice is yours
Oh Yes it can be hard but not impossible
again it is one of those that if you post a image or part of one it would be easier to give out more specific tips,
And remember that what you have smudged looks different when you have adjusted it (sharpening etc) at the end

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 PM

After 2 hours with Lisa's smudge brush and much sweating, I finally came up with something that looks half decent. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doggy_Smudge_GAB.jpg (95.8 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
After 2 hours with Lisa's smudge brush and much sweating, I finally came up with something that looks half decent. Let me know what you think.
Gerry you have done great it does get quicker and easier the more you do now have fun practicing and enjoy

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Patron

More GIMPressionist play.

Played around with GIMPressionist Wavy and Dotify presets. A few additional enhancements including the application of a canvas and voila. Here's the complete high quality rendering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doggy_crp.jpg (97.3 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo-Based Art